Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany has announced his retirement.

One of the old bulls of college football and an architect of the 4-team CFP, he has been reticent to take on the hard slog of taking the next step toward an 8-team playoff.

His retirement may open that door a little wider.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3055036002

From USA Today 

• Like 1

Another good Tacko article

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tacko-fall-is-7-foot-6-and-hes-breaking-basketball/

"... Fall has arguably led the Knights to three of the five best seasons in the program’s history.1 This year will likely culminate in the program’s first NCAA tournament appearance in 14 years. “I think he wanted to come here and leave this legacy,” Dawkins said. “He chose a place where he could really impact what was going on. He made that commitment. And look where he’s taken the program.”

• Like 1

The AAC is finally slowing down the coaching carrousel:

https://therunnersports.com/top-aac-teams-could-change-the-conferences-culture-of-losing-coaches/

From The Runner Sports

Coach Frosty may be the last UCF coach to breeze through town in a couple of years for quite a while.

The downside, of course, is that it could get very expensive to ditch a dud. Let’s hope AD Danny White’s gonna be around a long time and keeps making great choices.

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

SBNation leaks what the next AAC contract may look like:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/3/19/18273232/aac-television-deal-espn-conference-realignment

Each American school gets about $5mil more/year. There’s no GOR to preclude jumping to another conference.

It will likely make AAC football the flagship of ESPN+, which weakens the American’s Power 6 argument, since it puts us at the “little kids’ table” instead of with the Power 5.

It does offer some stability all but a couple of top AAC schools really need along with a healthy paycheck.

Stay tuned.

23 minutes ago, Dale said:

For 39:52 UCF played like they didn’t care who they were playing. 

The last 8 seconds they played like they remembered they were playing Duke.

Could say the same thing about the refs.

Good game.  UCF should he in the ACC

I was really impressed.  Great showing by UCF. 

It all really came down to that missed dunk didn't it?  They still should have made that tip in with 1.5 seconds left, but that steal to a fast break to a missed dunk pretty much sealed the deal that the miracle belonged to Duke.

I hate Duke.

36 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

You'd have to think UCF is a better job than Vande.

I can’t dis the ‘Dores. I took some classes there when I lived in Nashville. Great school, great city. 

Vandy’s interesting because there’s still a little truth to the notion of “scholar-athlete”. Admittedly, they had to merge with the Peabody teachers’ school to dumb down the curriculum for some of the jocks, but it’s still better than most.

OTOH, UCF is doing a good job for a large state school of making sure our guys (and gals) in athletics actually graduate.

Danny White seems to be building a program that wins and also is supportive of coaches and players so it looks like we may avoid revolving door syndrome. It looks like Coach D may stay put until Coach K retires.

The other fascinating thing is that Belmont (the Sort-of-Baptist school around the corner from Vandy,) is coming into its own as a small school hoops power. Even Lipscomb has had a good year.

It looks like Nashville is getting serious about hoops (makes sense since they don’t have an NBA team - I’d gladly send them ours as long as the DeVos’ own it). 

Edited by spenser1058