Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

markhollin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:27 PM, PHofKS said:

This 'college' will be named after Nick Zeppos. A video of the announcement here...

This also means E. Gordon Gee is still the only Vanderbilt chancellor to have NOTHING named for him on campus. Ironically, Gee is the one who kicked off the seemingly never-ending construction on campus that has been ongoing for the past 15+ years. 

When the Vandy board hired Gee away from Princeton he assured them that Vandy would be his last job. Vandy had only had 6 chancellors over its 125 years before him. When Gee left for Ohio State after only 7 years the board was not happy. Especially after all of the controversies caused by his wife and the $6 million renovation of the chancellor's mansion (which Zeppos never moved into). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, MLBrumby said:

As an alum it pains me to say this... I’m convinced the BOT is either too stupid/backward or is deliberately undermining the university’s future.  I can not figure out nearly all the decisions the VU BoT makes....regarding their campus plan.... athletics... and the fact their curriculum is still largely aimed at everyone going on to grad school...especially Engineering which I feel is missing a golden opportunity to develop Tech curricula that the new companies moving to Nashville are seeking. I have a unique perspective as I can compare to a similar (competitor) school as an alum of duke. Over the past 15 years it seems Vandy can’t get anything right.... meanwhile even Belmont is coming up with new majors and a modern curriculum that serves the community.  Seems all Vandy wants to do is buy more property and build fancy dorms.

Is this . . . serious?

I'd be interested to hear more details about what gives you this impression. I've spent daily time on campus the last couple of years after almost 20 years away. I assure you, the University is far more impressive in nearly every measurable way than it was in the late '90's. Vanderbilt has added new majors and encourages interdisciplinary studies so that most students now graduate with a double major or multiple minors. The campus plan has everything to do with recognizing changing dynamics in higher ed as well as responding to the new level of competition Vanderbilt faces, having raised the University profile dramatically in the last couple of decades. While Belmont is certainly doing good things and making bold changes, they also are facing some serious growing pains. I hope they keep improving, but these two institutions are not comparable. They serve dramatically different purposes. Vanderbilt has made some decisions I disagree with, but the Board is following a long range plan laid out twenty five years ago. The moves have transformed quality of life for the students (the financial aid changes alone have been unbelievably important). University leadership seems to be positioning Vanderbilt to be able to maintain and hopefully expand upon recent success. The campus plan is a big part of this, but overall it goes much deeper than fancy dorms and land banking.

• Like 4

And yet, we're still tied for (what is it?)  "14th best" college in the country... and our athletic teams are not competitive in their league (except for baseball b/c the best of the best are going through the farm leagues).  Our student body size is virtually the same as when I attended over 25 years ago. And tuition is higher than our peers. I know more than two dozen recent HS grads who didn't even bother applying to Vandy. Time and time again, I heard, "Vandy doesn't accept students from Tennessee/the South"  "Vandy doesn't offer the major I want (usually computer related)" "Vandy's for the rich kids".... and to my surprise "Vandy's not very good anymore." What?  Vandy may be building an 'impressive' campus, but they're not getting the best young people that I know.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Time and time again, I heard, "Vandy doesn't accept students from Tennessee/the South"  "Vandy doesn't offer the major I want (usually computer related)" "Vandy's for the rich kids".... and to my surprise "Vandy's not very good anymore." What?  Vandy may be building an 'impressive' campus, but they're not getting the best young people that I know. 

These criticisms are nothing new. I heard them from people when I was an undergrad on campus. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Vandy has become dramatically more competitive over the past decade. Its student body is increasingly diverse, impressive, and competitive.

Around 10% of Vandy undergrads are from Tennessee. Which if you look at the overall state of secondary education and college-preparedness of many other states vs. Tennessee, the university is likely holding open spots for Tennessee kids to a certain extent.

One criticism I do have is that the "Why Vanderbilt" essay is no longer mandatory for applicants. They did it to get more Common App applications which had the positive effects of increased number and quality of applications and a lower acceptance rate. However, it also had the negative effect of making applying to Vandy just another checkbox  for applicants to click so more kids are going to Vandy just because it is the highest ranked school they got into instead of students with a true connection and dream to go to Vandy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, uberkarnie said:

Athletics is an entirely different topic and largely unrelated to quality of education, but the last twenty years have been the most successful by far of any period in Vanderbilt athletic history. They are nationally competitive year in and year out in every sport outside of Football and Basketball.

In other words, Vanderbilt is competitive in sports that most schools don't focus on. There are two sports that generate revenue to an athletic department. You just listed them as the ones you aren't competitive in. That's an issue.

Now, baseball aside -- Hawkins Field is a decent facility -- not so much because Vanderbilt has invested in it, but because Tim Corbin works his butt off making that the premier sport (and venue) on campus -- the athletic facilities are absolute garbage compared to even the mid tier of the SEC. Vanderbilt Stadium hasn't had a major renovation since 1983 (!!!!). Memorial Gym has it's charm, but it really, really needs an overhaul.

Yet, six of the nine bowls in University history came in the last 11 years. They've won five of the last eight against their biggest rival not long after ending a 22 year losing streak. Eight out of fifteen all time NCAA tournament appearances for men's basketball have come in the last 16 basketball seasons. This includes two of the six ever Sweet 16 appearances. Vanderbilt's athletic department has claimed 5 National titles in the last 13 years (UT has 3 in the same time frame).

Not to diminish the accomplishment, but 3 of those bowls came under James Franklin, which was a fortunate get for Vanderbilt (and likely not a hire that will be replicated). It should also be pointed out that all of this happened during a historically weak period in the SEC East. Tennessee was terrible. Florida was terrible. Georgia was average at best. MTSU would have been competitive in the East for a lot of those years. Basketball has always been Vandy's sport to brag about, and Kevin Stallings had some really good teams, but it wasn't really much of an outlier for Vanderbilt as a whole (I would say the recent struggles are more of an outlier than anything).

5 National Championships. 2 are baseball. What are the other 3? Hint: no one cares.

Obviously, there are issues at Vanderbilt that still need to be addressed and the last couple of seasons have been dreary for the revenue sports. If you take a step back and look at the big picture, Vanderbilt has undergone a transformation in two decades that is nothing short of remarkable and it isn't slowing down yet. Alumni should continue to apply pressure to the board and administration, there is still room for improvement; but there is so much to be proud of.

What are you seeing in the big picture? I'm seeing record revenues being distributed to the SEC, and literally every other school making a commitment to invest, while Vanderbilt uses it as a welfare check for their Athletic Department. Facilities are horrendously outdated and not up to par with the rest of the conference. Attendance is putrid. There is no buzz whatsoever. Your AD just got fired. And while everyone seems to like the interim/new AD, what's to say that she's not going to be handcuffed by an administration that seems to be hellbent on the status quo?

Vandy has it's hurdles. Small school, lots of out of state students, high academic standards. But it's not like schools like Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern haven't been able to overcome those challenges and simultaneously invest in athletics as well as academics.

All that said, I do like the new dorms on West End. I love the architecture, and I think they will age well. I just wish that they would pay just a tiny bit of attention to athletics from a university level...and maybe then they would be worthy of competing in the SEC. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...