Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

4 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

I'm hearing something about a west African restaurant?? anyone have info on this? Pretty sure that'd be a first for the area? I can't get Jollof rice or fufu anywhere AFAIK!

3818 South Division.  Haven't been there yet.  Looks like they've got Jollof rice for you

facebook: MotherLand Food (w Jollof rice)  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Zads said:

I'm excited for this!  This corridor is going to look completely different in a few years.... we have the 10 story building on the river, Victory lofts, the architectural firm, new DeVries Jewelers building and the Genesis project.  There are also a ton of future opportunity sites in the area

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Looks like a wine and coffee bar named "Chateau Grand Rapids" is going before the planning commission. It's in the old CBD shop at 955 Wealthy (next to the Less Traveled/Long Road Distillery location).

Joe

955 Cherry? I saw some activity in that building recently, that should be a good addition to that strip.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Looks like a wine and coffee bar named "Chateau Grand Rapids" is going before the planning commission. It's in the old CBD shop at 955 Cherry (next to the Less Traveled/Long Road Distillery location).

Joe

Nice location! Always wondered when Cherry St. would get a coffee place. Will fit right in.

On an opposite note, Danzon Cubano Restaurant at 1 Carlton Ave SE is now permanently closed. Such a shame as it looked like such a nice place, although reviews were not that great.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Scholar is set to open in the former J. Gardella's space on Ionia sometime in October. I'm intrigued by the ambiance of this restaurant. It looks like it has casual vibes but also maybe more upscale dining as well.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/elevated-cozy-library-restaurant-opening-in-gardellas-building/

• Like 4

On 9/26/2023 at 5:04 PM, joeDowntown said:

Looks like a wine and coffee bar named "Chateau Grand Rapids" is going before the planning commission. It's in the old CBD shop at 955 Cherry (next to the Less Traveled/Long Road Distillery location).

Joe

And here's the piece in Crain's. As a former resident of East Hills, I'm glad to see the space filled again and for a coffee shop to fit on Cherry St. I hope they do well.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/couple-plans-upscale-coffee-wine-bar-concept-in-grand-rapids-east-hills-neighborhood/

• Like 1

We have a Caribbean restaurant now open in the former Malamiah Juice Bar that was in Studio Park. Seems they already had a location in Rivertown Mall and are looking to expand into a fast food drive thru place as well. Prices seem to be pretty fair on their ToastTab order website.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/the-caribbean-bite-expands-with-new-downtown-grand-rapids-location/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Rumor has it Slows at the Market is closing for good Sunday.

I'm trying to find a credible source for this  but that's the word on Reddit right now.

MLive has the story. Never recovered Post-COVID, is what they say.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/10/slows-bar-b-q-to-close-grand-rapids-location-at-downtown-market.html

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the subjective nature of people's tastes I would be inclined to start a 'restaurants to avoid' thread.  It's like these closures are a revelation after the fact.  Of course that's not the nature of UP, it's against the unwritten code here.  Personally,  owning a restaurant would test my sanity.   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, arcturus said:

If it wasn't for the subjective nature of people's tastes I would be inclined to start a 'restaurants to avoid' thread.  It's like these closures are a revelation after the fact.  Of course that's not the nature of UP, it's against the unwritten code here.  Personally,  owning a restaurant would test my sanity.   

I feel like a bad experience or if a place treats their staff poorly is a valid post subject to avoid a place 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, arcturus said:

If it's a local business, I try to keep my negative opinions to myself. Maybe I'm too empathetic, but one review from one customer's bad experience can really hurt a business. But I do think some restaurants here get away with charging top dollar for sub-par food. 

• Like 4

I feel like Slows went downhill after their departure from counter service. I just didn't ever see the passion there and I feel like BBQ is a labor of love and passion as it's easy to screw up. 

Parts of the market seem incredibly successful and others don't. Not sure the formula used by Fish Lads, Aperitivo, Rak Thai and Field and Fire but they always seem to do well when I'm at the market. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...