Charlotte area population statistics

12 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Ya'll, Dallas, Austin, and Phoenix do not have the water to support growth over the next 15 years, them being the largest cities in the country would suggest we have evolved past needing water as a society. Is Miami going to annex the everglades LOL. what a dumb article.

I don’t make the news, I just report it.  Fodder for discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 12:01 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Significant migration from NY State into NC and other States in 2022.  NC was in the Top 10 for destinations of relocated New Yorkers.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/11/29/new-yorkers-moving-census-bureau-inflation/71730570007/

this may have something to do with the movement south

Median price of one-bedroom units in NYC at all time high of $4,300 in November: report – QNS.com

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

New York, London, Tokyo, San Francisco, Seoul, Lagos, Beijing, Geneva, Zurich, Tel Aviv, Sydney, etc. are all “expensive”. It comes with the territory of being a big city… There’s a homeless people. It’s expensive. People live tight. People don’t have cars. People don’t have yards. People from around the world move to them (and slowly spread throughout the countries as generations go by).

Nothing in NYC has fundamentally changed in migration patterns… 

IMG_2631.png.ba1fb583f8019ffe31f886d20fd4b671.png

I think Miami has even a bigger gap 

IMG_2632.thumb.png.637d916ac15c8537796abe81fa9adc6e.png

My advice. If you don’t want to be expensive and you’re worried about negative domestic migration patterns, etc Don’t ever become a big urban city is all I can say. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, KJHburg said:

I am not really trying to pick a fight on this, but this stat, and your interpretation of it raises a question I have been struggling with. The statement ‘all time high’ indicates to me that the demand for NYC apartments is also at an all time high (meaning more people want to live there each year). But your interpretation (which I do understand, I can't afford $4,300 rents) is that the price will encourage people to leave (and presumably move to places like Charlotte where apartments are cheaper). While I think these rent levels are propulsive forces, it is also true that the rents generally keep going up (so, on net, NYC keeps adding high income people). A true “its too crowded there, nobody goes there anymore” situation.

When interpreting data like this I think its fair to ask, who is getting displaced from NYC to Charlotte by these rents? An neoclassical explanation is that it is the least [productive, educated, efficient, or energetic, pick whatever word is least offensive] of New Yorkers getting displaced to Charlotte. Given this selection process, does Charlotte really economically benefit from these migrants? Outside of some short term benefits to our real estate industry, while the answer is certainly yes ocasionally, but I am not sure that is true in the majority of cases. 

I recognize this is a thorny issue, but I think its fair to say that Charlotte really only economically benefits from migrants who earn above the mean wages. While we can’t really implement a screening system for this (like the Canadian’s have), very high local housing prices do play this role in filtering migration — higher relative housing prices in Charlotte suck for folks who want to get into the housing market, but may actually be good for the Charlotte economy in the long-run. [I don’t think I am advocating for this, I am just talking out loud]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am not really trying to pick a fight on this, but this stat, and your interpretation of it raises a question I have been struggling with. The statement ‘all time high’ indicates to me that the demand for NYC apartments is also at an all time high (meaning more people want to live there each year). But your interpretation (which I do understand) is that the price will encourage people to leave (and presumably move to places like Charlotte where apartments are cheaper). While I think these rent levels are propulsive forces, it is also true that the rents generally keep going up (so, on net, NYC keeps adding high income people). A true “its too crowded there, nobody goes there anymore” situation.

When interpreting data like this I think its fair to ask, who is getting displaced from NYC to Charlotte by these rents? An economic explanation is that it is the least [productive, educated, efficient, or energetic] (pick whatever word is least offensive) of New Yorkers getting displaced. Given this selection process, does Charlotte really benefit from these migrants? Outside of some short term benefits to our real estate industry, while the answer is certainly yes some of the time, I am not sure that is true in the majority of cases. 

I recognize this is a thorny issue, but I think its fair to say that Charlotte really only economically benefits from migrants who earn above the mean wages. While we can’t really implement a screening system for this (like the Canadian’s have), very high local housing prices do play this role in filtering migration — higher relative housing prices in Charlotte suck for folks who want to get into the housing market, but may actually be good for the Charlotte economy in the long-run. [I don’t think I am advocating for this, I am just talking out loud]

I’ve met people from all walks  of life move to Charlotte over the past 20 years.  Some come for the weather, some for the better cost of living, some for their jobs, for love, for school, relatives living nearby etc etc.  I’ve also met people who make very good money in NYC and still preferred to leave.  Sometimes it’s just personal choice.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I’ve met people from all walks  of life move to Charlotte over the past 20 years.  Some come for the weather, some for the better cost of living, some for their jobs, for love, for school, relatives living nearby etc etc.  I’ve also met people who make very good money in NYC and still preferred to leave.  Sometimes it’s just personal choice.  

Yea, I get the sometimes its just a choice part of this -- there will always be outliers. I was just approaching it from a neoclassical, on-average, perspective. Seems like when people leave NYC for Charlotte because of rents, on average, we get the lowest productivity New Yorkers. If this is what is playing out then we would expect to see declining relative wages in Charlotte and increasing relative wages in NYC. .

In reality, NY has seen a marginal decline in relative per capita income over the past decade, while we have seen essentially flat relative incomes in Charlotte.

image.png.132de3d30ab6b8cc5e23a5f7efdb3ad0.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Per REIS as of 3Q23

Charlotte had the following Multifamily Units Complete:

2013 - 3,739

2014 - 4,147

2015 - 4,042

2016 - 7,125

2017 - 5,358

2018 - 6,642

2019 - 8,156

2020 - 6,125

2021 - 6,891

2022 - 4,743 

Best Case Scenario Projections:

2023 - 4,117

2024 - 3,563

2025 - 6,464

2026 - 3,486

2027 - 3,299

Forecast:

2028 - 2,663

2029 - 2,145

2030 - 2,101

2031 - 3,157

In 4Q21 the inventory of multifamily units in Charlotte was 176,151. By 2032 it’s expected to be 215,723.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

What states do people come from and live in NC and in Mecklenburg?

North Carolina is filled with Yankees — maybe more than you think - Axios Charlotte

This has been listed several times over the past 15-20 years. Top 10 are: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, DC, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia.  I used to Uber part time and I’d ask every passenger where they were from. And I couldn’t believe how many would say NY or NJ.  It was literally every other person.  However there are many people from California, Texas and other states as well. 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3

California is new place lots of people are moving room not as many as the northeast but they are coming now too to Charlotte area.  I have always seen some California plates in Raleigh Durham but in the last few years I have seen more and more here in Charlotte. 

• Like 2