Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

2 hours ago, Zads said:

What????

Oh for crying out loud.... Has it been a whopping 2 years? I mean BK has been here for like 30+!

Ok, put in a Long John Silvers, and I'll keep the place open on my own!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

They teased GR with a Shake Shack in the Woodland expansion

They owe GR a Shake Shack

Give GR Shake Shack

I once tagged Shake Shack in a tweet demanding they come to GR and they responded with "we might have something cooking there soon"

That was like 4 years ago, but Shake Shack is light years better. Probably.

I'd Kill for Buddy's Pizza there like they have near Comerica.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

What????

Oh for crying out loud.... Has it been a whopping 2 years? I mean BK has been here for like 30+!

Ok, put in a Long John Silvers, and I'll keep the place open on my own!

All of the other Wahlburgers closed in Michigan. I think GR was the last.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:32 PM, RiversideGR said:

I was torn on posting  on this thread or the "downtown exodus" thread, but there is an application in with the city to open a bar/restaurant in at 59 Commerce Ave, which I believe is this space directly adjacent to Stellas. Would be cool to see that block fill in!

image.png.50037ee61a8392926a0399b1afae1508.png

Here's the scoop from Crain's

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/former-hopcat-owner-sells-downtown-grand-rapids-property-to-another-restaurateur/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mlive says the family that's owned and operated the Rainbow Grill in Grandville since 1954 has sold it to Restaurant Partners Management, LLC., aka 4grfood, an outfit that owns and runs fifteen restaurants in Michigan, mostly around Grand Rapids.

Two things in the article surprised me:

1) I didn't know there was a second Rainbow Grill in Hudsonville.  The family is going to continue to run that one. 

2) I'd never heard of Restaurant Partners Management and had no idea what restaurants around town they owned.   But that's what Google is for so I looked it up.  I guess I do know who they are, I just didn't know their name.  The ambiance and culture of their other restaurants for the most part are  nothing like the Grandville Rainbow Grill.  It will be interesting to see how that works out:  

Here's the story:

MLIVE: restaurant group acquires family owned Grandville Rainbow Grill location

Here's my search of the restaurant group listing their brands- you will recognize them:

4gr8food - our-brands

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, walker said:

Mlive says the family that's owned and operated the Rainbow Grill in Grandville since 1954 has sold it to Restaurant Partners Management, LLC., aka 4grfood, an outfit that owns and runs fifteen restaurants in Michigan, mostly around Grand Rapids.

Two things in the article surprised me:

1) I didn't know there was a second Rainbow Grill in Hudsonville.  The family is going to continue to run that one. 

2) I'd never heard of Restaurant Partners Management and had know idea what restaurants around town they owned.   But that's what Google is for so I looked it up.  I guess I do know who they are, I just didn't know their name.  The ambiance and culture of their other restaurants for the most part are  nothing like the Grandville Rainbow Grill.  It will be interesting to see how that works out:  

Here's the story:

MLIVE: restaurant group acquires family owned Grandville Rainbow Grill location

Here's my search of the restaurant group listing their brands- you will recognize them:

4gr8food - our-brands

Yeah, they’ve been around a long time and are good at picking up local favorites.  I think Omelette Shop started in Traverse and they brought it to GR. 

• Like 1

A fast-casual Mediterranean chain called Pita Way is coming to the Knapps Corner area with another location in Wyoming. Although it is a chain, I'm always happy to see another healthy casual option. 

Looks like they have quite a few locations across the state already. Anyone tried this place and know if it's any good?

Order Mediterranean Food Online - Pita Way | Fresh Foods Near Me in MI

2 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

A fast-casual Mediterranean chain called Pita Way is coming to the Knapps Corner area with another location in Wyoming. Although it is a chain, I'm always happy to see another healthy casual option. 

Looks like they have quite a few locations across the state already. Anyone tried this place and know if it's any good?

Order Mediterranean Food Online - Pita Way | Fresh Foods Near Me in MI

I've been to the one in New Hudson, it was great. Happy to see a few coming over here.

• Like 1

@walker

4gr8food did a summer promotion a few years ago where you git a stamp for each one of their restaurants you visited. Rewards were gift cards amd coupons, and if I recall a TV for a grand prize. 

That's how I learned about all the different brands they own between GR and Traverse City. It's a lot.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just last month Zads posted about this new Chicago Italian Beef restaurant:

On 7/7/2023 at 8:12 AM, Zads said:

And now WOODTV tells us about this other new Chicago Italian Beef restaurant in Eastown:

WOODTV: Jack Dangers Chicago Style Italian Beef Spot Opening on Wealthy Street

Edited by walker
cleaned up link

On 8/16/2023 at 10:00 PM, joeDowntown said:

Yeah, they’ve been around a long time and are good at picking up local favorites.  I think Omelette Shop started in Traverse and they brought it to GR. 

Seems there's quite a few which think whatever this company touches goes downhill. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/grandrapids/comments/16376yr/worst_restaurants_in_town/jy1wl0f/

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, walker said:

Just last month Zads posted about this new Chicago Italian Beef restaurant:

And now WOODTV tells us about this other new Chicago Italian Beef restaurant in Eastown:

WOODTV: Jack Dangers Chicago Style Italian Beef Spot Opening on Wealthy Street

I'm curious if the popularity of the TV show "The Bear" has anything to do with it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

I'm curious if the popularity of the TV show "The Bear" has anything to do with it. 

I do think there are a lot of Chicago transplants in Michigan (in fact, 75% of the people I meet that move here come from Chicago (even if they originally lived elsewhere). A little taste of home? I say we build a high speed connection to Chicago and become part of the Chicagoland area. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I do think there are a lot of Chicago transplants in Michigan (in fact, 75% of the people I meet that move here come from Chicago (even if they originally lived elsewhere). A little taste of home? I say we build a high speed connection to Chicago and become part of the Chicagoland area. :)

As someone who runs a sports bar, there is an awfully lot of Bears fans around lately! 🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:35 AM, joeDowntown said:

Net inflow the past two months was 735, second only to Detroit with 1,042.  People from larger cities are (still) increasingly moving here.... DC, SF, Denver, LA and Boston are all in the top 10

Edited by Jonesey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

More details about the new bar coming to Commerce. Called The Firebird, will serve food until 2:30am and have a takeout window:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/09/new-restaurant-firebird-bar-gr-planned-for-downtown-grand-rapids.html

This should thrill the folks at 38 Commerce across the street who've been complaining for years about late night noise if approved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

More details about the new bar coming to Commerce. Called The Firebird, will serve food until 2:30am and have a takeout window:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/09/new-restaurant-firebird-bar-gr-planned-for-downtown-grand-rapids.html

love the emphasis on late-night food options. we are really lacking in that department!

• Like 1