Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

The other top tier teams in the AAC are struggling in bowl season, with USF losing to C-USA power Marshall, Memphis once again falling apart in the second half to Wake Forest and Houston being marched over by Army in one of the worst defeats in the history of college football bowls.

We dare not get ahead of ourselves as we have our own challenge ahead with #11 LSU, but it does seem as though UCF is developing a consistency that’s lacking among several of our peer schools.

Danny White’s decision to decline the UF 2-and-1 offer suggests he believes the successes the Knights are having will allow us to bypass the legacy conferences and use our own brand and unique location (a fast-growing MSA and media market and the largest student population in the country) to accomplish our goals.

To do that, however, requires other schools in similar positions to build a compelling case that sports media simply can’t ignore.

As schools like USF, Houston, Memphis and even FAU founder, that becomes much harder.

Programs like FIU, UAB and MTSU are off to solid starts but they’re still several years away from competing on the same level as UCF.

There are solid schools out west (Utah State, Boise State, Fresno State and even BYU) but the logistics of affiliating with them in a meaningful way may be challenging.

Danny White has one of the sharpest minds among the younger generation of ADs. It’s going to be interesting to see how he works this out.

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Danny White’s decision to decline the UF 2-and-1 offer suggests he believes the successes the Knights are having will allow us to bypass the legacy conferences and use our own brand and unique location (a fast-growing MSA and media market and the largest student population in the country) to accomplish our goals.

To do that, however, requires other schools in similar positions to build a compelling case that sports media simply can’t ignore.

I truly think you're delusional on this.  None of those things are related.  Turning down a 2-for-1 is because it would hamstring the ability for UCF to get 6 home games a year in the future when they already have home and homes with Stanford, Pitt, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and UNC.

2 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I truly think you're delusional on this.  None of those things are related.  Turning down a 2-for-1 is because it would hamstring the ability for UCF to get 6 home games a year in the future when they already have home and homes with Stanford, Pitt, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and UNC.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but the last piece I read on this was that the goal was to schedule UF into the 2020’s beyond and around the arrangements with the other P5 teams.

I haven't read that thoroughly into it because I largely believe its a made-up controversy.  But short version is that you want/need to be in a place where 7 home games is the norm.  Even if you schedule it beyond the current arrangements, there will always be future arrangements.  As long as you're in the AAC, you're going to need at least 2 big home and homes a year.  You alternate them so you always have one at home.  Realistically you need to be at the point where FAU/FIU aren't home and homes.  You're just paying them to come here.

• Thanks 1

As you point out (correctly, I think), it is indeed a made-up controversy. Danny White has acknowledged he was led to believe anything with UF wasn’t on the table.

When that changed (after Scott Stricklin at UF offered the 2-and-1 to deflect criticism around the Peach Bowl decision from which he had recused himself), both sides did their due diligence and they found neither side was willing to change its scheduling strategy. 

As Danny pointed out in his withdrawal from further activity in the matter, both sides have valid reasons for that and the outcome is no harm, no foul.

Thanks to Coach Mullen, UF appears to be in an up cycle now and UCF’s run might well continue if we get past LSU.

If that’s the case, what may well be the state’s two best ranked teams won’t play each other to determine bragging rights but it’s happened before (i.e, UF and The U.)

Both programs can survive and prosper in a state of detente.

My post was a look at UCF’s possible strategy, not to cast any aspersions on what the Gators are doing.

Edited by spenser1058

Agreed entirely.  Now why a yearly discussion with Miami doesn't happen is a different story.  If UCF can maintain its current trend, and there can be 4 major schools in the state, then it would make sense to have a north florida intrastate interconference game and a new one for central/south florida

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Agreed entirely.  Now why a yearly discussion with Miami doesn't happen is a different story.  If UCF can maintain its current trend, and there can be 4 major schools in the state, then it would make sense to have a north florida intrastate interconference game and a new one for central/south florida

Honestly I hope not, having gone to the last Miami game on the UCF campus, afterwards, their vandalism was on the campus for a very long time (painting their U on sidewalks, buildings, furniture, etc). Never seen such a destructive fan base,

On 12/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

https://fbschedules.com/ucf-moving-on-from-football-series-discussions-with-florida/

this local news segment on this issue spells it out, and White himself states that if he were in Scott Stricklin’s Shoes, he’d have done the same thing (ala offering only a 2 for 1).

Vivid Seats, a ticket seller for bowl games, is predicting much better attendance for our Hometown National Champions at the Fiesta Bowl than LSU.

Because we know those fair-weather SEC fans just don’t have the, ummm, brand to encourage the faithful.

Charge On in the desert!

https://247sports.com/Article/College-bowl-game-ticket-sales-126899334/Amp/

From 24/7 Sports 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UCF finally reigns among Orange County drivers

The University of Central Florida finally is champion among Orange County drivers, winning the specialty license plate war for the first time ever against its instate rivals University of Florida and Florida State University.

http://orlando-rising.com/ucf-finally-reigns-among-orange-county-drivers/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

UCF finally reigns among Orange County drivers

The University of Central Florida finally is champion among Orange County drivers, winning the specialty license plate war for the first time ever against its instate rivals University of Florida and Florida State University.

http://orlando-rising.com/ucf-finally-reigns-among-orange-county-drivers/

I guess the Gators and ‘Noles just don’t have the brands they used to.

Here in OC, we Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

SEC - IT JUST MEANS MORE. 

(except when it comes time to play)

Hopefully, LSU manages to show up with at least 11...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-fiesta-bowl-lsu-without-top-three-cornerbacks-load-of-defensive-players-vs-ucf/amp/

From CBS Sports 

Edited by spenser1058