Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 11/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, MLBrumby said:

Folks, don't forget this is all centered on the MCC, which has been crying for 2X more rooms for the past 5 years. Pipeline is helping them meet that need. 

Don't forget the additional tourism that will be generated from the NMAAM (people underestimate how big of a deal that is) and the corporations that have recently relocated downtown. Between those factors and now having the 3rd largest convention center in the SE US, the game has changed. 

Nashville was odd in that, for a long time, it didn't have a ton of hotel rooms for such a big tourist town. There was a ton of pent-up demand (even more so now).

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, markhollin said:

West Trinity Lane area residents want voices heard in development plans for that area:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20983190/west-trinity-lane-residents-look-to-reshape-development-plans

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.49.29 AM.png

If you read the article, some are voicing concern over loosing the history in the area. Pardon me but there is very little history on W Trinity. Just the old Jessie James house.

• Like 1

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/17/downtown-merchants-outcry-delays-key-vote-affects-nashvilles-house-blues/875965001/

I don't for the life of me understand why the lower Broadway bar owners are so adamantly opposed to street cafe-style seating. They always say they're worried about panhandlers, but nobody's going to force them to provide it if they don't want to. Yet they agitate militantly to keep it from happening anywhere on Broadway. They reacted the same way on the proposal to slim down the car lanes to give pedestrians more space? Why? I'm sure they have some kind of perceived financial stake but I don't understand what.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I don’t know why anybody would want to SIT at cafe seating along Broadway on any night or weekend (and many days in full blazing sun). The possibility of having your hot chicken dinner barffed on or some drunken hooligan falling in your lap makes the idea repugnant to me!

The outdoor seating would effectively be useless after like 7 pm. After that hour they’d either be covered in vomit or there’d be some idiot drunk redneck who would want to fight for a chair. During the day, though, would be ok. Especially with the added music museums, lower broad could be much more of a relaxing place during the day. 

Unfortunately the 2nd avenue tower proposal is down to only one tower now (per NBJ sources). This either can be a bad sign (I am leaning towards this) or a good sign. I will be very dissapointed if this falls through. The likelihood of me coming back to Nashville in the future is slim to none, but nevertheless this tower if built would be very beneficial to the city. I hope this doesn't fall through.

7 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I don’t know why anybody would want to SIT at cafe seating along Broadway on any night or weekend (and many days in full blazing sun). The possibility of having your hot chicken dinner barffed on or some drunken hooligan falling in your lap makes the idea repugnant to me!

I'd think the exhaust fumes from the cars would be bad enough. *hack*cough*

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, smeagolsfree said:

If you read the article, some are voicing concern over loosing the history in the area. Pardon me but there is very little history on W Trinity. Just the old Jessie James house.

If you are focusing on historical structures then you are correct.  However, residents in that area see where they live as part of a historical progression of African Americans in Nashville.  The Haynes area and Bordeaux in essence became the first suburban areas of Nashville that was  mostly African American in population.  The Haynes Manor  neighborhood was one of the first suburban neighborhoods built specifically for African Americans.  The Haynes area in general was also an area in which African American doctors, lawyers, educators and more migrated to as they shifted from the inner city to the suburbs.  Primarily because they were not welcomed in other parts of the city as Nashville began to sprawl.  The irony for middle and upper middle class African Americans in Nashville was that the city did no more to develop their suburban area than it did to develop the inner city where African Americans lived.  So, while it was a quieter, cleaner and more spread out environment for African Americans living in the suburbs, they still lacked features like shopping centers, better grocery stores, banks and restaurants that you would find in areas like Donelson, Madison, Harding, Antioch, etc.  I recognize that not all areas were equal, but even in the area where African Americans had better incomes, Nashville didn't not create opportunity for more growth in the area through commercial development.   So, development has been very slow in coming to the Haynes area and Bordeaux.  Even today there still are no shopping centers to include basic stores like Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Home Goods, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Old Navy or Kohl's.  There's no Chili's, Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ruby Tuesday's, I-Hop or even a Chipotle.  

I'm very supportive of developing W. Trinity Lane.  I think the W. Trinity Lane area closest to I-24 should be a lot more than what the city allowed it to become.  The infrastructure is already their to support office and hotel development.  It probably could support high rise apartment/condo development as well.  I'm okay with it stretching westward along the entire stretch of W. Trinity Lane onto Buena Vista Pike leading over to Clarksville Pike.  But somewhere in that mix of development there needs to be some sort of Town Center complex that provides both basic and hardware retail, restaurants and health service retail like vision, dental and fitness, a nice grocery store like a Wegmans, and home decor/design stores that do flooring, blinds, etc.  

• Like 2