CHKD In-Patient Tower (Completed)

mikeas

13 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

What do all these new high-rises, apartments and the vast medical complex have to do with a  1794-1810  defensive fort authorized by George Washington?

The area is currently known as Fort Norfolk (as shown here https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1632/Downtown_Norfolk_2030?bidId= ), what I'm saying is 'why change that name?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Idk about yall, but my friends and I just call it the "medical city" Its a horrible name in general but its the nickname we gave it, and thats all I have to bring to the table, as far as name suggestions go.

I mean, thecnically you can name that area "Atlantic City" if you wanted too but im not sure if its really a "city", saying its just medical buildings.

15 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

What do all these new high-rises, apartments and the vast medical complex have to do with a  1794-1810  defensive fort authorized by George Washington?

Well, the area is already called Fort Norfolk. Its name has spread to the general area around it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Idk about yall, but my friends and I just call it the "medical city" Its a horrible name in general but its the nickname we gave it, and thats all I have to bring to the table, as far as name suggestions go.

I mean, thecnically you can name that area "Atlantic City" if you wanted too but im not sure if its really a "city", saying its just medical buildings.

Well, the area is already called Fort Norfolk. Its name has spread to the general area around it.

Haha, well it's a start anyway.  Medical City. As for Fort Norfolk, nobody I know down there calls the greater area beyond the Fort, itself, "Fort Norfolk."  

5 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

The area is currently known as Fort Norfolk (as shown here https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1632/Downtown_Norfolk_2030?bidId= ), what I'm saying is 'why change that name?'

Again, nobody I know refers to anything other than Fort Norfolk, itself, as "Fort Norfolk."  BTW, that same 2030 reference material to which you refer says that Fort Norfolk is becoming a "midtown."   

Edited by baobabs727

3 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

Haha, well it's a start anyway.  Medical City. As for Fort Norfolk, nobody I know down there calls the greater area beyond the Fort, itself, "Fort Norfolk."  

Again, nobody I know refers to anything other than Fort Norfolk, itself, as "Fort Norfolk."  BTW, that same reference material says Fort Norfolk is becoming a "midtown."   

The Tide stop right there is called the "EVMC/Fort Norfolk" stop. So I'd say that it's called "Fort Norfolk".  There's also a difference between calling an area a "midtown" and something name being "Midtown". Norfolk is designating an area bordered by Church, Monticello, and 25th as "Midtown" so I would wager that that area's name will be "Midtown"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctic_Tern said:

The Tide stop right there is called the "EVMC/Fort Norfolk" stop. So I'd say that it's called "Fort Norfolk".  There's also a difference between calling an area a "midtown" and something name being "Midtown". Norfolk is designating an area bordered by Church, Monticello, and 25th as "Midtown" so I would wager that that area's name will be "Midtown"

So the name of a Tide stop is now your standard? Alrighty then.  Just take note that "EVMC" (medical campus...) shares the title on that stop with the Fort.  It's "EVMC/Fort Norfolk." Not simply, "Fort Norfolk."  So, by your logic, the whole area should/could just as easily be called "EVMC," could it not? Or even "EVMC/Fort Norfolk." 

And btw, putting "Fort Norfolk" on the Tide stop was done expressly to boost visitation (tourism) to that historically significant Fort, not to somehow indicate that the entire area was to be referred to as "Fort Norfolk."  Meanwhile, EVMC was placed on Tide stop's name to get people to the Med School's Campus...you know...to increase ridership for the Tide. 

Finally, Norfolk can plan to call an area whatever it wants, but that doesn't mean that the name will make any sense to the public...or that the public will readily adopt the new nomenclature.  I doubt "Midtown" will stick for that other area. See, I already forgot where that is. Never going over there. Sorry.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1