Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

After last night’s game, the Washington Post thinks the winner in Florida is... UCF?

Are they afraid of us? The Post thinks so. My, how the zeitgeist is changing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-vs-miami-showed-its-already-time-to-stop-thinking-about-the-state-of-florida/2019/08/25/faaf847e-c745-11e9-be05-f76ac4ec618c_story.html

Charge On!

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After last night’s game, the Washington Post thinks the winner in Florida is... UCF?

Are they afraid of us? The Post thinks so. My, how the zeitgeist is changing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-vs-miami-showed-its-already-time-to-stop-thinking-about-the-state-of-florida/2019/08/25/faaf847e-c745-11e9-be05-f76ac4ec618c_story.html

Charge On!

Florida beat a bummed-out Michigan team...UCF ransacked Auburn.  This author must be a UCF'er b/c they same elements were present for both Auburn and Michigan.  He is right about the LSU game, though, but LSU was bummed-out too, so, it's all relative.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The St. Pete Times thinks South Florida will have a more difficult time getting past UCF than P5 schools Georgia Tech (ACC) and Wisconsin (Big 10). 

Fascinating:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/08/24/ranking-usfs-2019-football-foes/#talk-wrapper

saw that...

Interesting thing about Cincinnati...I was watching the Youngstown State vs Samford game befor UF vs UM.  Y-town's players looked like monsters they were so big...good God.  and they were talking about all the NFL talent on that roster.  I think Bo Pellini is their coach.  That is a tough team; tough OL and DL.

I should've said interesting thing about Ohio teams...

USF has got a ways to go.  UCF is in such a better position right now with the traction they've made. 

Still, I like USF's chromatized gold helmets. 

UCF has cool gunmetal helmets (promo game helmets).

UF's helmet just turns into suck when they promo it; the only good variation has been the 1966 Spurrier helmet- white Miami-ish with blue "F" in plain script.

UCF needs to push the gunmetal helmet; it's tough looking.

• Like 1

“They’re arguably the best team in the state,” FAMU Head Coach Willie Simmons.

Our Knights open with a 62-0 win over the Rattlers. One thing we can say about FAMU - they’re not afraid to play us like the other two north Florida teams.

A very sad note: DB Brandon Moore was injured in the third quarter and had to be taken to the hospital. Hopefully, everything will go well for Bam, one of the D’s great players.

https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/2135668001

From the Tallahassee Democrat 

Would someone please just sell Da Bulls for hamburger? That was flat out embarrassing - South Florida 0 Wisconsin 49.

Even worse, there seem to have been more Badger fans at RayJ than Bulls. 

Bless their hearts. I feel worst for Kerwin Bell - just what did he sign up for?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/08/31/no-19-wisconsin-embarrasses-usf-on-opening-night/

Mind you, Doak Campbell holds 79,500.

Now, Boise State may not be the biggest deal in the world but then neither is FAMU (Boise is an often-ranked FBS team while FAMU is FCS) and our Knights sold out our 44,000+ Bounce House (the student section was overflowing more than an hour before the game). How the mighty have fallen among Florida’s former Big 3 (speaking of which, check out Herbie’s comments about Feleipe on CGD today).

Charge On!

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Feleipe-Franks-Florida-Gators-football-Kirk-Herbstreit-College-Gameday-Dan-Mullen-maturity-134978207/Amp/

From 24/7 Sports 

UPDATE: The G5 Mountain West’s Boise State beat the ACC’s FSU 36-31 in Tallahassee. How can this be? Everyone knows the G5 can’t compete with the P5, right? I just don’t understand.

Edited by spenser1058

I need some help here. AAC team Memphis just defeated SEC team Ole Miss 15-10 (might I add the Knights’ win streak over Memphis is currently 13 games going back to 2005).

Supposedly, the SEC is so amazing that a poor little G5 grub worm like Memphis couldn’t possibly beat one of their teams.

Sort of like when we beat Auburn in the Fiesta Bowl. There were arguments then that AAC teams only do well because we don’t have the grueling slog of playing SEC teams week after week. Now, since this is the first week of the season, that would seem not to be the case.

And, of course, then there’s my favorite chestnut about SEC teams losing to their inferiors because they’re “just not motivated”.

Now, as a proud Southerner whose family has had roots in the red clay of Georgia and the sands of Florida and South Carolina since the 1780’s, I was always taught that, to a Southerner, honor comes before everything. “Not being motivated” doesn’t seem to be very honorable and, after all, doesn’t the SEC “just mean more”? Or, is that really just a bogus facade, sort of like those GOP Family Values we always hear about.

Let’s not forget that SEC media contracts provide their teams with several times the resources of what the AAC can command.

Maybe someone can share with me how just such a thing is possible?

Edited by spenser1058

Hank and Andy will be proud that THE Ohio State derailed the Lane Train 45-21 in the ‘Shoe, hopefully softening them up for Our Knights next week in Boca.

BTW, we really do need to talk about the notion of a school trying to trademark one of the most used words in the English language....

Edited by spenser1058

I liked the point made in this article about Memphis’ win in the Commercial Appeal. It notes that taking out an SEC opponent no longer feels like an upset because it really isn’t. Memphis, like many of the upper tier AAC schools, have been successfully building the brand.

It’s why CGD and other sports media have stopped being shocked and expect UCF to be in the rankings. They note a Big 12 coach  with a good record voluntarily resigned to go to a head coaching job at Houston. They even note that the Knights are arguably the best team in Florida and certainly have changed the state’s gridiron calculus to a Big 4 instead of 3.

Which brings us to Danny White’s long game. He notes we could defeat NFL teams regularly and the hidebound CFP cartel would still leave us out and keep rotating the national championship between ‘Bama and Clemson.

That’s not going to change until the media that actually controls the process says it should change. As we saw this week, several P5 teams whose conferences we’re supposed to beg us to take us in, really are full of fading programs that are going to fail to command the views that lead to power in the developing streaming era. (A team’s online following is going to eclipse a program’s TV market share in the OTT, post-cable era.

It’s also why once powerful programs are seeing attendance declines in their stadiums while programs like UCF and Houston keep adding fans.

So there’s no need to beg to be in a Big 12 conference that’s already falling apart. Time and the zeitgeist are already on our side.  Welcome to the New Paradigm! (thanks, Poppy Bush).

https://amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/2125461001

SBNation says that AAC teams need a game day atmosphere like... UCF!

While the Bounce House is filling up every week with students and fascinated recruits, Temple Terrace’s poor Cows this week had an empty upper bowl at RayJ and the lower bowl was filled mostly with... Badgers.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2019/9/1/20841143/the-aac-needs-better-gameday-atmospheres-american-athletic-conference-ucf-memphis-houston-temple-usf

Charge On!

The drumbeat gets louder (to the beat of “Zombie Nation”, no doubt) for Bounce House expansion but the priorities are very different today. It’s not just about adding thousands of general admission seats anymore:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-football-stadium-expansion-20190903-zeiv4d47ircdrkz7r4fzjepvyi-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058