Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

markhollin

I love this tower and how it’s going to look on VU’s campus.    

Remind me what function Vandy proposes for the tower.   Looking at this image, after the elevators and stairwells, there’s not much usable square footage per floor plate.    But each one will have great views!  

03611984-DFAA-464C-AF10-4DDA3A329784.png

• Like 3

Don't know how true, but I've heard from many people that the top floors (penthouse)  of Tall Hall at Belmont is where the 'rich kids' (celebrities' children, et. al.) live on campus so they don't have to mingle with the hoi polloi.  I'd imagine this is VU's answer to that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Don't know how true, but I've heard from many people that the top floors (penthouse)  of Tall Hall at Belmont is where the 'rich kids' (celebrities' children, et. al.) live on campus so they don't have to mingle with the hoi polloi.  I'd imagine this is VU's answer to that. 

i also have heard this. and the room with the view facing downtown ie the best view, doesnt even have a price, it just goes to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

I may be incorrect, but I remember hearing when this was announced that the dorms would all be in the primary structure and the tower would be apartments for visiting faculty, guest lecturers, etc.  The University does not currently provide "preferred" housing to wealthier/more prominent students. Housing assignments are based only on a points system assigned by class (1 point per year attended up to 4) with extra half points given to students returning from GEO study abroad programs. The only preferential decision I'm aware of is anecdotal, but I did hear years ago that the card access system on all buildings was implemented as a security measure when one of the Perot children/grandchildren attended in the '90's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That was when I was there. It was the daughter's sorority house which changed from the keyed entry to a card system. It might have been a scheduled upgrade but I recall some saying it was because of RP's daughter... I think the tri-delta house, or maybe kappa alpha theta, but suffice it to say by the time I graduated all the sororities had the card system. 

• 3 weeks later...

Off topic of this building's construction, but on topic with Vanderbilt - I really wish Vanderbilt had a software programming school to help our tech sector. If Vanderbilt does have one and I am mistaken, is the program any good? 

Do any Nashville universities offer software programming?

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Off topic of this building's construction, but on topic with Vanderbilt - I really wish Vanderbilt had a software programming school to help our tech sector. If Vanderbilt does have one and I am mistaken, is the program any good? 

I believe that TSU/MTSU both offer Computer Science programs. I’m unsure of Belmont/Vanderbilt’s offerings. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I know it's not everyone's favorite school/campus, but I believe Lipscomb does have CS degrees as well.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, nashvylle said:

Thanks. Do we know how Vandy's computer science programs ranks nationally?

For what it's worth, US News and World Report ranks the graduate program in computer science at #58, which is quite a bit lower than the ranking of the university as a whole.

I would also add a plug for Nashville Software School (http://nashvillesoftwareschool.com/ ) , which is a local non-profit vocational school that trains students for jobs in software, data science, etc. I think a lot of the students who take part/full-time classes there end up staying locally for their eventual jobs in software/tech.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that's pretty much what it was 30 years ago when I was there. I posted a 'rant' here a couple months ago on this very topic. Vandy's focus has not changed from what seems to be their mission to prepare every one of its students for... um, grad school. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1