Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

4 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Well, the Foolery is getting roasted online. Apparently their prices are absurd (24 bucks for a personal pizza) and people say the place just tries too hard. 

I haven't been, but I saw their cocktail list online and the prices were very reasonable. Can't speak to their food prices, but I'm checking it out on Friday. 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Well, the Foolery is getting roasted online. Apparently their prices are absurd (24 bucks for a personal pizza) and people say the place just tries too hard. 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:54 PM, Pattmost20 said:

I haven't been, but I saw their cocktail list online and the prices were very reasonable. Can't speak to their food prices, but I'm checking it out on Friday. 

I haven't been there yet so I cant give a review of the quality.  But looking at their menu, the pizza prices don't look out-of-line for a downtown restaurant in this post-covid era.  I think what might have triggered the comments was billing themselves as a dive bar when their prices are not dive bar prices.

Here's their menu:

Foolery menu

For comparison - here's  the menu of nearby Big O's :

BIG O's pizza menu 

EDIT: when I go I'm thinking about maybe ordering Pasty #2 or Pasty #3.  My father was a Yooper, need to get back to my roots.

Edited by walker

10 hours ago, walker said:

I haven't been there yet so I cant give a review of the quality.  But looking at their menu, the pizzas prices don't look out-of-line for a downtown restaurant in this post-covid era.  I think what might have triggered the comments was billing themselves as a dive bar when their prices are not dive bar prices.

Here's their menu:

Foolery menu

For comparison - here's  the menu of nearby Big O's :

BIG O's pizza menu 

EDIT: when I go I'm thinking about maybe ordering Pasty #2 or Pasty #3.  My father was a Yooper, need to get back to my roots.

Agreed. Also, they just had their grand opening (yesterday, the day before at 4pm). Have to give them a little bit of time before we call it. From what I can tell, it looks like they used a lot of decor from Wahlburgers? Maybe they're still tweaking the interior a bit.

Joe

Could it be that people are taking the "vibe" they portray a bit too literally? An actual dive bar is something you would find on the W. Side, not in an almost brand new building in the heart of DT. And people looking for one of those places I dont think actually wants to be in the real deal anyway! This is obviously not a place to go grab a cheap pizza like Dominos. You meet up there with friends, after leaving your office job, as a destination to share that small pizza and have some light drinks. Or it is the place you go before you go to a concert and expect to pay a bit more for a light meal.

• Like 1

Just tried out The Foolery last night. My wife and I split a Pasty and one of the $20 pizzas, and that was plenty of food. The food was great and the cocktails were excellent too. We had the Margherita style pizza, a lot of the other options had meat and probably would have been even more filling. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Just tried out The Foolery last night. My wife and I split a Pasty and one of the $20 pizzas, and that was plenty of food. The food was great and the cocktails were excellent too. We had the Margherita style pizza, a lot of the other options had meat and probably would have been even more filling. 

Good to hear. Perhaps the peeps at Reddit jumped the gun, and I did by regurgitating it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Food truck Street Chef Shaw ("African Inspired Street Food with a Twist") is opening a brick and mortar called Mizizi in the old Rinaldi's space next to Quinn and Tuites in Creston. The grand opening is set for this Friday. I haven't tried the food yet, but i've heard good things about the truck...

Food truck Street Chef Shaw plans Creston restaurant | Crain's Grand Rapids Business (crainsgrandrapids.com)

416102933_850117130455861_872615074301683886_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=d8d9c5&_nc_ohc=J49TkrMJQOAAX_W2aIc&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfD2tT48lu7k09sWaCyqBTK7JNlcdMvBa_3ot_8dQf8NWA&oe=659AE8AB

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

Food truck Street Chef Shaw ("African Inspired Street Food with a Twist") is opening a brick and mortar called Mizizi in the old Rinaldi's space next to Quinn and Tuites in Creston. The grand opening is set for this Friday. I haven't tried the food yet, but i've heard good things about the truck...

Food truck Street Chef Shaw plans Creston restaurant | Crain's Grand Rapids Business (crainsgrandrapids.com)

416102933_850117130455861_872615074301683886_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=d8d9c5&_nc_ohc=J49TkrMJQOAAX_W2aIc&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfD2tT48lu7k09sWaCyqBTK7JNlcdMvBa_3ot_8dQf8NWA&oe=659AE8AB

Can confirm, the food was delicious! Congrats to them for making the jump to brick and mortar space. 

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Broadleaf Westside announced today that they’re closing, last day will be January 13th.

That sucks. I thought the beer cafe concept was perfect for the west side. Seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that they talked about going all in on that. 

On 1/6/2024 at 5:27 PM, joeDowntown said:

That sucks. I thought the beer cafe concept was perfect for the west side. Seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that they talked about going all in on that. 

It is a huge bummer. We love their food and beer, but it was always pretty dead there whenever we went. At least it'll still be available in Kentwood. 

Hopefully something cool goes in that space. I always thought it was one of the best outdoor areas in GR.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 3:02 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Broadleaf Westside announced today that they’re closing, last day will be January 13th.

While I'm bummed to lose this gem on the Westside, at least it's still available out on 29th Street. I was wondering if things weren't going so well when they stopped being open on Sundays. Weekends were always fairly busy but weekdays were slow. 

On 1/6/2024 at 5:27 PM, joeDowntown said:

Seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that they talked about going all in on that. 

Yeah, this article just before Christmas was talking about the arcade concept they had added. it seemed very optimistic about the future....I wonder what changed?

‘Underground Arcade’ takes shape at Grand Rapids brewery - mlive.com

• Like 1

GR has got to learn that if you want these places to remain in a central location, you have to support them, or else they will leave and park themselves out on some cheap suburban strip.

These places may love to wrap themselves in the "hip urban vibe", but if they cant make money, they arent going to remain to just be background scenery while paying high rents and taxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

GR has got to learn that if you want these places to remain in a central location, you have to support them, or else they will leave and park themselves out on some cheap suburban strip.

These places may love to wrap themselves in the "hip urban vibe", but if they cant make money, they arent going to remain to just be background scenery while paying high rents and taxes.

I agree, but I find it odd that Broadleaf appears to be succeeding in a random suburban location (and not even a high-visibility one!) but couldn't succeed on GR's trendiest nightlife corridor. 

• Like 2