Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

15 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

In a way you could say that the nfl already does advertising like that, with the Nike logos on the jerseys. The coaches are required to wear certain clothes, too, depending on whom the nfl has contracts with. Several years ago Jack del Rio and Mike Nolan (I think it was him) had whatever clothing company the nfl had deals with design them suits to wear on the sideline, so they could go with the old school look. I don’t think that continued, though. 

Or got the Bill Belichick route,  just go to the pro shop and cut some sleeves off and you are good to go :tw_tounge_wink:

On 5/5/2018 at 8:05 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

Precisely. Corporate sponsorship is much more intrusive in soccer (or rather has been until recently) because of the lack of time for ad breaks in broadcasts. 

17 hours ago, nativetenn said:

I could see that happening for regular season games if NFL ratings continue to decline.

The US may take a piece of advice from our sporting partners that are not based in our country. Why are there even commercial breaks? Europe does not have them at all! Think about if the NFL did not have commercial breaks, and staggered the start times of games more, they could broadcast twice as many games per day, easily! Slows the entire game down, breaks flow and momentum and makes things quite boring. I was abroad during a the Super Bowl in 2011 and it's ridiculous watching a global event that stops every 5 minutes because the TV dictates the sport.

More discussion about plans at Fairgrounds:

The stadium is preliminary targeted to go on the fairgrounds' highest elevation west of the speedway. Initial renderings showed rebuilt expo facility and other fairgrounds facilities flanking the stadium to its north. 

But now, at the request of the fair board, project leaders are exploring putting the future expo center and other fairgrounds facilities downhill north of the auto-racing speedway, where a parking had originally been planned. 

"We've been taking a look at that, and it looks really promising from a number of standpoints," Womack said. "Operationally, it looks advantageous." 

Fairground/Soccer Stadium Meetings will be at Creative Arts Building at the Fairgrounds:

• Like 3

I just don't get all the hand wringing now, especially by the council people that voted in favor of it. What has changed so much??

It's my understanding that all the various committees that need to be formed to get this rolling have been formed, I swear I read that somewhere but now can't find the article, can anyone else confirm?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Ok but have they not read the MLS statements saying if it's not at the Fairgrounds then it's not?

Did they just originally vote for it to try to be on her good side?

Yeah I think so. I do believe if David Briley is indeed elected, it will be a big win for MLS2Nashville. 

38 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I don’t, I’m just annoyed with this process 

Is MLS ok with us playing our first 1-2 seasons in Nissan stadium?  I thought i heard on the radio that the new stadium at the fairgrounds won't be finished until 2021.  And with all this posturing going on with mayor candidates and council-people... the initial start seems like it could be delayed.

4 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. Hate to beat a dead horse, but i expected this kind of crap, post Barry-fall-from-grace.  People (councilpersons, mayoral candidates, other wanna be power brokers) looking for a platform, an edge - to separate themselves and be seen as a champion of whatever group/special interest group/cause they think will propel them to - or sustain them in - power. In other words, standard politics. I hate it.

200w(3).gif

I think most candidates would eventually fall in line on supporting the soccer stadium except Swain. I'd consider MLS dead if Swain somehow won.

• Like 2