CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Hi Kermit, thanks for the thoughtful response.   You made me go back on my word to move on, lol!  We agree on the fundamentals, but your position conflates several observations that detract from  your otherwise sound understanding of transit, and arms opponents of transit with reasons (incorrect as they are) to fight against it.  I'll be brief.   And of course, pragmatism should never be considered a burden :)   Aiming for long term successes while navigating the intricacies of short and mid term needs are never mutual exclusive endeavors if conceived mindfully and with deliberation, (actions obviously absent within CATS and Council).   Theory is powerfully pragmatic :) 

Firstly, the city comparison explanation was not made from the perspective of an apologist defending America's avoidance of transit because of how we are.   American's are just as eager and capable of wanting, using, and supporting transit usage and expenditure as are Europeans, Asians, etc., and Charlotte has a few good opportunities to leverage existing fabric to build a strong transit base on which a multi-generational system can grow.   The reason for the comparison was to interject "order" into how successful transit must unfold, (more on that with the third point).   Order is important because unlike other parts of the world we do have to defend and advocate for the obvious benefits of transit in the face of a unique set of ideological  naysayers that view transit as an affront to their "freedom" to be enslaved by the car.   The benefits quickly become obscured by their misinformation when transit discussions are handled or understood at an elementary level, such as has been the case in Charlotte since the Blue Line was built.   Every misstep arms these opponents with the ammunition needed to fight against all progress.   So, it is very much the case that the timing of transit investment and the sound practicality of its intent are paramount!   Secondly, the "freedom shed" includes jobs.  Jobs are elemental to one's ability to be free.   I would encourage you to read some of Jarrett's literature for a fuller understanding of what this term implies.   He is also a theorist such as yourself, and I feel you will appreciate how he folds thought into practice.  

And it is here where it is important to not become distracted by what transit is suppose to do, as opposed to what it is perceived to influence.   Your explanation of density and development is the Achilles Heel in your otherwise strong grasp of transit theory and brings me to the third point.   Density is not dependent on transit and transit should not be a proxy for development.  It can be argued that Hyper-density is enabled by transit, but high density itself is not.  There are many parts of Charlotte undergoing similar "densification" that have no access to transit.  They will continue to fill in denser and with growing tax bases without transit.   I named several of these in a post a few weeks back.   Specific to Southend and Northend, had the blue line never come to pass, redevelopment would have still occurred for a myriad of reasons, many due to the relative ease of rezoning and the presence of existing sympathetic zoning in these areas.   It is not a coincidence that most of the multi family built in Charlotte occurs adjacent to, or in parts of the City along wedges of rail and/or commercial thoroughfares historically zoned non-residential and non-single family.   These also happen to be the location of the City's minority populations.   Would growth have occurred in Southend as strongly as it has since the inauguration of the blue line?  No.   But that is not the point.  The Blue Line's success is not that it kickstarted development.   Development had already begun and would have continued in Southend without it.   The success of the Blue Line is that it directly accessed the core of the City with an alternative means of mobility.  This direct connection is what will enable all the "crooked teeth" suburban areas beyond Southend and Northend to straighten out into bright, toothy smiles in the decades to come.   As an aside, Los Angeles is the densest US city across the entirety of its built up area.  From its desert edge, to downtown, to its various beachfront communities, its per square mile population on average, is far greater than metropolitan NYC's, and has been so since the early 1980's, well before their metro system.   Most of LA remains a transit desert, yet there are vast areas of high density, connected street networks and even walkable urban fabric.   Yes, NYC has a spike of hyper dense core in and around its center enabled by a robust transit system, but beyond it the density drops off dramatically into Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey.  

The danger of your argument is that by calling attention to a byproduct of Transit, (ie: density), which is an  incorrect correlation, you arm opponents with straw man reasons to fight against transit.   Let me know the last time someone felt good about subsidizing developers with billions of dollars in tax payer infrastructure to build even less affordable housing, often in once minority neighborhoods, in a City chronically short of broad spectrum housing price points.  Routing the Silver Line along underutilized properties (underutilized at the moment due to their adjacency to a freeway) because building it through downtown is "hard", and then pitching the outcome as some how justifiable because it will jump start "development" is a cascade of failure.   This is not putting one's best transit foot forward.   

Happy to get into detail more about LRT/RRT and Charlotte's interesting hybrid situation over that beer at the next UP meet, or when I'm next in town.   Or email me here.   No need to bore everyone.    I believe that KJHburg and CLT Development are too busy these days to organize meets more regularly.  But I do get into town every couple of weeks or so and CLT and I do grab a beer on such occasions.   Btw, you are spot on about transit along the Monroe Rd/CSX Rail corridor.  The benefits to Matthews alone would be as transformational as Southend's, never mind the stretch from Coliseum Dr to Wendover Rd.   Off the hook!   I wrote about that last year on this thread too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MarcoPolo said:

As an aside, Los Angeles is the densest US city across the entirety of its built up area.  From its desert edge, to downtown, to its various beachfront communities, its per square mile population on average, is far greater than metropolitan NYC's, and has been so since the early 1980's, well before their metro system.   Most of LA remains a transit desert, yet there are vast areas of high density, connected street networks and even walkable urban fabric.   Yes, NYC has a spike of hyper dense core in and around its center enabled by a robust transit system, but beyond it the density drops off dramatically into Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey. 

I mean, that's not even remotely close to true.. I'm not sure how you could possibly think this? New York is easily the most dense US city by far, almost 4X LA. NY metro CSA is 10X greater LA. 

The density definitely drops off outside of Manhattan, but LA is still about as dense as Staten Island is..

• Like 4

Wait, so if they build the Independence/Matthews side of the Silver Line first and then build the Wilkinson/Airport side but it remains segmented at the Gateway Station (meaning you have to transfer from one to the other) then would the Airport/Wilkinson side still be the Silver Line or are we going to give it its own color?

Morning JHart and Happy New Year!  Apologies if my statement has unnecessarily caused confusion!  I did not bother to clearly distinguish between "built up area" and metro area, or for that matter City limits!  I also failed to introduce and define measures for average and weighted densities.  Pretty slack on my part :)

It is true that within each City's municipal boundary NYC is far and away the denser than LA's.   Interestingly, it is also true that the densest communities within metro NY are actually along the Hudson River in New Jersey where average pop densities in places like Union City and West NY are nearly twice as dense as NYC's average.  

But, what I stated is true.   LA Metro's average density across the entirety of its built up area (*2,926 people per sq mi) is greater than that of NY's built up metro (*2,744 people per sq mi), (*2020 figures......the counts vary depending on source, but they consistently show LA with a similar or slightly higher average density......and over time show its density increasing whereas NY's has stayed fairly constant...the method used teases out data by focusing on census tracts and adjusts for the significant size discrepancies between Counties and Census tracts in Metro LA vs NY, and the sharp divide between urbanized and non-urbanized lands in metro LA, versus the more blurred boundary in metro NY).  LA's density spreads across land like a thick shag carpet with a clear edge boundary....staying fairly consistent across its coverage, with a few lumpy protrusions here and there.  Beyond NY's ceiling busting core its average density sprawls across the land like a Persian rug with patches of shag carpet thrown on top here and there, unraveling along its fringes into loose threads. 

Using weighted population density measures NYC's built up area comes out on top due to its hyper dense core.  By this measure it is twice as dense as LA's built up area.   And here we have a very surprising and not so well known fact.  Guess which metro area is number 4 on the weighted population density measure?  Metro Honolulu   Crazy to think, right?   Its average and weighted densities exceed those of Chicago!  Honolulu brings me back to the reason for using LA in my discussion with Kermit.

I brought up LA’s average density in my reply to emphasize that significant density is achieved and sustained in the absence of transit, and in and of itself transit is not a precursor to densification and real estate development.  The areas around the Brookshire Frwy viewed as "needing-a-hand-by-the-Silver Line", do not actually need its hand.  They can develop without the Line just by deploying better planning and design and some inexpensive pp-partnership strategies.  Density exists in the absence of Transit, and therefore its provision should not justified as a means to generate development.  It is a bi-product.  Transit should first and foremost be a tool for population mobility and access to choice (freedom).   And it is precisely this need which is not served by the Silver Line's selected routing.  

• Like 3

Happy to see polite debate on this thread after what was happening before lol. 

15 hours ago, JHart said:

I mean, that's not even remotely close to true.. I'm not sure how you could possibly think this? New York is easily the most dense US city by far, almost 4X LA. NY metro CSA is 10X greater LA. 

The density definitely drops off outside of Manhattan, but LA is still about as dense as Staten Island is..

I actually wonder how much the CSA definitions are playing into this. The borders of a CSA (and MSA) are limited to aligning with counties I think, and counties out in California are weird. For example San Bernardino County is part of the LA CSA and is the largest county by land area in the US - nearly the size of West Virginia. Most of it is just empty desert, but the entire thing is considered LA's CSA which presumably causes the CSA density to absolutely nosedive. Our eastern counties such as those around New York are nothing like that.

@MarcoPolo said "built-up area" and tbh I do believe that LA's built-up area could be denser than NYC's. Once you leave the city itself as well as the northeastern fringe of New Jersey and the western fringe of Long Island, the density drops drastically. There are a lot of people, but like any east coast region there is a lot of space between houses, tons of woodland, etc. Meanwhile go look at LA on Google Earth. It is just house after house after house after house for miles and miles and miles with no gaps in between. 

Edit: posted this before seeing MarcoPolo's response, he explains basically the same thing

Edited by Reverie39
  • Like 1

Happy to explain further JHart :)    Built-up area is defined as a contiguous "developed" area of human settlement.  All human habitation in the form of buildings and infrastructure not separated from the same by intervening agriculture lands, grazing lands, woodlands, wetlands, habitat preserves, and water bodies.   Improved lands used for open space/ recreation are included in the built-up area unless these exceed a certain acreage, typically no larger than 1,000 acres.  The United Nations and US Geological Survey use satellite imagery (night and day photos) to calculate built-up areas for purposes of energy use, GDP analysis, poverty rates, environmental assessments, and societal health tallies (density being a key ingredient for these).   It is an important measure and a well known "term of art" in the planning profession.   All the points you raise about boundaries and how they can be manipulated are the reason "built-up area" is used when precision is required to establish apples-to-apples base data for city to city comparison purposes.   

Two other well defined terms in the profession are density and sprawl.  You incorrectly use both in your post.   High density can sprawl over land with the same vigor as low density (the shag carpet vs the frayed Persian rug analogy I used).  In planning, sprawl is used to describe land area covered by human settlement (built-up land) and does not carry a density connotation.  The habitation can take the form of endless blocks of multi-story apartments (Shanghai), or endless cul-de-sacs of single-family homes (Atlanta).   The New York built up area is the largest in the US both in population and sprawl.   LA is second in population, but has recently begun to loose grip on its #2 sprawl ranking.   Guess which cities compete with LA for built up area......Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, and DC/Baltimore.  In fact, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas, with substantially less populations, are the fastest growing sprawlers.  Houston wins first place in the amount of new sprawl, adding over 200 square miles since 2001 if I remember correctly.   At current rates, within 15 years, all three of these cities will be as large, or larger in area than LA.  (There was a great article in the Washington Post a year or so ago that colleagues of mine at MIT put together that discussed sprawl across US cities….can’t put my finger on it now.  Google it.  It is great work!)

To recap, my use of built-up area is purposefully so as to not fall into the rabbit hole of “stretching boundaries” as you state.  All boundaries have meaningful data to assess against, but in the discussion we are having they are an incorrect method from which to draw comparisons about built up areas and densities.  Also, the statement “density is already an average” does not mean anything.  It is not factually true.  Density can be a mean, a mode, and average, a weighted average, a precise tally…...  I used weighted average to show that by one measure you were correct in your statement that NY’s built-up area is the “densest” in the US.  Lastly, your counter point about density and transit does not address the conversation we are having, nor the factual measures stated above.  True, central LA will never become a Manhattan without a robust transit system.  Hyper-density, which I discussed in the last post is dependent on transit.  But, hyper-density is not the norm, and is not necessarily a model of growth to be emulated everywhere.  Since it is true that most of LA’s built up area is denser than most of NY’s, and most of LA’s built up area has no access to light rail and heavy rail transit, the point about transit not being a precursor for density stands.  We were never discussing the merits of downtown LA becoming as dense as Manhattan.  Happy to do so if anyone cares? :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kermit said:

I think it is more accurate in this case  to say Gerrymandering has consiquences. Had NCGA districts been drawn to be competitive we would not have an anti-urban legislature.

Ironically, our political neighbors to the north (Virginia) are working itself out of gerrymandering by people voting in the right people.  I'm certain there's something to be said and learned from our neighbors with urban agenda advancements. 

• Like 1

different subject...

So CATS reduced Blue Line frequency in August from 4 to 3 TPH. They blamed staffing difficulties. Its been four months, and the labor market has softened, and it definitely does not take 4 months to train new operators, whats up CATS?

• Like 3