Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

On 4/26/2023 at 11:43 AM, Pattmost20 said:

New commercial kitchen and small business incubator looking to open in June.

This is my buddy Wes's company, Tiny Dinners. I know in talking with him that they've been looking at commercial spaces for a while, I'm excited to see it moving forward. I've been to a number of his pop up dinners, they are always fantastic. I'm glad to see they'll have a dedicated space. 

Just an update, they officially have keys to their new space at 1003 Lake Dr SE. They are working on renovations and should be done within a few weeks. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zads said:

New concept and new name and menu  but apparently the same owner and building as the Sandy Point Beach House:

1920838192_SandyPointBeachHouse.png.d126726ddf265e01c208a12e8a04a435.png

1011503896_ChicagoBeefJoint.png.92e363a70c5a71cab1d9498a0ada0b98.png

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I was torn on posting  on this thread or the "downtown exodus" thread, but there is an application in with the city to open a bar/restaurant in at 59 Commerce Ave, which I believe is this space directly adjacent to Stellas. Would be cool to see that block fill in!

image.png.50037ee61a8392926a0399b1afae1508.png

Ahh no worries, I just posted it on there before seeing this haha

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I was torn on posting  on this thread or the "downtown exodus" thread, but there is an application in with the city to open a bar/restaurant in at 59 Commerce Ave, which I believe is this space directly adjacent to Stellas. Would be cool to see that block fill in!

image.png.50037ee61a8392926a0399b1afae1508.png

Last I knew that location was still owned by Project Barfly, it’s where Mark Sellars originally wanted to open the Shrunken Head back in 2015. When I left the company in 2017 it was being used for storage and maintenance for the rest of Barfly. Curious to see if when Sellars sold Barfly that parcel was part of the sale.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Last I knew that location was still owned by Project Barfly, it’s where Mark Sellars originally wanted to open the Shrunken Head back in 2015. When I left the company in 2017 it was being used for storage and maintenance for the rest of Barfly. Curious to see if when Sellars sold Barfly that parcel was part of the sale.

There was an article a few weeks back that talked about Barfly being back in black, and starting to expand Hopcat locations (back in Royal Oak, new Livonia location plus more planned out of state). Wonder if they'll try to develop a new restaurant concept in this space?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

There was an article a few weeks back that talked about Barfly being back in black, and starting to expand Hopcat locations (back in Royal Oak, new Livonia location plus more planned out of state). Wonder if they'll try to develop a new restaurant concept in this space?

The name on the application is Tad Feutz. I googled him and this article says he is a co-owner of The Win Tavern in Jennison...

The Win Tavern is known for its burgers, but loved because it takes care of those in need - mlive.com

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Full disclosure, I had never eaten at Wahlburgers. So I'm sharing anecdotal stories. But everyone I know that had eaten there came away very dissatisfied. The food was not good and expensive. It's not a surprise they're closing from everything I've heard.

I never ate there either. Seems weird to go to a chain for a burger when there are plenty of local places that probably do it just as good or better. 

I ate there once, and thought it was actually pretty decent (for that style of restaurant). Whenever I drive by, they have decent traffic. Sounds like Wahlburgers in general is not doing well (having closed both Detroit locations a few months back). 

I'm excited to see what they put there as well. It's a good location, so don't think they'll have too many problems if they have a good concept and good management team.

Joe