CHKD In-Patient Tower (Completed)

mikeas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

On a side note, do any of you believe this is really just an expansion of Downtown Norfolk, versus a creation of Midtown Norfolk?  What does Midtown offer as far as services?  Wouldn't a "Midtown" label ignore the geographic particulars of Norfolk as a whole?  

Just thinking out loud.  I am super excited about the happenings around here.  Just wondering what you all think, when considering Norfolk as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urbanitetime said:

On a side note, do any of you believe this is really just an expansion of Downtown Norfolk, versus a creation of Midtown Norfolk?  What does Midtown offer as far as services?  Wouldn't a "Midtown" label ignore the geographic particulars of Norfolk as a whole?  

Just thinking out loud.  I am super excited about the happenings around here.  Just wondering what you all think, when considering Norfolk as a whole.

Last June, there was some similar discussion about what to call this area - Midtown,  Atlantic City , Fort Norfolk.  Someone even suggested SoCo for South Colley.  Look in the River Tower thread, towards the end of Page 13.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, Urbanitetime said:

Welcome to the forum Urbanitetime. It's good to have you here.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We were down in Norfolk this weekend and I was most impressed with the presence of the CHKD tower when viewed from Western Branch of the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth.  Norfolk skyline as seen from this vantage point is looking quite impressive.  Unfortunately we were on the Amtrak bus headed to Newport News and I was unable to take a picture of the skyline.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 5:11 PM, metalman said:

The pic doesn’t do the visual justice, but that area is impressive now driving up the Brambleton bridge.  River tower, EVMS and CHKD gives a presence “hitherto unseen”.  :tw_lol:

7CF7AE2B-1514-4C90-8455-00A86C3F62A1.jpeg

I used to fantasize what it would look like to see a secondary skyline driving over this bridge every time I crossed it. Great to see that is finally becoming a reality, and I have to say, it looks decent.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, br0guy said:

Looks like a completely different building from that angle :tw_grin:

Totally different and I like it a lot from this angle. The contrast between light and dark, the back drop of the water it's quite nice. 

Next up tear down that office tower forward on the left and replace it with something twice as tall and 100x as nice  :tw_sweat_smile:

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • vdogg changed the title to CHKD In-Patient Tower (Completed)
On 4/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, Urbanitetime said:

What would you like to call it? What services would you like to see there that aren’t there at present?  

I think there are  arguments both for not calling it Midtown and not calling it Downtown.  Maybe the area should be given another name—-a new name heretofore unmentioned.

I’m kind of tired of the four letter, directional-based, placeholder acronyms which inevitably sound like they’re trying way too hard emulate NYC.   So maybe “Medical Centre Norfolk,”  “BramCo, “ “Colley South,” “Downtown West,” “Westown,”  “Crossroads.”  Even “New Atlantic City” would be ok. 

Edited by baobabs727

As much as I'd love for it to be a true extension of downtown, Midtown makes sense given it's right there at the foot of the Midtown Tunnel.

That said, it looks like Norfolk plans to call another section of the city "Midtown". 

The amendment includes the adoption of a new plan, the City of Norfolk Midtown Plan (Midtown Plan), for the area known as Midtown, roughly between the neighborhoods of Park Place, Villa Heights, the Railroad District, Lindenwood/Cottage Heights/Barraud Park, and Olde Huntersville.

https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/72631/PH-01-Amend-plaNorfolk2030---Adopt-City-of-Norfolk-Midtown-Plan

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1