Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

I worked in the War Memorial Bldg. in 1989. The Legislative offices were located there on the north side of the building while the committee rooms and lunchroom were located underneath the plaza. I'm referring to the north side of the building and the area underneath the plaza as a good spot for a military museum specifically a museum for Tennessee military history as there is quite a bit of it.

Sorry, should have said legislative offices instead of just legislature. Would have been clearer.

5 hours ago, Baronakim said:

There has been a military history musem there for decades and the legislature  meets in the Capitol building.  Always has since it was built in 1859.  The space you see was always used mostly for the symphany and small concert uses.  I assume the museum is still going to remain as it existed there while the State Musuem was in the basement of TPAC.  I don't know if it was moved into the new museum facility on Bicentennial Mall or not.

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

I worked in the War Memorial Bldg. in 1989. The Legislative offices were located there on the north side of the building while the committee rooms and lunchroom were located underneath the plaza. I'm referring to the north side of the building and the area underneath the plaza as a good spot for a military museum specifically a museum for Tennessee military history as there is quite a bit of it.

Sorry, should have said legislative offices instead of just legislature. Would have been clearer.

As I said, there is one there already.  here is a description:  The Military Branch Museum is temporarily closed for renovations to the War Memorial. A branch of the Tennessee State Museum, the Military Branch Museum is located in the historic War Memorial Building. Exhibitions explore America’s overseas conflicts, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898 and ending with Vietnam War. There is no admission charge to the Military Branch Museum’s permanent and temporary exhibitions. The Military Branch Museum is closed on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day and Easter. Location: 301 6th Ave. North, in downtown Nashville, inside the historic War Memorial Building on Legislative Plaza. The entrance is on the left side of the building near the Vietnam War Memorial. The handicap entrance is located off of Union Street on the south end of Legislative Plaza.

the-military-branch-museum.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Sunnyside Mansion at Sevier Park (2 stories, circa 1840) is nearly finished with major renovations/expansion for the home of the Nashville Historical Society.

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 1 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 2 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 3 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 4 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 5 x..jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 6 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 7 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 8 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 9 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 10 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 11 x.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 12 .jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 13 .jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 14 .jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 15 .jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 16.jpeg

Sevier Park, Sunnyside Mansion, June 8, 2024, 17.jpeg

The Historical Commission Foundation held an open house/fundraiser at Sunnyside last week and we got to tour the renovations.   It’s very well done and included a thorough archeological study of the buildings and grounds (MNPD even did a forensic analysis of civil war era bullet holes in the buildings).   The restored carriage house will serve as a restaurant (food and bev) for Sevier Park, which I think is a first  for any Metro park.  

Sunnyside has been home to the Metro Historical Commission since 2002.  

• Like 4

20 Academy Place covers 2,770 sq. ft. over its 2 floors and was built in 1910.  It will soon become home to Mona Italian Restaurant, who is relocating from their long-time spot next to the Arcade. Owner Aziz "A.J." Ashurov has also purchased the empty lot just to the north where he plans to build a mixed use structure of unknown size that will feature retail/restaurant and residential components.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/rutledge-hill-slated-for-italian-restaurant/article_96994976-2a68-11ef-8297-4751b4711d66.html

20 Academy Place, Mona Restaurant, June 14, 2024, 1 x.png

20 Academy Place, Mona Restaurant, June 14, 2024, 2 x.png

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, victory said:

I think this is my favorite topic thread on all of UP! So much fun seeing what folks with a little creativity (and a lot of money) can do to preserve interesting structures/spaces, and breathe new life into them. 

Hopefully when the Transit Plan passes, a lot of the buildings along the transit corridors will be rehabbed in this manner as well. In my travels to other cities, I have seen this as well and I think it is important to hold on to the past while incorporating the new buildings with the old. 

• Like 3