CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Happened upon this posting with NRDC and I have to think that some active contributors to this thread could qualify:

Southeast Mobility Choices Advocate
https://careers-nrdc.icims.com/jobs/5087/southeast-mobility-choices-advocate/job?mobile=false&width=970&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, southslider said:

Blue Line frequency will soon come back, though initially just rush hours. The bigger concern this year is Speaker Moore and his enlarged majority. Just as this man has prevented Medicaid expansion year after year, he also has the power to prevent regional transit expansion.

If choice riders don’t permanently leave the blue line with 20 minute frequencies, I would be surprised. 

But you’re right. The biggest concern is state Republicans :(  If they retain power and Cooper is replaced with a Republican. It’s not going to be good for Meck Co. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

If choice riders don’t permanently leave the blue line with 20 minute frequencies, I would be surprised. 

But you’re right. The biggest concern is state Republicans :(  If they retain power and Cooper is replaced with a Republican. It’s not going to be good for Meck Co. 

I'm sorry, but I just have a vastly different take on things, from the bit of these matters I follow given I'm working 12 hours a day.

While I suspect I disagree with much of Moore's premises, I've become increasingly alarmed at the vitriol I read from Charlotte's transit/urbanist Twitterati.

If the twitterati insanity I read about is driving policy-making and  strategy in Charlotte and the County, then I'm profoundly worried.

There appears to be absolutely no space for debate within the Twitterati, and they'll even turn against each other if there's even a whiff of challenge to their orthodoxy.

Moore made artless comments about bike lanes, but the fact is that protected bike lanes are a relatively tiny part of the transit draft plan.  

Charlotte may very well fund a significant expansion of protected bike lanes out of its existing capital pools without getting approval to hike the sales tax 1 penny.

Also, this transit behemoth is a draft plan and not a plan because I don't know where the hell the thing even stands, and from what I'm reading, it's nowhere close to getting presented to Moore and the GA.

And the draft plan, which requires a massive capital commitment from the city, is largely staked on a light rail line.  It's a massive concentration of money & effort along a pretty tiny sliver of geography for city that's >300 square miles.  Not saying that's necessarily bad, but I welcome the doubters and the skeptics on something this big to make sure we've exhausted every competing alternative.  

So why are we planning council sit-ins and threatening to yell Moore down outside of his offices, because of his orientation toward cars and comments on something that hasn't yet been presented to him for his review?  This seems like emotional insanity.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

Keep in mind that Twitter is not a policy-making device. Its just a bunch of people running their mouths, and 75% of it is total BS. Its the fact that Moore might be taking it seriously is incredibly alarming to me. Once upon a time, policy and funding decisions (in North Carolina in particular) were made from evidence and informed research and partisanship and tribalism played much less of a role. There was also a sense that North Carolinians were interested in improving the quality of life for everyone in the state, not just the folks who looked/lived like them. 

This semse of community allowed NC to invest in and build one of the most respected public university systems in the country — it had wide benefits for every region of the state. NC also created Research Triangle Park in the late 1950s. While RTP was ostensibly an urban investment, politicians statewide understood it would benefit all North Carolinian’s (and it did, just take a look at how NC incomes increased relative to the nation from 1960-1997). Research and evidence motivated both of those investments,  just a research tells us that Charlotte and the Triangle (and the economy of the entire state) is going to increasingly struggle with auto dependence if we don’t invest in alternative forms of mobility soon.

The current NCGA is taking us back to the stone age, perhaps just because their feelings got hurt by some anonymous people online. And now people are wagging their finger saying that folks online should have been more considerate of Tim Moore’s feelings.  This is a ridiculous situation.

Is it the GA taking NC back to a proverbial Stone Age, or rather a vast state electorate. Is the transit plan and even the idea of light rail truly a shared vision?  Where are the mobility plan alternatives that can be voted on, or do we only get a “yes or no” on a single plan with a single cost?  

This is a type of cornering, a “take it or leave it” on so many matters of generational import that is being done quite often in politics these days is facing a backlash.  

The cornering might be the result of an assumption that the people are too dumb or distracted to be engaged as true stakeholders in community strategy.

Maybe the people are too distracted, but I’m sensing a growing populist resistance to these tactics and our area isn’t immune and Moore is a mere figurehead for a much deeper, brooding, populist rejection of big ideas devised in what more and more people feel are elite chambers of a professional, managerial class.

Even in communities of color in Charlotte, where transit has the potential to be much more a lifeblood of mobility than in other neighborhoods, light rail is a lightning rod for gentrification.

Edited by RANYC

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

In any event, It’s their world (Tim Moore and the Tea Party era GOP) and we just happen to live in it. To think they’d ever be good partners is to waste time. To think they’d ever allow $ go towards even just the silver line is misguided IMO.

Just need to be nicer on Twitter and I'm sure it will happen.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Just need to be nicer on Twitter and I'm sure it will happen.

Funny.

Putting twitter warfare aside, I do think Moore's comments may be representative of, dare I say it, the majority of residents in Charlotte.  Silver line boosters might be well served acknowledging the work that needs to be done shifting mental models of so many in this city.  Voting democratic in Charlotte definitely doesn't necessarily mean you want to shift away from car-orientation & dependency.  We have tons of auto-obsessed democratic voters here.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, RANYC said:

Maybe a Roads Focus has a Place in the Solutions Tool-Kit

In fact, someone told me retrofitting the road layout to include more connecting roads to get our overall layout to look a tad more like a grid would better distribute traffic we already have and bust up gridlock.  No, we will never be a perfect grid.  No one believes we have time to make Cotswold into Savannah, but again, achieving with many more connector roads what a grid ultimately attempts to achieve, may be a credible objective of new funding.  Also, accelerating “complete streets” to cover far more ground would make it safer for families across the city’s 300 square miles to take their kids or elderly parents on walks or to take strolls to local diners or shops or to schools and parks & rec centers.  I sense there'd be broad consensus on complete streets across much of the city's 300 square miles, versus the relatively narrow spatial footprint of the silver line.

I like what you are saying about complete streets (although Tim Moore aint buying it). But I do need to ask, what does Charlotte gain from spending millions/billions on "reducing" auto congestion? Any changes to the road network are, at best, temporary relief for drivers, the efforts exacerbate auto dependence, auto dependence prevents density and limits land available for more housing in town, and it takes money away from transit/bike/ped improvements. Finally, its just more asphalt we must pay to maintain.  Increasing road capacity is just a treadmill of futility. I'll concede that it will make some constituents feel better about voting for the associated taxes but it just digs our hole deeper. I could argue that that spending zero on roads and transit might lead to better urban outcomes than a road focused transit plan.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Funny.

Putting twitter warfare aside, I do think Moore's comments may be representative of, dare I say it, the majority of residents in Charlotte.  Silver line boosters might be well served acknowledging the work that needs to be done shifting mental models of so many in this city.  Voting democratic in Charlotte definitely doesn't necessarily mean you want to shift away from car-orientation & dependency.  We have tons of auto-obsessed democratic voters here.  

I think it’s multidimensional with Charlotte voters with perhaps you being right that most Charlotteans would overall oppose including low income folks not caring for it.

Charlotte has giant, giant city limits. So its urban population is heavily diluted. There’s literally giants swaths of farmland, exurban feeling areas, rural and the wealthy suburbs (Ballantyne area which tried to break away before and be named “the Town of Providence” or something.  

Those folks will likely always be opposed and I don’t blame them, tbh. A billion dollar for a light rail line that has very few destinations (the blue line actually does ok with SouthEnd through NoDa. A lot of systems in the US, there’s only like a couple downtown destinations you can get to and that’s it.) I don’t blame those people for viewing highway expansion money much better spent and viewing the light rail as a toy to either work uptown or go to a sporting or special event uptown. An extra lane seems like a better deal so you can get to SouthPark Mall, you can get to Freedom Park, you can get to places you need to go regularly. On top of they see these cramped, honestly a little slow light rail trains with 20 minute frequencies. A lane expansion can make it faster to get to many destinations in Charlotte. A few lines, mostly underground in the center city & SouthPark areas and running down 77 further out at 60+ MPH would be useful for them. 

For low income folks, I also wouldn't blame them for not caring. The light rail strategy is mostly used as a development tool for riders of a narrow demographic that have vehicles but want to use light rail for fun and perhaps commuting uptown. When it takes 90 minutes one way for lower or the bottom half of middle income to use transit where they need to get. It again is just useless and a vehicle becomes needed. The silver line wouldn’t change that. At all. None of the plans would. It’s slow, cost cutting measures that want to cater to like. 6,000 commuters and a couple thousand regular users and some special event folks and almost all centered around going uptown. We need underground rail in neighborhoods a lot of people don’t even know the name to, support new dense development with low income and affordable housing minimums and dramatically increase the density of these inner-city neighborhoods while trying to ensure affordable & low income housing keeps up. 

For example an underground station here where the red dot is. 

AF0A5382-BF9E-448B-BE35-A6BE965E32F7.thumb.jpeg.59e68076b0eff5049535f5c8dd4b00f8.jpeg

The problem with that is, that’s just not possible & by choice. Yes, there’s lots of property owners but look at cities all across America that literally bulldozed giant portions of neighborhoods. Gone forever by “urban renewal”. Before & After pics of when highways were built. So it’s not like such a concept could never be done. We’ve done it once already with highways… (obviously there was some nefarious shenanigans then so it’s not apples to apples but in the sense we could do large scale projects involving complicated land ownership issues. We could have underground rail in these neighborhoods. Politically, it won’t fly). I personally think the densification and less car dependency even if for only like 200,000 residents would be worth the cost. And the density would generate more revenue, etc but that’s debatable. 

That’s all to say. I agree with you that whether even Charlotteans would vote for a large scale transit plan anyway outside a specific narrow demographic. Low income & working class voters, voters of color, wealthier suburbanites. The transit has to work for them too. And the cheap, low cost transit just won’t work for most people. 

Government has to support a large scale, expensive, partial full build system. Underground when needed, fast, etc. Just like we do with highways that are just as expensive, that some intersections are breathtaking in cost for highways expansions just as some mass transit stations can be. We build infrastructure all the time. 

This is SC but an interchange for the Panthers HQ was expected to cost no more (lol) than $82 Million dollars… imagine the cost of 77 intersection rebuilds in Charlotte. Yikes! And would those new intersections even lead to much meaningful development along 77 relative to the cost of reconfiguring every intersection for a 77 widening? 

ECC8AC56-C338-4AF3-8FB9-920D9AA8F62E.thumb.jpeg.43d69708ba6c62a7fc804694bfcc0fc8.jpeg

The expansion of I-77 from uptown to the state line (which will be a toll) os expected to cost at least $2.1 Billion. Isn’t that like. 10 miles? Honestly, a heavy rail line would probably cost that much and I honestly think that would take a lot of people off 77…  (ignoring the blue line)

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/transportation-planning-group-gets-cost-estimate-expanding-i-77/QEIIPZGNUBCXTOFSVEILOQN5VQ/?outputType=amp

That $2.1B isn’t even considering other expansions in the Charlotte area. 

If we spent anywhere near that money on mass transit. I think *literally* hundreds of thousands would ride daily and that’s a lot of cars off the road and it would promote density around stations (tax revenue) vs. highways which there’s only so much density you can add even with more highway lanes as the side roads can’t handle increased freeway capacity (aka more hidden cost of highways expansions.) 

We could do expansions right. The powers at be don’t want it. Too many powerful people profit off of highways. Urban areas are political boogeyman (it’s the new red scare.) and without that support, we can’t build things people will view as useful 😕 im not naive to know the politics of that is a non-starter & I also believe it has to work for the region and not just a niche part of the metropolitan area. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:34 PM, RANYC said:

Money toward Sidewalk, but is it enough relative to the Need

I saw a quote that the city has > $1 billion in sidewalk needs currently.  Someone mentioned that we should take all the outstanding sidewalk needs, and layer in a requirement that all sidewalks be made into multi-use paths where at all possible, and to get cyclists off the road completely and at different grade so they’re protected.  That would likely be a couple billion, but there’s a transit expenditure that gets spread over all the city versus just alone the silver line’s geography. 

How many miles of sidewalks even is that?  I mean I realize there's a lot of labor and planning and materials costs, but over a billion dollars worth..?  Jesus.

I feel like I used to see a decent amount of infrastructure work around the city but there's like...none of that right now (other than some underground utilities projects which are taking forever).  Obviously Covid impacted a lot of things but man, feels like everywhere I go the roads are deteriorating, sidewalks are squeezed in right next to the road (or don't exist), trash in the bike lanes (if they exist), etc.  Graham St in particular is getting really bad between 85 and Uptown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

How many miles of sidewalks even is that?  I mean I realize there's a lot of labor and planning and materials costs, but over a billion dollars worth..?  Jesus.

I feel like I used to see a decent amount of infrastructure work around the city but there's like...none of that right now (other than some underground utilities projects which are taking forever).  Obviously Covid impacted a lot of things but man, feels like everywhere I go the roads are deteriorating, sidewalks are squeezed in right next to the road (or don't exist), trash in the bike lanes (if they exist), etc.  Graham St in particular is getting really bad between 85 and Uptown.

Was in a Charlotte Ledger article from September of last year.  There are apparently 250 miles of identified sidewalk gaps, and at $4 million to $8 million per mile, that's $1 billion to $2 billion in total costs.  Don't ask me why the range is so massive.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, nicholas said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest costs on most streets is real estate/right-of-way acquisition. You're basically lopping off the front 7'-10' off a property that the property owner will permanently lose use of, so there typically has to be just compensation for that real estate. 

• Like 3

Honestly the transit plan just doesn't go far enough to make Charlotte NOT a car dependent metro area. We'll see some trips (like getting to work or the airport for some people) shift to the Silver Line, but it will not reduce congestion or make us a metro area where you can enjoy all we have to offer without an automobile. We'll see some improved pockets of density, but they'll still end up coming with parking garages or residents who own cars. 

Even the peer metro areas that have larger or more successful transit systems than us, they've made a small dent in Commuting to Work alone. Denver, Portland, San Diego, Minneapolis, et... are still 70%+ drive alone to work for those that commute per CityLab in 2019 pre corona.

I'd be supportive of an even larger tax if it meant not needing to own a car too, but I don't see the vast majority of people being able to drop car ownership in Charlotte with just the Silver Line and some buses (which CATS is terrible at operating). We still need to do it... But also be realistic this metro still doesn't have a plan to not have people get in cars all the time. At best, we are aspiring to be an "options" metro where you still need a car, but "sometimes" you take the train instead when it happens to work for your trip. And often people are still picking the car as a better option sadly even in areas of Charlotte "well served by transit".... If you live at the Sunnyside Gold Line stop and are meeting a client for coffee this morning at Atherton Mill.... It is a 12 minute drive or 35 minutes on public transit... Only enthusiasts are going to more than double their journey for coffee and ditch the car for that trip.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4