Charlotte area population statistics

2 hours ago, DownEast said:

Don't forget 1904 in St. Louis. 

Oh how forgettable that one was!  Thank you for that reminder! (Great) St.  Louis has only grown at a moderate rate since the early 20th century.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

That 1904 Olympic games was a wild affair and the marathon event the wildest of the entire motley aggregation. No city was ready to step forward as host of the Games so St Louis with the World's Fair celebrating the Lewis and Clark opening of the West centennial decided to add the Games as a cheap addition to their tourist draw. Planning? Not so much. Sport administration? Never heard of it. Event supervision? (fingers in ears: YadddaYadda I cannot hear you.)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

read this about metro Atlanta 25 years when it just crested 3 Million in population just slightly bigger then than we are today in the metro Charlotte area.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/census-atl-growth-population-how-much-more

The article missed the bigger thing which is that Charlotte should DEFINITELY be good to land an MLB team in 2050.... "-]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's somewhat surprising to see West Virginia as a low contributor to the in-migration number. We still see quite a few W. Virginia license plates in the area, however, those sightings are typically on interstate 77, which makes sense if they're just passing through. Could also be attributed to WV's already low population which just can't compete with the likes of Florida or New York. There used to be an old saying that went along the lines of "you see so many folks from West Virginia because this is how far a tank of gas will get them." I mean no offense to any WV natives, it's a beautiful state. 

• Like 4

When I was a boy we went on a family car trip through the plains and the west, destination Yellowstone Park, and saw damn near everything.  Weeks it was. I was 9, I think, and could soak up every detail. As an example we stopped in Mitchell South Dakota, among the dozens of stops, to visit the Corn Palace. Prior to the Interstate system. I hope you can believe there was such a time. South Dakota at that time proudly advertised it was The Sunshine State. I remember it well.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-com-original/from-sunshine-state-to-mount-rushmore-state/

https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/mitchell/entertainment/day-tours/worlds-only-corn-palace

edit: typo

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

I moved to Charlotte at the last period mentioned on that figure above and can testify that the distance between the outlying communities was vast and empty. Pineville-Matthews Road was a long stretch of two lane with farms on either side. It was YEARS before I entered Pineville proper. Too far. Davidson was a rumor. Mint Hill the same. L-o-o-o-ong time families populated a few of these municipalities. 1,000-2,000 people but a few family names widely represented. 

If going on Lake Norman for the day there was a store and diner on N US 21 that was your last chance without backtracking to the towns of North Mecklenburg. A lake weekend was a real outing. Many alive today can tell you about that time.

I met a few people who were or knew of folks that lived in lake Norman even prior to the dam and to this day their families still have a ton of money from selling out to developers. But they always talked about how it was like one stop light up there and hardly anything else. 

Anyone have a new estimation on when Charlotte City Limits will surpass 1 Million in population based upon the latest year over year increase?  I think Charlotte, Jacksonville and Columbus will all do it very close to one another (All within next 3 years)

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone have a new estimation on when Charlotte City Limits will surpass 1 Million in population based upon the latest year over year increase?  I think Charlotte, Jacksonville and Columbus will all do it very close to one another (All within next 3 years)

At a 1.7% growth rate (the 2021 - 2022 YoY change), the city limits would surpass 1 million in 7 years. 

Charlotte is on track to overtake Columbus in 1 - 2 years, but Jacksonville is also growing pretty fast and has a larger base population by about 74,000 people so Charlotte would need to accelerate growth to overtake Jacksonville (but CLT is slowly closing the gap and JAX will only be about 65,000 people larger by the end of the decade). 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

At a 1.7% growth rate (the 2021 - 2022 YoY change), the city limits would surpass 1 million in 7 years. 

Charlotte is on track to overtake Columbus in 1 - 2 years, but Jacksonville is also growing pretty fast and has a larger base population by about 74,000 people so Charlotte would need to accelerate growth to overtake Jacksonville (but CLT is slowly closing the gap and JAX will only be about 65,000 people larger by the end of the decade). 

It’s a waste of time to even compare with JAX as that city is a combined city-county population which isn’t a fair comparison.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ABCW said:

City population is pretty much meaningless in general. If going by city proper Charlotte is larger than Miami, Atlanta, and San Fransisco. 

100% agree. City population just determines how many people live under a certain city council and mayor. Metro and CSA population is how large a region's culture, economy, et. influences the nation and world. All reasons Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, et... are objectively more important places than Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Columbus as people think of city's based on their region, not just their specific city limits for the purposes of municipal services / governing at the local level.  

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

^Big win for NC and Wilmington w/ Brunswick. 

The Hickory MSA is officially now in the Charlotte Combined Statistical Area, pushing the consolidated region all the way out to Burke County in the mountain foothills. The CSA population for Charlotte should easily be close to 3.2 million now.

No changes to the Charlotte MSA definitions. 

Wake and Durham remain separate metros this go around. 

How about Winston and Greensboro?

• Like 2