Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

An East African food truck is creating a brick and mortar takeout location in Creston. I've never heard of this food truck before but I look forward to giving their physical location a visit.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/food-drink/food-truck-operator-street-chef-shaw-plans-bricks-and-mortar-creston-restaurant/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zads said:

An East African food truck is creating a brick and mortar takeout location in Creston. I've never heard of this food truck before but I look forward to giving their physical location a visit.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/food-drink/food-truck-operator-street-chef-shaw-plans-bricks-and-mortar-creston-restaurant/

Shaw is a fantastic chef and person, couldn't be happier that this is opening up nearby! The Creston Heights district is about to explode as far as things to do, places to hang out, and people to see.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Zads said:

He used to serve at City Built Brewery on Mondays when their kitchen was closed. I had his food at an event at Canal Park once and it was very good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StreetcarGR said:

Shaw is a fantastic chef and person, couldn't be happier that this is opening up nearby! The Creston Heights district is about to explode as far as things to do, places to hang out, and people to see.

I love that they have roots in the Creston neighborhood. 

only bummer is that it’s take out only but I imagine you could probably eat it nextdoor at Quinn and Tuites?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zads said:

Wahlburgers replacement is a Social Misfits branded pizza joint. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/social-misfits-sibling-to-replace-wahlburgers-in-downtown-gr/

That is great news. Social Misfits is one of our go-to downtown spots. Excited to see their take on a pizza joint. 

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, Zads said:

Kind of funny, I was just there Sunday and asked what was going on.. next thing you know, it's on the news.

It's such a cool space. I wish it had a better location, but man. It's worth a drive.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Kind of funny, I was just there Sunday and asked what was going on.. next thing you know, it's on the news.

It's such a cool space. I wish it had a better location, but man. It's worth a drive.

I agree it's such a cool space with a bad location.  I've been finding it hard to journey out there when there's one on the Westside. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The HPC will be reviewing a plan for 70 Ionia (used to be Grid 70, now overflow building for Acrisure). Rockford construction is preposing removing the blue metal awnings and replacing two of the windows with overheard doors for indoor/outdoor dining. So it looks like another restaurant on that block coming soon. If approved, it looks like construction is planned for early next year and finished by July.

Joe

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Zads said:

Also, they've added 'blended wine' as an option for the non-beer drinkers out there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 11:52 AM, joeDowntown said:

The HPC will be reviewing a plan for 70 Ionia (used to be Grid 70, now overflow building for Acrisure). Rockford construction is preposing removing the blue metal awnings and replacing two of the windows with overheard doors for indoor/outdoor dining. So it looks like another restaurant on that block coming soon. If approved, it looks like construction is planned for early next year and finished by July.

Joe

Here's our answer, a mini golf bar!

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/mini-golf-bar-coming-to-downtown-grand-rapids/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Ok, I'm PUMPED for this.

Same. These kinds of places are a no brainer for GR. We have a young, active population itching for things to do, but a good portion of the year we have pretty crappy weather. Between the duckpin bowling, the bocce place, and now this, we will have some fun alternatives to traditional bars during the winter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

Same. These kinds of places are a no brainer for GR. We have a young, active population itching for things to do, but a good portion of the year we have pretty crappy weather. Between the duckpin bowling, the bocce place, and now this, we will have some fun alternatives to traditional bars during the winter.

That's awesome! And going into the old Grid 70 restaurant space (what was that place called, Churchhills? Lasted a hot second before it turned into the Meijer kitchen). That'll add a lot a vibrancy and a great new option downtown. There's also the golf simulator bar going in on Ottawa (old Davenport building, where the ArtPrize elephant mural is located). Some pretty entertaining options coming...

Joe

59 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

That's awesome! And going into the old Grid 70 restaurant space (what was that place called, Churchhills? Lasted a hot second before it turned into the Meijer kitchen). That'll add a lot a vibrancy and a great new option downtown. There's also the golf simulator bar going in on Ottawa (old Davenport building, where the ArtPrize elephant mural is located). Some pretty entertaining options coming...

Joe

Is that simulator confirmed? I saw that rumor and believe it, but hadn't seen it confirmed. 

I'm happy for that, but sad the building won't be removed for a much larger project like I've been hoping for.

1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Is that simulator confirmed? I saw that rumor and believe it, but hadn't seen it confirmed. 

I'm happy for that, but sad the building won't be removed for a much larger project like I've been hoping for.

a little insider info on that one. It hasn't been announced yet but got it from a credible source.

Joe