Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

200 2nd Ave South, Nashville City Club, Jan, 2024, 1 x.png

This image really screwed me up haha! The 222 Building that wraps around this one is shown as a surface lot and then what I believe used to be the Market Street Lofts (or some other apartment name) is shown where the Four Seasons is now standing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville Post interview with Tony Giarratana and Randy Rayburn about their plans to renivent the Gold Rush restaurant/bar/pool hall on Elliston Place:

How will the future building offer the "look and feel" of the former Gold Rush space? Like the previous iteration, will the space offer exposed  brick walls and paneling? Will it offer more than one bar? I understand you have salvaged and stored lots of the items of the business.

Tony: The goal would be to retain all the grit and glory of the original space.

Randy: Everything that can be re-created will be re-created. This is the same approach we took with Elliston Place Soda Shop (read here). It will be very similar with new infrastructure, floor plans and clean bathrooms.

In the evening, the Gold Rush will be — like the original version that opened in 1974 — dimly lit. It will offer the original chandelier that was in the Ritz Café and that occupied the space before the Gold Rush (and that was in the main room of the former space and to the left of the entrance).

The former Gold Rush has two bars on its main level. Will the future Gold Rush have two bars and, if so, will they be similar in size and configuration to the originals? Will the future space, like the original, be "quirky" in its layout?

Randy: Yes. There will be two bars and they will mimic the original bars as closely as possible.

Tony: I would love to have rollup doors that would open the space to the sidewalk. Metro Codes won't permit us to retain the old lumpy floors that changed elevation as you walk through the space. It’s not a bad thing to fix that.

What about the menu?

Tony: The menu will be in the hands of Randy and Craig Clifft, Randy’s protege since 1987 and general manner of the Elliston Place Soda Shop. Gold Rush was essentially Nashville's first Tex-Mex restaurant. And with Randy’s help from his friends who worked there, it will bring back the famous bean roll with chips, salsa and more. We can foresee patrons of Exit-In coming pre-show and post shows as well as other Rock Block businesses and venues. Gold Rush will be rebooted as another iconic star of Rock Block’s revival.

Will you seek any past employees to work at the future Gold Rush?

Randy: I know a few including Buster Depue, who was kitchen manager for many years until it closed. And we are in touch.

Will patrons be allowed to write names, phrases, etc. on the walls of the bathrooms? Could you even have a payphone (as with the original space) as a visual?

Randy: There will be opportunity for that activity but the bathrooms will start with a clean look. As to a payphone, I’m sure we can find one but realize it won’t be functional.

We will probably try to replicate the Nashville sign — from the Robert Altman film — in the small bar room and found in the doorway.

Will you need to acquire the naming rights from the previous owners?

Tony: Yes. We have acquired a trademark on the name. We did the same for Elliston Place Soda Shop.

What about critics who will contend that you are “manufacturing” a place as opposed to letting it grow organically? Some folks feel this might be disrespectful to Walter Harwood and Keith Josse, the founders and owners.

Randy:  We will make every good faith effort to recreate the sound and feel of the original Gold Rush. But to those who say ‘It can’t be done,’ would they rather see it be gone forever and not available to a new generation? I’ll never be in my 20s again. But I enjoy the memories of talking with my peers with whom I’ve spoken in the last two weeks and from when Gold Rush opened in 1974.

I knew Walter and Keith and have talked to several employees in the last two weeks — and throughout the years — who look forward to seeing what we are able to recreate.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/q-a-giarratana-rayburn-discuss-gold-rush-plan/article_73b0d144-cd12-11ee-b501-03cde1a433c3.html

• Like 3

128 2nd Ave. North (4 stories, 42,520 sq. ft. circa 1900) will see the AVA Rooftop Bar open on tomorrow (March 8).

The rooftop bar is the latest step in a string of phases to revitalize Second Avenue's historic Hooper building, which was formerly home to the George Jones museum. Real estate development company, The Cordish Companies, announced their renovation plans in June of 2023 to turn the building into a massive, 50,000-square-foot, multi-level dining and entertainment experience called Nashville Live!

Nashville Live! spans vertically across five level and features a different concept on each floor. The venue is home to DraftKings Sports & Social, PBR Cowboy Bar, a speakeasy bar and a 10,000-square-foot private event space called The Gallery.

AVA Rooftop Bar is a Mediterranean-inspired space which will feature a small plate menu to match. The space will also include lush greenery, expansive lounge-style seating and a 25-foot tree at its centerpiece.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2024/03/07/nashville-live-opens-new-rooftop-bar-on-second-avenue-what-to-know/72852878007/

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 8.27.38 AM.png

• Like 2