Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Having lived in many other major metropolitan areas in my life, and having traveled extensively (all 50 states and 54 countries), I can state definitively that Nashville is doing a whole lot more RIGHT in its development than many places I have observed.

Good post.   This weekend, I was reading the new publication by the MHC Foundation, Nashville Architecture, A Guide to the City.    I recommend it (not just because my wife had a hand in the research and writing) to anyone interested in a good overview of this city's architectural heritage and how it has developed the way it has.    The book is not another re-tread list of what was and is lost.   To the contrary, it's a celebration of the significant architecture that is still here that we walk or drive by every day, including new structures like the MCC, Batman, CMHOF and almost every one of the preserved or renovated buildings you list above.    It's a feel good read about the wealth of built environment we have today.   It also illustrates the importance of saving and, wherever possible, adaptively reusing the gems we have from yesterday.            

• Like 2

Good post.   This weekend, I was reading the new publication by the MHC Foundation, Nashville Architecture, A Guide to the City.    I recommend it (not just because my wife had a hand in the research and writing) to anyone interested in a good overview of this city's architectural heritage and how it has developed the way it has.    The book is not another re-tread list of what was and is lost.   To the contrary, it's a celebration of the significant architecture that is still here that we walk or drive by every day, including new structures like the MCC, Batman, CMHOF and almost every one of the preserved or renovated buildings you list above.    It's a feel good read about the wealth of built environment we have today.   It also illustrates the importance of saving and, wherever possible, adaptively reusing the gems we have from yesterday.            

Amen. I'll need to check that book out.  Do you have a link or can recommend where to buy it?

For those who had been wondering, there is, indeed, remodeling going on with the exterior of the Renaissance Hotel.  

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/10/28/summer_2016_completion_eyed_for_renaissance_exterior_upgrade

The Renaissance Hotel will now and forever henceforth be known as "The Zebra". Appropriately hip for Nashville, no?

• Like 1

I wasn't crazy about the Sheraton downtown painting their building bright white.  Now...another building with white (stripes).  Not a fan.  Stands out a little too much.

I will wait till it is finished before I make a call on it. I will say the color it is now is dated. As far as the Sheraton goes, the exterior is better than what it was. As far as the inside goes........uck.. Makes me sick.

I wasn't crazy about the Sheraton downtown painting their building bright white.  Now...another building with white (stripes).  Not a fan.  Stands out a little too much.

I dunno, both of these buildings were looking severely dated and depressed with the fading, beige concrete. Personally, I think the Sheraton looks way better now, especially looking from the Capitol Mall vantage point. It's not like that building was an architectural gem anyway and it takes at least 20 years off the age of the building. Hell, if I were to be completely honest, I'd have to say all the concrete on the batman tower looks pretty dated now, too.

Anyway, coupled with the updates coming to the UBS building, this renovation should do a lot to help smooth the stark contrast in architecture between the cbd and the shiny, squeeky clean new development quickly rising in sobro and the gulch.

• Like 1

I dunno, both of these buildings were looking severely dated and depressed with the fading, beige concrete. Personally, I think the Sheraton looks way better now, especially looking from the Capitol Mall vantage point. It's not like that building was an architectural gem anyway and it takes at least 20 years off the age of the building. Hell, if I were to be completely honest, I'd have to say all the concrete on the batman tower looks pretty dated now, too.

Anyway, coupled with the updates coming to the UBS building, this renovation should do a lot to help smooth the stark contrast in architecture between the cbd and the shiny, squeeky clean new development quickly rising in sobro and the gulch.

I just wonder if they could have painted it a different color.  Maybe a light grey color.

You mention UBS, which received a top to bottom "power wash" that removed stains and pollution discoloration.   The result is a much "fresher" look, without paint.    That would have been an alternative for both the Sheraton and the Renaissance.    I have an issue with applying paint to towers that were not designed to be painted.   The biggest issue with the Renaissance is the orangish/red window trim.    To me, that contributes more than anything to its dated look.   

Also, noticed activity today on the cleared lot at 8th and Church where the old parking garage was removed.   There are workers on site and the temporary fencing is being removed.   Anyone know what's going on?   

Edited by CenterHill