CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

11 hours ago, kayman said:

The CATS Envision My Ride plan already adopted by MTC covers the BRT corridors in the city. 

Envision My Ride 

The issue is getting the funding in place to implement these needed improvements and BRT roll out. 

For Albemarle Road at least, there are future plans of widening the median from Central Ave to East WT Harris and widening the road to six lanes from East WT Harris to I-485. CATS should work with the NCDOT to preserve and design the median for future transit, like how the new US 74 bridge across the Catawba has space for the Silver Line. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, kayman said:

The CATS Envision My Ride plan already adopted by MTC covers the BRT corridors in the city. 

If you call signal priority, queue jumps, and enhanced stops "BRT," then sure.  As for seriously prioritizing bus, the very pilot listed for the CATS Envision My Ride plan was Central Ave, which Car-lot killed.  So unless CATS finds some easier wins soon, I truly worry their Envision My Ride plan may join Red Line on the shelf.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

Thanks for the insight (sounds like you are an insider).... It is helpful. And also alarming that our city government sounds like it is pretty dysfunctional right now.

I've been raising hell from the pragmatic citizen's perspective on things from urban design to transit since day one.  It's why I fight so hard for things that matters most to people who voice that on this board to change and become reality within the CoC municipal government, other regional boards, NCGA, & the SC General Assembly.  We deserve to have a true, bi-state,  regional transportation authority in Metro Charlotte in 2023.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayman said:

I've been raising hell from the pragmatic citizen's perspective on things from urban design to transit since day one.  It's why I fight so hard for things that matters most to people who voice that on this board to change and become reality within the CoC municipal government, other regional boards, NCGA, & the SC General Assembly.  We deserve to have a true, bi-state,  regional transportation authority in Metro Charlotte in 2023.

The only risk of a bi-state regional authority.... would adjacent counties want to participate if they didn't have a proportional share of board seats and receiving transit speding? The suburban counties of Gaston, York, Lancaster, Iredell, Cabarrus, and Union have roughly the same population as Mecklenburg and skew far more conservative / anti-tax. My fear is a regional transit authority made up of roughly 50% of suburban county districts would be more focused on addressing suburban commuting to protect the interests of their constituents and it could become political very fast on transit spending that is solely in Mecklenburg, where transit like light rail is most viable. I would guess projects like the Silver Line would fail a popular vote if Gaston, Cabarrus, Lancaster, York, et... were included (i.e. "what's in it for them to have a tax to fund light rail in Charlotte.")

The actual in-town areas that would benefit most from public transit would end up getting shelved to "spread the love" for a light rail line from Rock Hill to Fort Mill. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 4

If they really want it elevated and not though the heart of uptown why not do something similar to this on 9th St. to 10 St. after N. Tryon St with the transition likely before Tryon on Mecklenburg owned land.. Keeping the street but having the elevated portion above. I say these sections because they have existing medians that could more easily accommodate the elevated portions of the track. This way is more centered over the area they mention they want to be stimulated while also being decent transit because it’s closer to where people ARE. last time I checked people are living on 277 (maybe under it but that’s another issue…). Current location is so abandoned and I fail to understand how this was the best they could come up with. On the little scraps of land NCDOT owns from the monstrous and ill-conceived 277 exits. It’s better in every way so I am (with some cons because any option has downsides no matter what option). This is very similar to Tyvola Station but on a street median. Honestly don’t know how shoving it in that corner helps anyone. Development wise? I for sure know they aren’t demolishing 277 so development would be on the other side of it anyways? 277 isn’t very nice to cross under and the other side is mostly a rail yard. Walkability would need to improve greatly. Much investment in pedestrian infrastructure.

One issue I see could be an interesting problem to solve would be the connection they wan between the blue line and the silver so that they can move cars between them. Likely taking some land for development away…but that’s why engineers exist and I’m sure there’s a solution to that.

This is Great Mall Pkwy in Milpitas, CA just outside San Jose in the Bay Area.

f029b9d94ab5c064e6ceca84a43534ae.png

8f05a53aac3c50b4ffa59c6ead9c2cd8.png

68694edee0a1f7a226bfd75e92e7692d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I did a “0.o” reaction emoji to your post, not because of what you said, but I’m surprised by the article and the data in it. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’m surprised. I guess we’ll see what Cagle comes back with and I’m interested in @kayman’s thoughts.

I'm OOTL - will the Silver Line have 2-car trains or 3-car trains at the moment? I really hope the answer is to at least build all the stations for 3-car capacity. Plan for the future. Charlotte is becoming dense and highly populated, it will need more than just 2 cars per train soon. The Blue Line already needs more considering the low frequencies.

• Like 4

I'm probably in  minority but I like the way they have the silver line routed going around uptown.  The best mass transit systems have circulators and connectivity. This option provides half of a circulator and connectivity to the gold, blue, and gateway station. This route seems to be the best future option beyond drilling under the city which we all know they can't afford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, KJHburg said:

I'm not sure I understand the concern with the change in ridership projections. Is it crazy to think that modeling with new assumptions about remote and hybrid work would lower ridership on the alternative proposals? But let's assume CATS is being disingenuous and fabricated the new numbers. So what? The previous projection showed the alternatives with somewhere around 6000 daily riders more than the LPA (~35000 vs ~29000). The new projection is a change of a few thousand riders. And that is 30 years from now. 6000 +/- a few thousand daily riders is insignificant imo. That's less than the daily traffic on College Street and most of the other uptown streets. Independence Blvd carries over 100,000 cars per day. Brookshire and Belk are similar. There's no reason to pass up the development opportunity, break continuity with the western portion and connectivity to the airport, and waste the existing investment in the Gold Line to maybe get an extra 6000 riders. Until the city and suburbs densify significantly and a more robust transit network is built out, I don't see how ridership should or can be a primary consideration when making transit investments. Development and density along and around the lines seems to be more useful for the city's tax base, sustainability, and future viability of a transit system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I did a “0.o” reaction emoji to your post, not because of what you said, but I’m surprised by the article and the data in it. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’m surprised. I guess we’ll see what Cagle comes back with and I’m interested in @kayman’s thoughts.

My only take is this was expected. I like the ULI in most circumstances but they gotten on the wrong side of this issue last summer.

I was in the 4th Ward today. It's a prime area for more non-automative/transit connections & high density, urban infill development to the rest of the region. The 4th Ward is inaccessible except by an automobile, and there should be more ways for those residents along others to access and further enhance density in the lower density non-resident parcels in that area.  The level of walkability in that area can be only rivaled by most other major cities across the South except New Orleans and Washington.  

20 minutes ago, kayman said:

My only take is this was expected. I like the ULI in most circumstances but they gotten on the wrong side of this issue last summer.

I was in the 4th Ward today. It's a prime area for more non-automative/transit connections & high density, urban infill development to the rest of the region. The 4th Ward is inaccessible except by an automobile, and there should be more ways for those residents along others to access and further enhance density in the lower density non-resident parcels in that area.  The level of walkability in that area can be only rivaled by most other major cities across the South except New Orleans and Washington.  

I'm not positive what your last sentence means. Assuming your saying only DC and NO rival clt 4th that sounds right to me. I always forget about NO. Being in LA is such a negative it's easy to discount. I haven't been there in forever but thought ybor in Tampa had potential. Is that dead now?

23 hours ago, MarcoPolo said:

KJHBurg, I hope your use of the word "interesting" is intended  as an expression of doubt as to the legitimacy of the ridership numbers now being circulated and the competence of the selected proposal?

Yes it seems different numbers can be come up with to prove almost any point.  when I say interesting like that I am saying I don't what to believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not positive what your last sentence means. Assuming your saying only DC and NO rival clt 4th that sounds right to me. I always forget about NO. Being in LA is such a negative it's easy to discount. I haven't been there in forever but thought ybor in Tampa had potential. Is that dead now?

Yeah, I'm saying 4th Ward has that type of potential. Ybor City also does have potential in Tampa.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1