Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The good thing about Nashville is that downtown is expanding and each expansion offers a bit of a unique vibe - a new neighborhood with character just waiting to be discovered. It is only going to get better.

I agree.  If every other area (The Gulch, Germantown, E. Nash, Midtown, 12South, etc) was all about country music and honky tonks...those who hate LoBro would have a point...but really, LoBro is the only place that's really like that in the city (as far as I know).

• Like 3

Agree with both of your statements.    The scene on Lower Broad is not everyone's cup of tea.    But it is a huge tourist draw.   You'd be surprised at how many professionals who come to town for business ask us to take them down there.    They've heard about it and when we go they seem to have a great time, can't stop talking about it afterwards.     It's because, as you say, very few other places have anything like it.           

I think it's a huge draw and a boon to Nashville. Having lived other places with dead downtowns, I think the energy in downtown Nashville is an incredible asset. My only gripe is that I wish the city or someone would have a regular contingent of personnel to clean the sidewalks.

• Like 4

Sorry, folks--I should clarify again.

"Hate" is far too strong a word here... I'm beyond grateful for what it is and what it does for the city, but I am equally disappointed in the city for not doing more to make it truly iconic, or at least a little more pleasant. Right now it's just a bunch of overcrowded pavement and cookie-cutter bars in faux-historic, completely uninteresting buildings. I'm not arguing about its success, I'm arguing about its appeal and how it could be so much broader.

The overabundance of loud band-laden balconies should have been limited a long time ago to prevent it the whole stretch from becoming so similar. They could do a better job of emptying the perpetually overflowing trash cans and cleaning up the grime. Also, we have beat to death the idea of cutting off all vehicular traffic down there (which I still maintain would be absolutely transformative for the area)...

...but what next?

I guess I'm frustrated that Lower Broadway has so much potential, but the city is fine to let it sit as-is. Cutting off traffic will increase the appeal for me, sure, but that is mostly because of a simple desire for increased safety. A proper implementation of the idea would completely replace the asphalt with some green space, a pedestrian plaza, or at minimum something that makes it feel less like you're standing in the middle of an empty street. Maybe just plant a tree somewhere! It wouldn't be hard to make the area feel a little more classy and universally appealing without losing the iconic feel.

And don't even get me started on our miserable riverfront! 1st Avenue could be beautiful and vibrant and take full advantage of the water that most cities don't even have. Instead, we have the ass-end of whatever's on 2nd that makes it feel more like a dingy alley.

Poor planning--all of it. Nashville strikes again.

What is needed are artists on Lower Broadway that ARE NOT COVER BANDS.  One of my favorite artists actually wears a shirt on stage that says "Cover Bands Suck." Lower Broadway does need more originality,  and you would get that with Jazz Clubs, art galleries, coffee shops, specialty cafe's etc, but that is not Nashville, or at least Lower Broadway. However, if you want expensive cuisine with an upper echelon clientele' than walk two blocks down to The Farmhouse, The Southern, Bob's Chop House, or Etch. People seem to know where to go to find the crowd they wish to be around. It's not very hard. If you want the hip-hop scene, go to the Limelight on Woodland. Again, with the internet at your fingertips, one can "google" whatever they want and go from there. Just wait until the Westin, JW Marriott and more Sobro properties open. City Winery is not far either and the Gulch is only a few blocks. 

Nashville has a long way to go. Lower Broadway as we know it is just a phase. It will change as it always has.

Except for my nightly walks to immerse myself in the construction and towers by walking downtown,  I keep my social scene on the East Side.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

Sorry, folks--I should clarify again.

"Hate" is far too strong a word here... I'm beyond grateful for what it is and what it does for the city, but I am equally disappointed in the city for not doing more to make it truly iconic, or at least a little more pleasant. Right now it's just a bunch of overcrowded pavement and cookie-cutter bars in faux-historic, completely uninteresting buildings. I'm not arguing about its success, I'm arguing about its appeal and how it could be so much broader.

The overabundance of loud band-laden balconies should have been limited a long time ago to prevent it the whole stretch from becoming so similar. They could do a better job of emptying the perpetually overflowing trash cans and cleaning up the grime. Also, we have beat to death the idea of cutting off all vehicular traffic down there (which I still maintain would be absolutely transformative for the area)...

...but what next?

I guess I'm frustrated that Lower Broadway has so much potential, but the city is fine to let it sit as-is. Cutting off traffic will increase the appeal for me, sure, but that is mostly because of a simple desire for increased safety. A proper implementation of the idea would completely replace the asphalt with some green space, a pedestrian plaza, or at minimum something that makes it feel less like you're standing in the middle of an empty street. Maybe just plant a tree somewhere! It wouldn't be hard to make the area feel a little more classy and universally appealing without losing the iconic feel.

And don't even get me started on our miserable riverfront! 1st Avenue could be beautiful and vibrant and take full advantage of the water that most cities don't even have. Instead, we have the ass-end of whatever's on 2nd that makes it feel more like a dingy alley.

Now this I can agree on.

I am thankful we have a vibrant downtown as I have been many places that's  it is dead during the daytime and a graveyard at night.

Now that everyone has had a chance to weigh in, let's get back to the topics at hand.

Addition of floors to the Library  lot.

L&C tower being sold, and there was another one thrown into the mix during this lively discussion.

I don't have a problem if you want to continue to discuss, but let's do it in the Coffeehouse.

• Like 3

But you are aware that Nashville has a multi-phase, multi-year riverfront improvement plan, right?    http://www.nashvilleriverfront.org/       And that we are 3 or 4 phases into it now, with the Cumberland Park on the east side, the Bridge Building renovations, the Ascend Amphitheater and park and the nearly completed east bank river access?     There is more to come - major improvements to both banks - but it's being phased in.    I'm very pleased with the progress so far.     

As for the historic Second Ave buildings that back up to First, I've also wondered why First Ave sides are not better utilized.   Part of it is that the First Ave side of these buildings were designed over a century ago as warehouses and loading bays for riverfront barge commerce.  In fact they still function as loading docks for all of the Second Ave businesses.     I would think the anti-noise crowd would like the fact that the riverfront between Broad and Church today is a quiet peaceful place to walk or sit and take in the river views.    If First Ave were bustling like Second  and Lower Broad, it would be a very different experience.    Perhaps the right kind of businesses (like coffee shops and cafes) lining First would be ok, but again, this is their loading access and the owners' primary businesses are upstairs.         

You raise a point: aside from loading access, is there any reason First Ave between Broadway and Union needs to remain open to through traffic?     

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

I don't exactly have a great deal of sympathy for anyone that moves into a nightlife district and then complains about noise.  They should have to tolerate it if they're going to live there.  Either tolerate it or move somewhere else in downtown or the rest of the city.  Plenty of other options exist. 

I'm with you guys that there could definitely stand to be a bit more refinement to the experience down on Broadway in terms of perhaps adding some options that don't involve boot sales or live country and improving the quality and safety of the pedestrian environment (significantly.)  But again, when it comes to the noise, I think those complaints are a little odd.  It's an entertainment and nightlife district.  It's supposed to be loud and a bit wild.  That's the whole point.  If you have issues with noise, avoid that street.  You wouldn't take a special trip into Chinatown and complain about the existing smell of Chinese food.  

Almost all of the apartments that are on 2nd ave north where built 20 years ago such that the residence were there before the loud street music.  I was just pointing out that if one wants more diversity on some of the lower floors and  and occupants on the upper floors of broadway that there may need to be a limit at some point if the noise due to speakers gets to loud.

This picture is obviously a few months old. Is all of the sidewalk and road work complete? 

Yes, it's now complete.  Crews had to come back and tear out/rebuild the drainage elements of the planter beds, but that work has now finished.     Some additional improvements on the greenway were finished recently also.   

• Like 1

Austin's 6th St is a great example of what Broadway could be for us during weekends and some week nights.  No cars on it and great ease of going from bar to bar.  I think it is a model the city should look at and to the poster that posted about 1st Ave a while ago I completely agree it is a beautiful stretch that could be made a centerpiece of the city but is instead wasted.