CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

13 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Just throwing a fact out: You stand by this even though your low confidence that the NCGA will grant Charlotte a sales tax increase. This is despite this section alone estimated to probably cost a Billion to design and construct. A billion more that the city would need to afford when funds are hard to come by as things currently stand. - Leaving my own opinions aside as much as possible -

Would be a catalyst for development which is very important as well as being mostly if not all grade separated to allow better travel time/speeds.  I think the 9th & 11th Transfer could work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - technical difficulties responding.  Anyway - More than 5 Original BlueLine Stations are seeing development activity.  Just took time for the really ‘low hanging’ fruit to be transformed / built up first.   Woodlawn & Arrowwood are very much coming into their own and expanding with hundreds of Residential Units at a fast pace for being so far away from Uptown & SouthEnd.  Tyvola & Archdale have much more limited potential without having to tear down and rebuild which is expensive.  Carson Station has been quite slow to develop substantially until just the last couple of years.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - technical difficulties responding.  Anyway - More than 5 Original BlueLine Stations are seeing development activity.  Just took time for the really ‘low hanging’ fruit to be transformed / built up first.   Woodlawn & Arrowwood are very much coming into their own and expanding with hundreds of Residential Units at a fast pace for being so far away from Uptown & SouthEnd.  Tyvola & Archdale have much more limited potential without having to tear down and rebuild which is expensive.  Carson Station has been quite slow to develop substantially until just the last couple of years.

Correlation isn't causation though. Did the light rail spur Woodlawn apartments or is it just organically happening as developers run out of land and scoop up the cheap motels and strip malls in that area? Massive apartment blocks are springing up in non-transit areas as well, so  it is tough to know if 10+ years later the urban sprawl occuring on Woodlawn (Accent Southrail has massive surface parking lot and looks like it belongs in Waverly or Steele Creek) is due to the station being there or if it is largely other factors like land prices, zoning, and being near breweries for marketing "LoSo." As newcomers look at South End and get priced out, they scan further south and the apartment developers convince people moving from out of town that LoSo is cool... little do they know they'll be near the sketchy Days Inn, gas stations, and fast food.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, LKN704 said:

Baltimore got almost a billion dollars in funding from the Feds a couple years back to build the E/W line (although as light rail, though it would operate in tunnels downtown) until for the outgoing Republican governor to cancel the project and redirect state funds to projects in Western Maryland. I'm hoping that with new leadership in Maryland that the project eventually resumes. 

And just days after expressing your wish, incoming Maryland Gov Wes Moore says getting the Red Line (roughly the E/W line on the map) built will be a priority of his administration. Apparently special language about funding for the Red Line was included in the Federal Infrastructure bill, so construction may be able to get moving relatively quickly.

I am in Baltimore 3-4 times a year and nearly every time I need to get from Camden Yards to Canton so I will (hopefully) be a regular rider. [say you are a white guy visiting Baltimore without actually saying it…]

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-09/md-governor-elect-pledges-to-revive-red-line-transit-project-in-baltimore

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kermit said:

And just days after expressing your wish, Incoming Maryland Gov Wes Moore says getting the Red Line (roughly the E/W line on the map) built will be a priority of his administration. Apparently special language about funding for the Red Line was included in the Federal Infrastructure bill, so construction may be able to get moving relatively quickly.

I am in Baltimore 3-4 times a year and nearly every time I need to get from Camden Yards to Canton so I will (hopefully) be a regular rider.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-09/md-governor-elect-pledges-to-revive-red-line-transit-project-in-baltimore

I was just going to post that. The governor again reiterated how strongly he feels about mass and the red line and he “vows” to have it done within his term. Is that possible? It’s aggressive. But it’s great to have the *state* government fight for it. I think the MD state legislature has already passed bills ready to go full steam ahead with the red line 

The previous governor stopped the red line and forfeited $900M from the Feds. The new governor vows to complete it and score Fed Infrastructure $’s.

And it’s more than likely going to be tunneled under a significant portion of the downtown area. 

My take away… it’s so disappointing that major infrastructure (like mass transit) needs state support and  there’s no hope on the horizon for NC to support mass transit in the cities which means it’s unlikely Charlotte gets any new rail transit lines. -.-“ which Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham deserve. 

Maryland & Baltimore can pull this off but North Carolina & Charlotte can’t? 

DCF75E8F-CD54-4143-9224-90D88215DD19.thumb.png.07e81efa7caedbe4f102d23563a613d2.png

9777C5F7-98BA-4440-9E94-50B59B190E20.thumb.jpeg.748d5d42df4324c1a555fd8585b18777.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

And just days after expressing your wish, Incoming Maryland Gov Wes Moore says getting the Red Line (roughly the E/W line on the map) built will be a priority of his administration. Apparently special language about funding for the Red Line was included in the Federal Infrastructure bill, so construction may be able to get moving relatively quickly.

I am in Baltimore 3-4 times a year and nearly every time I need to get from Camden Yards to Canton so I will (hopefully) be a regular rider.

Great. Governor Hogan was a jerk for canceling this while simultaneously allowing the Purple Line in PG and Montgomery Counties to proceed. Next, I would like to see the DC and Baltimore metros connected via BWI.

• Like 1

Anyone else feel like the proposed station locations are way too far apart to attract enough people and to foster useful trips? With most of the urban stations locations adjacent to 277 or Independence they also limit the amount of people that are conveniently located. For example, who is the central station supposed to serve? A large portion of the Plaza population will be located way too far from the central or pecan stations to ever be convenient. The plaza area is at a disadvantage since a highway and a railroad deny it connections. 

image.png.b5c5b0437909032a6ca8b7a375baba2c.png

• Like 2

File under Comical Construction Costs:
according to this wiki post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryfast Norway (one of the most expensive, environmentally sensitive and worker-safety conscious nations on earth) built 8.9 miles of bored, undersea tunnel for roughly $500 million usd. A silver line tunnel under uptown would be appx 1.5 miles — roughly $90 million usd (plus stations) at these costs.
I have no doubt that the Silver Line situation through uptown is different in many ways (although the geology may be similar), but this should make clear that our construction costs are just insane, and we could have decent transit if we bothered to learn from others (the Spanish also know a thing or two about tunneling through hard rock)

The Norwegians have built hundreds of miles of tunnel in a relatively concentrated area so their knowledge, experience, and labor skills will tend to lend them a hand in terms of lower tunneling costs. When someone builds something a lot, they tend to build it faster and or at a lower cost.
  • Like 2

File under Comical Construction Costs:

according to this wiki post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryfast Norway (one of the most expensive, environmentally sensitive and worker-safety conscious nations on earth) built 8.9 miles of bored, undersea tunnel for roughly $500 million usd. A silver line tunnel under uptown would be appx 1.5 miles — roughly $90 million usd (plus stations) at these costs.

I have no doubt that the Silver Line situation through uptown is different in many ways (although the geology may be similar), but this should make clear that our construction costs are just insane, and we could have decent transit if we bothered to learn from others (the Spanish also know a thing or two about tunneling through hard rock)

Surely it doesn't scale like that right? I would think the cost to contract out design work, move all the supplies in, etc. makes even small-scale projects rather expensive, as some of those things might not scale directly with length of tunnel. With the idea that a longer tunnel is more "efficient" in terms of bang for your buck.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, Reverie39 said:

Surely it doesn't scale like that right? I would think the cost to contract out design work, move all the supplies in, etc. makes even small-scale projects rather expensive, as some of those things might not scale directly with length of tunnel. With the idea that a longer tunnel is more "efficient" in terms of bang for your buck.

You are exactly right, I am sure the cost of the tunnel boring machine as well as design is disproportionate to total project costs.

That doesn't change the fact that if we got the Norwegian contractors here to dig a tunnel beneath Trade street (and we gave them half a billion dollars for their efforts) it would still be about $100 million cheaper than building the weird 11th street detour route with a crappy Blue Line connection and lousy employment access (IIRC CATS said that route will add about $610 million to Silver Line costs over the Gold Line shared ROW)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, Reverie39 said:

Good for them. Baltimore is basically identical to Charlotte in metro area population, but will have three rapid transit lines once this is complete. I know it's more dense, but it's a sign of what should be possible and striven for in Charlotte.

Development follows transportation.   Waiting for more density isn't the answer, you have to have the transportation mode that creates the catalyst for density.  Density is fiscally conservative -- you maximize the use of existing infrastructure.  Density doesn't have to be a bad thing -- frankly, Charlotte (and NC's big cities in general) are doing a good job (Charlotte's doing a great job, IMHO) making density at a more European scale.  Now, hurry up and get a rail transit line to CLT!

Why does it cost so much to build things in America?

https://www.vox.com/22534714/rail-roads-infrastructure-costs-america

Edited by Phillydog
  • Thanks 4

Does anyone seriously think Charlotte will invest in an expensive 100 year plan? I love the idea ( although times do change so there is obviously risk involved). 

I just don't see visionaries at the local level and even if I did I'm pretty sure the gop legislature would figure out a way to make it extremely painful if not impossible for them to succeed. 

I personally would push (vote) for the best long term plan but expect the value engineered one to win. Whatever that looks like these days? 

Hate to be so negative but haven't seen anything to dissuade that point of view. Show me the positive! 

Edited by elrodvt

There are some positives, though maybe not Silver Line, but instead...

*renewed interest in equity with Council support for CTC above ground and prioritizing bus improvements

*local support for prioritizing bus, but covered largely with existing revenues

*Mecklenburg support for expanded transit, but with realistic expectations and timeline commitments for North Mecklenburg

*regional support for state-enabling tax levies, though mostly for roads, trails, and schools

*CATS becoming a regional authority, but only adding Gaston and Cabarrus

*rapid transit expansion, but more cost-effective solutions like northeast commuter rail on NCRR, north BRT on Express Lanes, and BLE2 with value capture at Carolina Place and in Ballantyne

The silver lining of Silver Line is that the LPA will now be seen as such low ridership return for high cost that so many other local bus and regional system transit needs at lower costs and higher needs can inevitably take over, though perhaps, not until after the dust settles on the LPA destined for the shelf.

• Like 3