The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Yes, 100%. West End was chosen BRT route for The AMP and politics killed it entirely. Have BRT be successful on the selected routes and then add to West End later, IMO. 

Also, am I the only one who's having trouble deciphering the different greens?? Couldn't they have done different colors than different shades of colors?  

image.png.5b7445b540f4304a2e0d5f5c1f1e6170.png

They had no choice...

Green = Environmentally Favorable

• Haha 1

Fair. A caveat to that is an income tax doesn't really impact people's day-to-day life per say. It is money out of their paycheck for sure, but they don't feel it at every single transaction they make. While numbers are one thing, the perception is a whole other story.

Again, only kinda pushing back on the use of sales tax, while also pointing to the challenges that we will have to overcome. Sales tax seems like the lightest lift for funding, but is it truly the right lift?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

While it isn't a large hike or massive day-to-day change and I can certainly afford it. To many folks, every dollar does count and while it is easy to say "that's less than a Starbucks run" that Starbucks run may be a person's weekly self-reward. The campaign is going to have their work cut out for them selling everyone on utilizing sales tax for the system rather than some of the other revenue streams available.

I think similar to the perception that "the bus" brings, having the highest combined sales tax in the country is a dubious title to have. Especially if the Downtown tax is over 10% as I asked about earlier. 

image.png.5f44db6334f46104387f4a73b7266b3a.png

I did ask my CM about tying the 0.5% increase to transit so that it isn't vulnerable down the road and he was unsure. He did mention that to get bond financing we need to have some form of dedicated time tied to the revenue stream, but couldn't say if the 0.5% was dedicated to transit indefinitely.

Will downtown be over 10%? Right now Davidson County is 2.25% so it'll be maxed out to 2.75%, and combined with the State makes it 9.75%.

And by applying it to a sales tax, it spreads it out amongst everyone who purchases goods and services , including those who are visiting and using the services. Rather then a tax or revenue from just the residents of the city, ie: property taxes or wheel taxes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lmc123 said:

Will downtown be over 10%? Right now Davidson County is 2.25% so it'll be maxed out to 2.75%, and combined with the State makes it 9.75%.

That is why I asked, I am not sure how it will work with Downtown already being at 9.75%. The Downtown District has an additional tax (maybe it is considered a "fee"?) that already bumps it up above the state and local sales tax. Here are two link references - Reference 1 & Reference 2 & Reference 3

So if it is just considered a "fee" does that essentially mean the sales tax when the CBID fee is included will be at 10.25%?

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

And by applying it to a sales tax, it spreads it out amongst everyone who purchases goods and services , including those who are visiting and using the services. Rather then a tax or revenue from just the residents of the city, ie: property taxes or wheel taxes. 

Again, the perception of the highest sales tax in the country is a dubious title to have. Also, by tagging it on to sales tax, we are saying those most vulnerable in our communities (who are most reliant on a transit system) are paying the biggest difference because they are the ones who will feel the biggest impacts. Why wouldn't we work to have a wheel tax on rental cars, ride share apps (think about cars AND scooters) and parking tax? Then you are creating a revenue stream that will generate constant money while also not impacting those who have the tightest means in our communities. 

Transit is a social program, why wouldn't we heavily weigh the social implications of each aspect to it?

• Like 3

Respectfully, those that you’re suggesting will feel the biggest impact are also the ones most likely to benefit most from an improved transit system. And when broken down, an average 10 dollars per month shouldn’t break anyone. Let’s be somewhat realistic about this, Nashville is still relatively a affordable large metro and if this  small tax increase would cause you to break your bank or cause that much harm , then maybe this isn’t the best place for you

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think State law caps it at 9.75% with the local option.

Thanks. So if that is the case, are we not collecting any additional sales tax from within the CBID with this increase? Or if the extras 0.5% collected is a "fee" instead of a tax, does that mean our CBID is collecting over 10% on every purchase. Seems weird that we would eliminate 0.5% revenue in Downtown (of all places).