Charlotte area population statistics

I still contend Raleigh Durham and the Triad should be one large metro.  Lets see what happens over the next decade.  The reason I say that is if based on commuting several big things are happening in both areas that will affect commuting and both require in person office or plant attendance.   Apple is building their huge campus in Wake County RTP portion and plenty of people will commute from the separate Durham metro area over there not only from Durham but from Chatham County.  Chatham County part of Durham metro has part of the town of Cary (in the Raleigh metro) over into its county.  People in Chatham commute into Wake, Durham and Orange.  With the new Vinfast plant in the "Durham metro county of Chatham" which is closer in miles to Apex and Cary in the Raleigh metro.   Those 7000 plus jobs will be filled with workers from the Raleigh and Durham metro areas and beyond.  

In terms of Greensboro and Winston metros several major huge job announcements were made in the last year or so at PTI airport in western Guilford.  Boom Supersonic, 1800 jobs, Marshall Aviation 250 jobs, HondaJet expansion 200 jobs all at the airport.  I am sure MANY of their workers from come Forsyth and and other counties in the separate WS metro.  

Raleigh Durham is one metro in the eyes of most large businesses and retailers.  Dittos for the Triad.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

If Vinfast reaches 7,000 people that will truly be a miracle that will make landing on the moon look easy. I wish newspapers and the media locally based in NC would do more to challenge Vinfast and the state and ask the tough questions citizens deserve. For example... Vinfast's Phase 1 plans show a plant much smaller than 7,000 jobs. How many people can we expect to be hired for Phase 1? 1,000 people? 2,000 people? 3,000 people?  Clearly they won't need 7,000 in Phase 1 with such a relatively smaller manufacturing plant so it raises the question on how many incentives they get during the 32 year period they have to actually hit the 7,000 job number. Do they have to pay the state back for the road infrastructure and eminent domain of property if this only becomes a 2,500 person factory indefinitely or they exit the US market? Meanwhile our media is like parrots and just keeps quoting the 7,000 person job figure which the Phase 1 plant won't need.

They have 2,800 cars sitting in the parking lot of an abandoned building in Long Beach, CA that nobody wants... Even in their entry market of California responsible for 40% of EV sales nationwide. They are trying to give them away... No takers. I'm sure they are freaking out about their SPAC (delayed again) and terrible media reviews it is the worst car in modern history.

Whether Boom or Vinfast fail here first is anybody's guess, but these are still long shots to reach promised job numbers and history has shown job announcements don't always pan out (Centene, Sealed Air, Chiquita, Advanced Auto, et.). While our incentive program claws back if you don't reach some numbers, it is still sad to think so many people had eminent domain on their property for the Vinfast plant if they don't make it through their fundraising and can't get a foothold in the market. 

I don't understand it either. You literally cannot find kind words for Vinfast products in automotive reviews, but every time there's movement on the factory here, It's another victory lap for the local press and econ dev rags.

• Thanks 2

On 7/23/2023 at 7:39 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Orlando is still a much larger CSA 

Yet, there is zero desire to add a MLB franchise to Greater Orlando because 1) it's home to several MLB franchises' spring training camp facilities who basically give the area access to the multiple MLB teams at once on discount and 2) the direct proximity to the Tampa Bay Rays MLB franchise and being within the primary market area. 

In other words, Orlando is not to the expansion list according the current MLB Commissioner himself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/07/25/clt-alliance-113-daily-movers-population-growth.html

Also the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance (CRBA) numbers might be lower than the actual rapid population count because Union County has exited the CRBA b/c they wanted more direct control over business recruitment. 

The number might be closer to approximately 150 new residents moving here daily since Union County is excluded from the estimate.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:53 AM, CLT2014 said:

If Vinfast reaches 7,000 people that will truly be a miracle that will make landing on the moon look easy. I wish newspapers and the media locally based in NC would do more to challenge Vinfast and the state and ask the tough questions citizens deserve. For example... Vinfast's Phase 1 plans show a plant much smaller than 7,000 jobs. How many people can we expect to be hired for Phase 1? 1,000 people? 2,000 people? 3,000 people?  Clearly they won't need 7,000 in Phase 1 with such a relatively smaller manufacturing plant so it raises the question on how many incentives they get during the 32 year period they have to actually hit the 7,000 job number. Do they have to pay the state back for the road infrastructure and eminent domain of property if this only becomes a 2,500 person factory indefinitely or they exit the US market? Meanwhile our media is like parrots and just keeps quoting the 7,000 person job figure which the Phase 1 plant won't need.

They have 2,800 cars sitting in the parking lot of an abandoned building in Long Beach, CA that nobody wants... Even in their entry market of California responsible for 40% of EV sales nationwide. They are trying to give them away... No takers. I'm sure they are freaking out about their SPAC (delayed again) and terrible media reviews it is the worst car in modern history.

Whether Boom or Vinfast fail here first is anybody's guess, but these are still long shots to reach promised job numbers and history has shown job announcements don't always pan out (Centene, Sealed Air, Chiquita, Advanced Auto, et.). While our incentive program claws back if you don't reach some numbers, it is still sad to think so many people had eminent domain on their property for the Vinfast plant if they don't make it through their fundraising and can't get a foothold in the market. 

Considering they only saw 37 initial orders in California Im more then skeptical. However what's good for Chatham County is good for the state so wishing the company great success!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

story from the Charlotte Regional Business alliance about the regions economy with some future population stats for 2030.  However they transposed the numbers for Lancaster and Meck counties.

https://charlotteregion.com/news/2023/08/03/alliance-news/future-of-work-and-housing-trends-assessing-the-charlotte-region-s-economy-halfway-through-the-year/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

NPR reported today on the overall increase in the foreign born population in the US based on the American Community Survey data for 2022.

The immigrant population in the U.S. is growing again : NPR

Goergia was cited for the largest increase from last year (10.7% of the population and a .7% increase over the prior year). I was curious how our state fared YoY so I took a look at the data. The foreign-born population comprises 8.5% of our state's population as of 2022 (916,787 out of 10,698,673 residents). From 2021 (869,786 out of 10,551,162 residents) it was a growth rate of .3% for NC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Charlotte with a larger urban population than Minneapolis and Denver was surprising to say the least. http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

However they measured it, Urban Charlotte has over 2x more land area than Denver but Denver was 85% more dense than Charlotte. 

Though it must be ridiculously impossible to try to make a global dataset. A curiosity to me is for example Birmingham over Denver, LA so far above Paris & London. But it’s really good data and probably as good as it gets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

However they measured it, Urban Charlotte has over 2x more land area than Denver but Denver was 85% more dense than Charlotte. 

Though it must be ridiculously impossible to try to make a global dataset. A curiosity to me is for example Birmingham over Denver, LA so far above Paris & London. But it’s really good data and probably as good as it gets. 

I think that is Birmingham, UK which is considerably larger than Birmingham, AL. That being said, Denver should be higher than both. Also, the Greater LA CSA usually includes Riverside and San Bernardino all the way out to Palm Springs, which has been topping close to 17m in recent estimates, which, while a shame, is considerably larger than both Paris and London (says something about density and the controlled growth compared to the US). 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Per Rent Cafe, 28202 Zip code was #46 of the top 50 zip codes in apartment units added between 2018 & 2022.

2,837 units were added.  

Some of the higher ranking zip codes were more sprawling. Compared to southern peers, Charlotte performed solidly in the urban core. Nashville’s Gulch/West End was #4 & the highest for a southern city. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn’t seen this one.  Let’s watch and see what happens…

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article281034473.html

Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia ranked no. 13 on the list, ahead of Las Vegas, Chicago and San Francisco. According to the study, the metro’s population jumped from 2,250,187 to 2,684,276 between 2010 and 2020, a 19.29% 10-year growth rate. The estimated population in 2100 could be 11.01 million people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia ranked no. 13 on the list, ahead of Las Vegas, Chicago and San Francisco. According to the study, the metro’s population jumped from 2,250,187 to 2,684,276 between 2010 and 2020, a 19.29% 10-year growth rate. The estimated population in 2100 could be 11.01 million people.

Dallas having more than 10 million more people than present day NYC. It’ll be interesting to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Take this with the tiniest grain of salt imaginable. This is essentially assuming equal growth rates for the next 70 years and I think we all know that isn't possible. Not saying Charlotte or others won't grow, but the rates given are not likely any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Take this with the tiniest grain of salt imaginable. This is essentially assuming equal growth rates for the next 70 years and I think we all know that isn't possible. Not saying Charlotte or others won't grow, but the rates given are not likely any time soon. 

Nope.  I just gambled my entire fortune that these numbers are accurate to within a cat’s whisker.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Even at 60% or 70% of those numbers it’s still impressive