Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Man, is that a cool Los Angeles stadium or what - ?! Wow. Sure hope our city councilpersons don't screw this MLS opportunity up.....

Edited by Flatrock
  • Like 3

From Colby Sledge's newsletter:

An attempt to strip the Fairgrounds from the MLS stadium agreement is on the agenda, but I do not expect it to pass, or perhaps even be offered. Earlier this week, the Metro Finance Director was unable to certify the funding for this legislation, indicating the lack of its feasibility

Does anyone know what he means by "or perhaps even be offered"?  I also don't understand what he means by the Metro Finance Director being unable to certify the funding for this legislation, but I am glad that the feasibility appears to be lacking.

http://colbysledge.nationbuilder.com/april27updates

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Apparently more people were against the stadium relocation to metro center than for it at Decosta Hastings meeting last night. 

I agree though, I want dirt moving. 

This is what I heard as well. There's not much support in council to side with Hastings/Glover from what I've heard. Apparently, Council has setup committees/small groups to start moving forward with this. I've heard there will be a planning meeting at the Fairgrounds next month to go over community benefits. Looking at a possible/hopeful final approval in August for building demolition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Glover/Hastings legislation will be voted on at next council meeting on May 15th. Please email your council members if you haven't already and tell them to please support The Fairgrounds location only. Thanks

If MLS in Nashville gets jacked up by a bunch of moronic twits, I may lose my faith in the city totally. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

Got a question; I'm in no way a soccer fan (never will be) so I know very little about how things work in that sport.  My question is there name Nashville Soccer Club or the Nissan's?

Nissan is the club sponsor.  Also, never say never! ;)

Oh I'll say never.  Why do their jerseys have "NISSAN" on them rather than the team name?  If Nissan wants to be the team sponsor it seems they could put signs up around the stadium, maybe a few cars out near the gates and ads on the jumbo-tron and ribbon screens but not a dang uniform.?.

Edited by L'burgnative

8 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

Oh I'll say never.  Why do their jerseys have "NISSAN" on them rather than the team name?  If Nissan wants to be the team sponsor it seems they could put signs up around the stadium, maybe a few cars out near the gates and ads on the jumbo-tron and ribbon screens but not a dang uniform.?.

Just the way soccer has always done it, even internationally. It’s the best advertising space there is, being the most watched game in the world. Hell, American sports would be wise to do the same, they’re throwing away millions, perhaps billions. It’s not like they’re too proud to make an extra buck, too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

You're being a bit facetious, right?

The club sponsor pays a hefty sponsorship for advertising their name at all times through out the game on each player.  The NBA initiated it this year, albeit smaller ad space; the NFL does it with their practice jerseys.  This will be more so the norm in the near future.  NASCAR has done this for decades.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

That's how soccer jerseys look.  Google "Premier League kits" and look at the pics.

1 hour ago, L'burgnative said:

Got a question; I'm in no way a soccer fan (never will be) so I know very little about how things work in that sport.  My question is there name Nashville Soccer Club or the Nissan's?

I get it.  I can't claim I have followed soccer too closely either, so I feel pretty new at it too.

Soccer is a little different, than what we normally see in football, baseball, basketball, and even hockey.  There really isn't a "team name" in soccer style, like we see with the Nashville Predators and Tennessee Titans.  Usually, in soccer, you will see the team referred to as a club with their home city or region attached in some form or fashion.  Typically you see FC for football club, or in this case, Nashville SC for soccer club.  The team may carry a nickname.  I think Nashville SC's is the "6 strings," which corresponds to a guitar 6-string setup.  Obviously, or not, for our Music City connection.  It is also represented on the club's crest, which is probably the most important signia in soccer. 

https://www.nashvillesc.com/news_article/show/783402-nashville-soccer-club-partners-with-nissan-

https://www.nashvillesc.com/ourclub

Side note: in our 1st game against MLS Atlanta United FC you see Nashville SC player Ropapa Mensah kiss the crest and point to the crest on his jersey after he scores Nashville's first ever goal.  You sometimes see soccer players do this after scoring a goal.  Somewhat of a soccer nuance or tradition.

Also, Atlanta United is called the five stripes, due to the, you got it, five stripes in their crest and uniform tops.

https://www.atlutd.com/club/about

Now back to your original question.  So the important crest or "logo" is worn on the upper left of the jersey.  The full uniform is also called a "kit."   In soccer, it is popular to have a "team" sponsor.  Not 100% of the reasons, but I assume it could do with not having many stoppages for "TV timeouts," where commercialization and "sponsorships" can reach an audience.  So with the team sponsor you will see them in a prominent spot on the front of the jersey, which to people not familiar with the sport, looks weird, and looks like the team name.

Some European hockey teams have sponsors all over their jerseys.

Why-The-NHL-Shouldnt-Place-Ads-On-Jersey

Noticed NBA jerseys started to put ad patches too.

ctrebcxitn2iwmowpr8h.jpg

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 2

I think the soccer jersey sponsorships partially came out of necessity, given the precious few TV advertising breaks in the game. Ultimately, there has to be a source of ad revenue for a TV broadcast to be financially viable and if they can't make their money through commercials, they are going to get it through other means (e.g. ads on jerseys) or just find more lucrative programming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I think the soccer jersey sponsorships partially came out of necessity, given the precious few TV advertising breaks in the game. Ultimately, there has to be a source of ad revenue for a TV broadcast to be financially viable and if they can't make their money through commercials, they are going to get it through other means (e.g. ads on jerseys) or just find more lucrative programming.

Precisely. Corporate sponsorship is much more intrusive in soccer (or rather has been until recently) because of the lack of time for ad breaks in broadcasts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Precisely. Corporate sponsorship is much more intrusive in soccer (or rather has been until recently) because of the lack of time for ad breaks in broadcasts. 

Exactly right. We will never see this in the NFL. The NFL is engineered to provide ample commercial breaks. You can squeeze in two rounds of commercials between a touchdown/XP, the kickoff, and the period after the kickoff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Exactly right. We will never see this in the NFL. The NFL is engineered to provide ample commercial breaks. You can squeeze in two rounds of commercials between a touchdown/XP, the kickoff, and the period after the kickoff.

It's already happening in the NFL.  See their practice jerseys; easy money revenue stream will eke itself into the regular season someday.

In a way you could say that the nfl already does advertising like that, with the Nike logos on the jerseys. The coaches are required to wear certain clothes, too, depending on whom the nfl has contracts with. Several years ago Jack del Rio and Mike Nolan (I think it was him) had whatever clothing company the nfl had deals with design them suits to wear on the sideline, so they could go with the old school look. I don’t think that continued, though. 

13 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

In a way you could say that the nfl already does advertising like that, with the Nike logos on the jerseys. The coaches are required to wear certain clothes, too, depending on whom the nfl has contracts with. Several years ago Jack del Rio and Mike Nolan (I think it was him) had whatever clothing company the nfl had deals with design them suits to wear on the sideline, so they could go with the old school look. I don’t think that continued, though. 

Reebok....the suits were Reebok and not trendsetting.

• Like 1