The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

20 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

What’s more important for light rail, density or population?

It seems like density would be the most important because light rail is ridiculously expensive to build and the cost of setting up many miles of track to distant suburbs with low populations would never make any economic sense.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

It seems like density would be the most important because light rail is ridiculously expensive to build and the cost of setting up many miles of track to distant suburbs with low populations would never make any economic sense.  

Well we’ve established public transportation makes little economic sense for the cities. But it seems for the benefits it would bring the resident of those distant suburbs it sure would.

I think this is the video I’m thinking about, can’t watch it now to verify. This city seems to be doing it great, at a similar density, with a smaller population. 

• Like 3

Does anybody know the other five tax increase options beyond sales tax? IIRC the sales tax increase was one of the big attack points of the last referendum (anyone else remember "No Tax for Tracks"?) and it had two separate increases that went up to 10% (?) total?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Does anybody know the other five tax increase options beyond sales tax? IIRC the sales tax increase was one of the big attack points of the last referendum (anyone else remember "No Tax for Tracks"?) and it had two separate increases that went up to 10% (?) total?

I’m wondering the same. Maybe impact fees for business, gas tax, property tax. Maybe they could hit on the corporate tax. I think I’d prefer sales tax as the way to generate $$ for transit, maybe the gas tax also.

• Like 3

• The IMPROVE Act proposes boosting transportation funding in FY 2017-2018 and beyond by increasing the revenue sources for the Highway Fund. These revenue sources include taxes and fees on gas, diesel, motor vehicle registrations, electric cars, and rental vehicles.
  • The IMPROVE Act pairs Highway Fund revenue increases with reductions to revenue sources for the General Fund – which funds nearly all the non-transportation activities of the state. The impacted revenue sources include the sales tax on groceries, the franchise and excise taxes on manufacturers, and the Hall Income Tax on investment income. Most of these Highway and General Fund taxes are also shared with cities and counties.

https://www.sycamoreinstitutetn.org/2017-tennessee-budget-proposal/

Perhaps these, they all seem Highway Fund related. 

• Thanks 1

What about a building impact fee? 

I know that could be a little unpopular with developers, however that is one of the things that is driving traffic.  The farther out in the county the project is from the core the higher the fee is. I know the folks in Antioch do not want any more development and you could actually do this by district as well, by adding a district wide impact fee to slow down development in certain areas of Metro while encouraging growth in others.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

What about a building impact fee? 

I know that could be a little unpopular with developers, however that is one of the things that is driving traffic.  The farther out in the county the project is from the core the higher the fee is. I know the folks in Antioch do not want any more development and you could actually do this by district as well, by adding a district wide impact fee to slow down development in certain areas of Metro while encouraging growth in others.

The impact fees are certainly a good avenue - if we can get them through the legislature. The recent TACIR report hit upon those I believe and it basically said, if you have them already, you can keep them. Beyond that though I didn’t/don’t think they are possible. 

also impact fees should be higher closer to the core based on the overall impact any developments causes. Construction, service, presumed parking, traffic, etc. the further out you go, presumably the cheaper everything g would be because you may not have the same services etc. By “core” it could also be the UZO or the Urban Services District.  

Ashland City had an impact fee for years. The state did not make them drop it though. It was the fact that no one was building much of anything there and they finally came to realize that. I think it was 5000 dollars per home.

I think the only state law pertaining to this is the fact that the city or county have to disclose the fee. There are a number of cities and counties that make money from this and if the state passes a law to stop it then another war is on. The state is quickly realizing that a law that affects only one county or city is unconstitutional, and they will be defeated in the courts.

Tennessee Code § 66-5-211 (2021) - Disclosure of Impact Fees or Adequate Facilities Taxes — Definitions :: 2021 Tennessee Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1