Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

14 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

UF was vastly different than Nebraska. Nebraska worked because of a combination of good athletes and the spread/option offense and 4-3 defense. It came at a time when other old guard power conference schools were still playing big-boy football and run it down their throat strategies. UF game changer was a whole other strategy to combat both. Fun n' gun, that emphasized wide receivers and trying to outscore everybody. 

"If you want to be successful," Spurrier told S.L. Price of Sports Illustrated in 1995, "you have to do it the way everybody does it and do it a lot better -- or you have to do it differently. I can't outwork anybody and I can't coach the off-tackle play better than anybody else. So I figured I'd try to coach some different ball plays. . ." 

These two genius coaches in Tom Osborne and Steve Spurrier knew they probably couldn't beat the old guard at their own game, so they innovated in different ways to change the game. It worked. Problem is, it only works for so long, and then you have to innovate again or develop the staff and recruiting chops to become one of the perennial "haves" to keep it going. The game changes, and the competitive advantage usually is fleeting, when others start to pick up on it and the playing field levels again. When it happens, it is beautiful, though. 

14 hours ago, Dale said:

Gator fans used to howl when I said this, but Nebraska was a finesse team. Sure, their linemen would ‘put a hat on you’, but it wasn’t like they brutalized their foes. With their speed and misdirection, they’d run by you.

Back when Meyer won his first at UF, I spoke to Donnie Young and Wiley Ritch in Gainesville, and I was picking their brains about the ‘96 Gators and the ‘95 team.  Young was pretty frank about the ‘95 Nebraska game, in that, by halftime, they were telling Spurrier that they needed to keep a back in the backfield to block the extra pass rusher, but Spurrier wouldn’t listen; he wanted to beat them his way.  That’s when they broke the game wide open.  I remember that.  Spurrier did get that way sometimes.  His bullheadedness backfired in the ‘97 LSU game; he refused to keep rushing Taylor who was getting like 8-9yds a carry; he wanted to beat them passing.

SPURRIER:

Spurrier’s emphasis was this:  if you recall, in 1990, the motto on the football schedule was “First and goal” or “First and ten.”  Prior to that, the Gators would run Emmitt left and right and throw a crapty pass play in desperation.  Spurrier was about the forward pass beyond the first down marker.  Someone once said he threw bubble screens all the time- that’s BS.  Yes, he would throw a screen or two like everyone else, but he was about the forward pass; something Galen Hall was afraid to let Lex Smith do in ‘89 when Kyle Morris and Shane were suspended.  

It is all about misdirection, using your blocks, getting the angle on the defender (or ball carrier), and throwing to the open WR.  IMO, the best Spurrier offense was the ‘94 Gators when they ran the two-back pro style offense with Terry Dean & Wuerffel, with Taylor & Williams in the backfield; unstoppable (to a point) because of options on offense for the QB.

SEC SPEED & UCF:

Fast forward to today:  Yes, the SEC talent level has been jacked up with faster players, as we know.  Some believe that better talent counteracts poor coaching or poor scheme.  Sometimes it does.  But,  to be fair, just look at what UCF has done with Top 60 recruiting classes; they’ve maximized output with schemes and play calling etc, where they more or less have outlasted and dominated similar talent at other schools.  Similar to what UF did in 1990, in that, the talent was the same as the ‘89 team, but, a new scheme and attitude transformed a 7-5 unranked team to a 9-2 No.13 ranked team with a starting QB earning ALL-SEC honors and a receiving corps supplanting FSU’s ‘89 Fab Four with better stats.

UCF:

But again, all comparisons of historic similar team development aside, UCF obviously does have potential, but you would have to rewind to the ‘80’s era of the Independents, in re-classifying and retooling their schedule to play P5 schools like FSU did.  White demanding 1 for 1’s and saying no to UF’s 2 for 1 offer while USF says yes to UF, while Stanford agrees to a 1 for 1 with UCF is interesting.  You know, it’s funny.  Not a lot of people remember this, but even within the SEC, UF would strongarm smaller schools, namely, Miss St, in that they would pay them to come to Gainesville year in and year out in the ‘80’s until Jackie Sherrill came in and said no more.  Miss St beat UF in that infamous ‘92 home game in Starkville.  So, maybe White is on the right track.

UCF: OPTIONS AVALABLE:

The key is this:  does a major P5 school benefit from playing UCF?  Is there a benefit to beating them?  Is there a perceived respect for losing to them?  The answer to both questions is no.  The answer to both questions has to be yes, for teams to want to schedule UCF.  

Next option:  Big 12 expansion.  

Next option after that: AAC gets better.  That means Memphis plays UT and/or Vandy and beats them and wins their bowl game; that means Houston Cougars start playing like the Cougars of Andre Ware and David Klinger again.  That also means that USF starts getting good again as in the days of Jim Leavitt.  Cincinnati is good under Luke Fickle (11-2).  Temple looked like there were good this year- why are they playing ‘Nova twice in one year (city agreement)? They went 1 and 1 against ‘Nova; and they went 1-2 against the ACC.  SMU went 0-2 vs the P5 and lost to North Texas; no bowl.  So, the AAC does have promise.

Next option after that: AAC expands with good teams:  I said it before: snag a BYU if possible.

Next option after that: CFP expansion to 8 games: well, the commentators in the LSU game were all over this one in stating that UCF was definitely not ready for Playoff play.  I guarantee you that if the Playoff was 8 games this year, the 8 teams would have been the Top 4 plus UGA, TOSU, Michigan, and Washington.  They would not have disavowed the Pac12 champ for UCF.  And if UF was a little better this year (by not losing to UK or Mizzou), UF would’ve been in as well.  An 8 team Playoff I believe will never work out for UCF.

I think the UCF psyche was, hey, Florida is the best state for college football and we’re here.  I think that same psyche in 2017 and the start of 2018 was hey, that, plus, we’re the best team in the state and FSU, UF, and Miami are subpar, and this is a trend.  Turns out that FSU is in trouble; Miami might be; but UF isn’t.  Because UF is in a very good place again, that kills any argument for UCF.  The bowl games went against UCF (except for the Miami game).  The UF win against Michigan sent the message of, hey, P5, we’re back.  The UCF loss to LSU sent the message of, hey, P5, we can compete, but only to a point. 

The dagger upon UCF was Scott Frost leaving.  It set them back, and it sent a message...  Also,  had he stayed, he would’ve ran some different plays and Milton wouldn’t have gotten hurt.  Plus, the UCF program with Frost’s name would be synonymous in the NCAA, and that marketing would go a very long way.  Heupel needed to beat LSU to establish himself.  He has, to the G5 but not to the P5.  Instead of the marketing machine being Frost-Milton (Heisman candidate)-UCF, it’s now, simply, UCF.  How much weight does that carry in the NCAA world?  Not a whole lot.

But, enough of the negative.  The positive is that there are some great uniform combos UCF has to set them apart visually.  And, Milton is coming back in a year or so.  If Heupel can go 12-0 again as a prelude to Milton’s return, that will be something and they’ll still be a topic of discussion, which is what you want.  OU is good so Heupel won’t get hired away by them.  UCF needs to schedule Fresno St and/or BYU and/or Boise State, though, to be the best of the G5.  12-0 isn’t good enough if some of the 12 aren’t the best teams out there (of the bunch).

• Like 3

Very good post, JRS2!  That's kind of what my point was above. Great athletes are great, but the scheme matters! You can still be a very, very good team with a great scheme and a great coach, and can gain a slight edge over teams with better athletes if done right. UCF's greatest accomplishment was having a good DA in Danny White that is able to recognize talent and hire great coaches and people around them. If they can keep that going for a reasonable amount of time, they can turn the tables on recruiting and conference edges that the "big three" have, and maybe get picked up for a power conference. 

• Like 1

With the preface that I was at the Citrus Bowl and didn't watch the Fiesta (on that note, Florida Citrus Sports really dropped the ball not getting that negotiated in their contract.  We went from being tied as the most important non-BCS bowl to the 7th most important and now don't even have our timeslot to ourselves as the lead-in to the Rose?  That's... not great).

UCF was missing it's most important player and still came within a touchdown, and were up 14-3 at one point.  Saying that they lost proves nothing.  They have the talent to be an upper-tier team in a P5 conference.  Yeah, may they go 8-4 instead of 12-0 as currently constructed?  Sure.  But an 8-4 team in a P5 is still a top 25 team.  To your points, a big disparity is quality of athletes.  Well, you get into one of those P5 conferences and suddenly better recruits come calling.

Long story short, and I've said this for years.  The NCAA (who I despise) giving the Big 12 a waiver to hold a conference championship game despite not having 12 teams is the biggest issue.  Conference Championship games are largely a sham and stupid, however they aren't going anywhere because they're big money.  That's what started all of the conference expansion dominos in the first place.  The ACC stole Boston College, The Big Ten stole Nebraska.  All to get to that magic 12 number.  If the Big 12 were still required to have 12 teams, UCF would be in the Big 12 tomorrow.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

With the preface that I was at the Citrus Bowl and didn't watch the Fiesta (on that note, Florida Citrus Sports really dropped the ball not getting that negotiated in their contract.  We went from being tied as the most important non-BCS bowl to the 7th most important and now don't even have our timeslot to ourselves as the lead-in to the Rose?  That's... not great).

UCF was missing it's most important player and still came within a touchdown, and were up 14-3 at one point.  Saying that they lost proves nothing.  They have the talent to be an upper-tier team in a P5 conference.  Yeah, may they go 8-4 instead of 12-0 as currently constructed?  Sure.  But an 8-4 team in a P5 is still a top 25 team.  To your points, a big disparity is quality of athletes.  Well, you get into one of those P5 conferences and suddenly better recruits come calling.

Long story short, and I've said this for years.  The NCAA (who I despise) giving the Big 12 a waiver to hold a conference championship game despite not having 12 teams is the biggest issue.  Conference Championship games are largely a sham and stupid, however they aren't going anywhere because they're big money.  That's what started all of the conference expansion dominos in the first place.  The ACC stole Boston College, The Big Ten stole Nebraska.  All to get to that magic 12 number.  If the Big 12 were still required to have 12 teams, UCF would be in the Big 12 tomorrow.

Upper-tier in a P5 conference ? Maybe, but not the SEC. At least not anytime soon.

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah I agree with you about the NCAA giving the Big 12 a waiver; that is BS and I'm sure Texas had something to do with it.

If the Big 12 is solely looking for a ranked team, then, yes, UCF would be in tomorrow.  But look at the SEC.  When they expanded with Mizzou, they got another member of the AAU plus the St. Louis/ KCMO region for recruiting.  When they added Texas A&M, they got the richest football program in the NCAA plus Texas for recruiting (LSU recruits there heavily already).  If the Big 12 is looking for a school that gives them the recruiting region plus academics, they wouldn't pick UCF; they would pick USF.  Their respective Wikipedia pages says it all on that front.  As for attendance, trust me, if it's USF vs OU or Texas, Bucs Stadium fills up whether USF is good or sucks.  Likewise the same would be true at BHNS or the Citrus Bowl.

Then there's money.  UCF's football program does not have a lot of it.  The 66k students is a deceptive number; it is not a rich program- but, they do have an on-campus stadium, which is a plus.

So, I'm not really sure.  Is UCF being 13-0 and 12-1 the past two seasons- does that trump USF's academics and 7-5 and 10-2 seasons the past two years?  Let's look back further for both programs:

In  2016 UCF was 6-7 and USF was 12-2.

In 2015 UCF was  0-12 and USF was 8-5.  If you go back to here, four years ago, USF has won more games than UCF has.  So we look back further:

In 2014, UCF was 9-4 and USF was 4-8. 

In 2013, UCF was 12-1 (No.10) and USF was 2-10. 

In 2012, UCF was 10-4 and USF was 3-9 (final year of Big East). 

In 2011, UCF was 5-7 and USF was 5-7 (Big East).

In 2010, UCF was 11-3 and USF was 8-5 (Big East).

In 2009, UCF was 8-5 and USF was 8-5 (Big East).

In 2008, UCF was 4-8 and USF was 8-5 (Big East).

In 2007, UCF was 10-4 and USF was 9-4 (Big East).

In 2006, UCF was 4-8 and USF was 9-4 (Big East).

Ups and downs for both programs, but USF has shown that they could pull it together and win 10 games when they're good the past 5 years and had decent records the 6 or 7 years before that when playing in the Big East..  UCF is in it's latest upswing.  So, if there was expansion, how far back do they look?  Personally I think they look back at USF's Big East years and evaluate their on and off field performance in attendance and ticket sales, TV revenue, etc.  Good seasons under different coaches?  Sure.  Both schools have proven that.

I think it would come down to money and the ability of the Big 12 to make more of it.

I think what you’re missing is that just about every program has a spark that changes everything. It’s what happens after that spark that matters.

When did football at The U ever matter before Howard Schnellenberger? When did football at FSU ever matter before Saint Bobby? When did football ever matter at UF before The Head Ball Coach? (Riddle me this - how many conference championships did the Gators have before Steve?) Speaking of UF, how bout hoops before Billy Donovan (you may chuckle now - roundball in Gainesville was a joke)?

Now, certainly, the programs were building before the Spark (UF needed Charley Pell’s magic and unethical elixir of 0-10-1 to lay the groundwork for what Steve did later).

The point is that USF came out with a flash and proceeded to go nowhere. How many conference championships has USF won? Compare facilities between USF and UCF (there’s nothing to compare - the Knights are light years ahead.) Compare graduation rates and number of Merit Scholars -UCF is doing better than USF. (Remember, USF is the older school as well.) 

Did you know kicker Matt Wright is a part of the Honors College?

UCF’s groundwork was laid by the terribly unexciting George O’Leary. It was George who got us to our first New Year’s Bowl.

It is Danny White, however, who is the UCF Spark (not only in football btw). Just as with Howard and St. Bobby and Visor Steve, you grade the program from that point forward.

USF has yet to have that Spark that changes everything.

A final point - my congratulations to LSU on a great win. The odd thing though is that one would think we were totally wiped out. Funny thing is, UCF was SUPPOSED to lose by 7.5 points. We lost by 8 to one of the SEC’s storied blue bloods with a freshman QB. As Hank pointed out, the thing that makes me proudest is we never ever quit and came very close at the end to tying the score.

I know I’ll be there for the Spring game prouder than ever, right after Coach Dawkins takes us to the Big Dance. Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

^^

great post, and I agree.  My only question is what the Big 12's criteria would be.  UCF may have all that stuff ala grad rates and national merit scholars, but their Wiki page is severely lacking compared to USF's; USF's resume is all meat and potatoes whereas UCF seems to be all fluff with the 66k students as their main highlight; just look at their commercials on the internet.  Every time I clicked on Gator highlight videos this season, that UCF commercial where that girl gasps "wow...that's big" would come on.   Big versus relevant.  And by "big" just how many classrooms and dorms do they have, or is it a combo with their satellite campuses in Daytona and elsewhere and online enrollees?  Because I know one thing, both UF and USF have way larger campuses than UCF does.  Just look at their respective campus maps.  That 66k number means nothing.

I'm not on any selection committee; all I'm saying is that UCF is no shoe in.  Why would it be?  USF beat them to the Big East ten years ago and what makes you think they wouldn't beat them to the Big 12 if the opportunity arose, UCF's collective big ego and hype machine?  I don't think so.  The Big 12 isn't the AAC.  And if I was Danny White, I would be all up in the Big 12 commissioner's grill about expansion and making a deal, because, if it is a possibility, I guarantee you that USF has already had that lunch appointment at Mons or somewhere similar to seal the deal.  USF doesn't sit around waiting to see which way UCF's queefs blow; they have a knack for making moves (see their acceptance of UF's 2 for 1 and their joining the Big East).

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

^^

great post, and I agree.  My only question is what the Big 12's criteria would be.  UCF may have all that stuff ala grad rates and national merit scholars, but their Wiki page is severely lacking compared to USF's; USF's resume is all meat and potatoes whereas UCF seems to be all fluff with the 66k students as their main highlight; just look at their commercials on the internet.  Every time I clicked on Gator highlight videos this season, that UCF commercial where that girl gasps "wow...that's big" would come on.   Big versus relevant.  And by "big" just how many classrooms and dorms do they have, or is it a combo with their satellite campuses in Daytona and elsewhere and online enrollees?  Because I know one thing, both UF and USF have way larger campuses than UCF does.  Just look at their respective campus maps.  That 66k number means nothing.

I'm not on any selection committee; all I'm saying is that UCF is no shoe in.  Why would it be?  USF beat them to the Big East ten years ago and what makes you think they wouldn't beat them to the Big 12 if the opportunity arose, UCF's collective big ego and hype machine?  I don't think so.  The Big 12 isn't the AAC.  And if I was Danny White, I would be all up in the Big 12 commissioner's grill about expansion and making a deal, because, if it is a possibility, I guarantee you that USF has already had that lunch appointment at Mons or somewhere similar to seal the deal.  USF doesn't sit around waiting to see which way UCF's queefs blow; they have a knack for making moves (see their acceptance of UF's 2 for 1 and their joining the Big East).

And look where joining the Big East got them? That’s like all the folks who keep saying we should play all these away games like Boise State did. OK, where exactly did that get Boise State?

If we had a poll today of the best known G5 team in America, who do you think would win? Here’s a clue: it would NOT be USF.

One other thing to keep in mind. A Big 12  head coach is leaving to coach at an AAC school. He didn’t do it after being fired or being forced out - that’s where he wants to be.

That’s a huge change. The world is changing just like it changed on Sears and Walmart when a tiny upstart named Amazon came along. How did they miss it? It’s because they thought their world would never change.

College football is changing.  Nobody predicted 10 years ago that UCF would play in three New  Year’s bowls in 6 years and win two of them. But here we are.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Oh, and that name gets you noticed. G5 teams aren’t supposed to get 4- and 5-star recruits. (I still wonder how all that works out - “Crab Legs” Winston and “Johnny Football” come to mind.)

Assuming it’s a valid indicator, though, UCF got a 4-star today: DE Tre’Mon Morris-Brash.

Edited by spenser1058

Ya'll should both just combine and absorb Florida Polytechnic University as it was originally planned, call yourself University of South Central Florida Knighty-Bulls and build a giant Taj Mahal Stadium off of I-4 next to the Calatrava building and call it a day.  

(tongue in cheek for you bitter rivals, of course). 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Ya'll should both just combine and absorb Florida Polytechnic University as it was originally planned, call yourself University of South Central Florida Knighty-Bulls and build a giant Taj Mahal Stadium off of I-4 next to the Calatrava building and call it a day.  

(tongue in cheek for you bitter rivals, of course). 

I'm just not sure why all the fascination with USF. Until something major changes in Temple Terrace, the Bulls are on a fast track to nowhere.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm just not sure why all the fascination with USF. Until something major changes in Temple Terrace, the Bulls are on a fast track to nowhere.

actually, maybe you're correct.  it was opined to me that if the Big 12 expands, they're going after Houston...and then maybe a Florida team...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

actually, maybe you're correct.  it was opined to me that if the Big 12 expands, they're going after Houston...and then maybe a Florida team...

Here’s a current look at how far behind South Florida is (that’s their preferred nomenclature btw):

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2019/01/04/michael-kelly-roughly-13-million-raised-for-usf-football-center/

From the St Pete Times

TBH, I hope they get the Big 12 nod if that’s what they want. I believe there’s another path and I suspect Danny White may be headed in that direction also. It’s gonna be fun to see how it plays out.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, jrs2 said:

USF beat them to the Big East ten years ago and what makes you think they wouldn't beat them to the Big 12 if the opportunity arose, UCF's collective big ego and hype machine?

We know why USF was chosen over UCF for the Big East back when that happened... at the time, USF had a shiny new arena that literally matched UF's arena and overall better facilities, while UCF had its 4000 seat bleacher arena that was underwhelming in every manner. Now UCF has better facilities (and attendance) pretty much all around, and USF is the one with them in bad shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

We’ll leave this to Andy and Hank to tell us if this is the ultimate betrayal or a Trojan horse:

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-Football-Veteran-defensive-line-coach-Greg-Mattison-has-decided-to-accept-a-job-offer-from-Ohio-State-127452866/Amp/

Feom 24/7 Sports 

two things:  

1.  why did TOSU fire Schiano?

2.  the last time Meyer had an administrative role at UF and influenced the hiring of a coach, it was 2011 and UF hired Charlie Weiss as OC and Muschamp as HC.  Many believe that Foley went for Muschamp (much like he went for Zook 9 years earlier), but Meyer is the one who had the Belicheck connection, and probably influenced Foley about hiring a CIW since FSU had one waiting for Bowden to retire (Fisher, who kicked Meyer's ass in 2010).  Meyer went for Texas recruit Brantley (in '08) and shortly afterwards UF went after Texas CIW Muschamp.  Trojan horse there?  Dunno, other than the fact that Muschamp had a chip on his shoulder because he was shunned by SOS in the recruiting process and went to UGA instead.  Also, Meyer obviously knew he wanted to leave for over a year in double quitting on UF ('09 & '10), and without a doubt was in communication with TOSU after they fired Sweater Vest.  Taking the job at ESPN (post season 2010/2011) was a pretext to having to quit at UF so as not to arouse suspicion of his intentions to go to TOSU.

As for Mattison at TOSU, IMO, maybe. a Trojan Horse.  I say because MacElwain played Harbaugh 2x.  The first (2015) was a bowl game and the second (2017) was a recently scheduled kickoff classic game at Jerry's World.  He lost both games and mysteriously ended up on Harbaugh's coaching staff- of all teams in the NCAA to land at, he went to Michigan in 2018.  I know Harbaugh had to see a shrink in the late '80's to learn how to deal with Ditka.  We know that he psyched out Pete Carroll (when at Stanford) and Pete Carroll ended up going to the Pros.  So, he causes, more or less, Carroll to leave USC, gives MacElwain a job (after MacElwain dumps two games to him), and now sends Mattison to his bitter rival.

I dunno about ustedes, but I smell a rat (or two, or three).

Looks like I was right about the final rankings and the clout the AP put on UCF's record.  UF jumped to No.7 and UCF fell out of the Top 10.  But, UF should've been No.6, not LSU, because UF was No.10, LSU was No.11, and UF beat No.7, and LSU beat No.8, and UF beat LSU during the season.  But, UF was tied with UGA, and LSU beat UGA, so that's probably what they looked at.  Anyway.  

So, anyone?  Who's Florida's highest ranked team...by alot?  UCF will have to change it's title to "Orange County, Florida's Highest Ranked Team."  Charge on!

• Haha 1

Given that we ranked ahead of 11 big bad SEC teams (with that all-important tradition behind them, don’t you know, plus millions of dollars in resources we’ve never had), not to mention ahead of Miami and FSU, I can’t feel badly about our tiny little outpost in the palmetto scrubs.

Many of our guys are coming back plus we get another top-flight QB from Hawaii coming along. I’m also looking forward to KZ coming back in 2020 if not this year. Charge On, indeed!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-ap-top-25-0109-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058