Charlotte area population statistics

I would speculate this:  more singles and couples only moving to Mecklenburg County while families moving to this region choose the surround the counties for various reasons including less expensive and larger homes, better public schools etc.  This leaves Meck which has the far the largest share of multifamily units to capture the singles and couples.   Most families I know moving to the region end up in the suburban counties.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

I believe this was  one year anomaly. Not a trend or turning point. Census data for one year is untrustworthy for decisions. Especially a pandemic year.

By the way three professionals (city, state and commercial real estate researchers) and Charlotte Ledger refuted this really lazy claim by the county. Not to mention that Census was a disaster in the demagoguery that was the Trump Administration, its possible tens of thousands of people refused to answer. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would speculate this:  more singles and couples only moving to Mecklenburg County while families moving to this region choose the surround the counties for various reasons including less expensive and larger homes, better public schools etc.  This leaves Meck which has the far the largest share of multifamily units to capture the singles and couples.   Most families I know moving to the region end up in the suburban counties.  

no reason to speculate it was bunk

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we even know what time period had the supposed decline?  Can't even begin to speculate without that piece of info.

Doesn't sound like census related at all, as county data was published over 2 years ago.

Edit:  I believe a lot of private party estimates rely on USPS change of address info which is released annually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Edit:  I believe a lot of private party estimates rely on USPS change of address info which is released annually.

They do, and the USPS Master Address File is updated monthly. Unfortunately it is reporting occupied housing units, not population. The private data vendors need to estimate household size to estimate populations from the USPS address data, and HH sizes got really wacky during the pandemic.

I agree, there is little we can say about those ‘declines’ without information about the source of the data (and the time boundaries of the data). That said, the mere suggestion that Charlotte is no longer growing is an existential shift in our economic development culture.

IMG_1398.jpegFrom: https://realestate.charlotte.edu/research/2022-state-housing-report

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

Cincinnati is interesting to watch. Went on a tear from 1820-1840, chilled for like half a century, started falling in the 1890s, and fell off the list by 1920.  Cleveland as well but was like 50 years behind in all aspects.  And Buffalo was absolutely all over the place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nicholas said:

Cincinnati is interesting to watch. Went on a tear from 1820-1840, chilled for like half a century, started falling in the 1890s, and fell off the list by 1920.  Cleveland as well but was like 50 years behind in all aspects.  And Buffalo was absolutely all over the place.

Buffalo had an interesting variation in population and significance. It was made by the Erie Canal which lowered shipping costs from NYC to the Great Lakes by 90+% (!). Railroads then concentrated on Buffalo as cargo moving up the St Lawrence needed to off-load due to the Niagara River and Falls. As with Montréal, the St Lawrence Seaway spelled trouble for Buffalo as cargo could go to and from central North America, Canada and U. S., all the way to Europe or anywhere short of there. Mammoth rail yards and warehouses, cold storage and all kinds of depots and shipping were now redundant. Plus the weather.

The good part of the Buffalo story was that the Falls made for outstanding power generating potential and Buffalo was the first fully electric lighted city in the world. This new power source assisted in commerce. This advantage was not long lasting, as we all know.

https://www.skny.io/ny/buffalo/fun-facts/first-city-with-electrically-lit-streets

Lesson:  technology may confer advantages that are less durable than expected.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 9:38 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

What exactly are we to believe when it comes to the City Population Estimates?  World Population Review estimates Charlotte has overtaken Columbus, OH in city limit’s population but do we wait for the US Census Bureau estimate?  Some cut n paste & links noted below:

Columbus is a city located in Delaware County, Fairfield County, and Franklin CountyOhio. Columbus has a 2024 population of 917,811. It is also the county seat of Franklin County.Columbus is currently growing at a rate of 0.54% annually and its population has increased by 1.27% since the most recent census, which recorded a population of906,266 in 2020.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/columbus-oh-population

Charlotte is a city located in Mecklenburg County North Carolina. Charlotte has a 2024population of 928,154. It is also the county seat of Mecklenburg County.Charlotte is currently growing at a rate of 1.67% annually and its population has increased by6.06% since the most recent census, which recorded a population of 875,115 in 2020.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/charlotte-nc-population

Anyway - I used to be excited about Charlotte surpassing Jacksonville, FL to be most populated city in the Southeast but with their current rate of growth that may never happen…

I take the site with a grain of salt.  For example, their entry for Durham...  https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/durham-population.  There is a Durham, Ontario https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham,_Ontario but it's not bigger than 3000 people.   I have a hard time imagining that Jacksonville, FL leapfrogged over Austin and Ft. Worth, TX to reach 1 million.  Did Jacksonville, FL annex even more territory?!

Edited by Richhamleigh, DC
  • Like 1

Also, it should be noted that Jacksonville is consolidated with Duval County, whereas Austin is not with Travis County. So, the scale is different. And while communities in Duval chose to remain separate, Jacksonville not only covers a larger land (874sqmi) compared to Austin (320sqmi). Austin also got hit pretty hard during the COVID pandemic as folks moved out of cities, whereas Jacksonville, being the beach community it is and much larger in area, gained from that loss. So, I would say trust nothing until the 2030 Census numbers come out because the latter half of this decade will be a return to 2020 numbers and growth upward. Austin is still the poster child for insane growth, and I imagine it to overtake Jacksonville in the next couple years. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

this is interesting since Brunswick County NC was added back to Wilmington MSA from Myrtle Beach MSA  to see how the 2 metros areas grew. 

op 10 U.S. Metro Areas in Annual Percent Growth:
July 1, 2022 to July 1, 2023
Rank Metro Area April 1, 2020
(Estimates Base)
July 1, 2022 July 1, 2023 Percent Growth
1 Wildwood-The Villages, FL 129,745 144,767 151,565 4.7%
2 Lakeland-Winter Haven, FL 725,048 788,382 818,330 3.8%
3 Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC 351,032 383,147 397,478 3.7%
4 Ocala, FL 375,904 396,437 409,959 3.4%
5 Port St. Lucie, FL 487,660 520,873 536,901 3.1%
6 Hinesville, GA 81,429 86,314 88,804 2.9%
7 Midland, TX 175,224 177,247 182,324 2.9%
8 Spartanburg, SC 355,232 372,687 383,327 2.9%
9 Wilmington, NC 422,601 454,390 467,337 2.8%
10 Daphne-Fairhope-Foley, AL 231,768 246,531 253,507 2.8%
Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

from Biz Journal today  Fastest growing counties in the region are in order:  Lancaster, Union, Lincoln, then Iredell  then the rest.    Charlotte metro's population growth led by these counties: Census Bureau - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Charlotte-area counties are listed below in ascending order of their population percentage change between July 2022 and 2023.

Anson County

• 2023 population estimate: 21,897
  • Numeric change: -61
  • Percentage change: -0.3%

Chester County

• 2023 population estimate: 32,226
  • Numeric change: +233
  • Percentage change: +0.7%

Rowan County

• 2023 population estimate: 151,661
  • Numeric change: +1,988
  • Percentage change: +1.3%

Gaston County

• 2023 population estimate: 237,242
  • Numeric change: +3,272
  • Percentage change: +1.4%

York County

• 2023 population estimate: 298,320
  • Numeric change: +4,119
  • Percentage change: +1.4%

Cabarrus County

• 2023 population estimate: 240,016
  • Numeric change: +4,107
  • Percentage change: +1.7%

Mecklenburg County

• 2023 population estimate: 1,163,701
  • Numeric change: +19,626
  • Percentage change: +1.7%

Iredell County

• 2023 population estimate: 199,710
  • Numeric change: +3,836
  • Percentage change: +2%

Lincoln County

• 2023 population estimate: 95,675
  • Numeric change: +2,567
  • Percentage change: +2.8%

Union County

• 2023 population estimate: 256,452
  • Numeric change: +7,280
  • Percentage change: +2.9%

Lancaster County

• 2023 population estimate: 108,215
  • Numeric change: +3,491
  • Percentage change: +3.3%
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:
  •  

The Census Bureau compensated MYR by making it a CSA.  How, I have no idea but it basically keeps the population where it was before Brunswick was rightly returned to ILM.   

Also interesting is how the Census Bureau in Table 8 uses the CSA population first DFW, HOU, ATL, TPA, etc. use the CSA populations.  If they had done the same for CLT, MCO, and RDU for example, that Table would be very different.

Edited by Richhamleigh, DC
  • Confused 2