The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I'm not a train geek in the least, but those pictures y'all have been sharing have me mezmerized. Is that a coal-powered locomotive? It looks similar to the Three Rivers Rambler in Knoxville.

I especially like the elegance of that train. It conjures an image of a 1940s Cadillac* in my mind; a very different thing, but the sleek, jet black features of both make me relate the two.

NY13_r120_02.thumb.jpg.c3cd8aed50be6296c3ad36dad9695792.jpg

* 1941 Cadillac Duchess, made in Detroit. These things are effing sick. Call me a hipster if you will, but I would love for American makes to embody elegance again. I want Detroit's automotive legacy to stick around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e-dub said:

Yep, she burns coal to make steam that turns the wheels.

I rode on a coal / steam train from Durango to Silverton, Colorado up the mountain.  Really fun...but my face was covered with soot / ashes by the time we got to the top.  It's the kinda thing that's fun for maybe an hour...then you can't wait to get off.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, titanhog said:

I rode on a coal / steam train from Durango to Silverton, Colorado up the mountain.  Really fun...but my face was covered with soot / ashes by the time we got to the top.  It's the kinda thing that's fun for maybe an hour...then you can't wait to get off.

Ha, I rode that, too.    We took the kids on it when they were little.    One of those cool things you just have to do for the experience.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

A rail from the airport to the convention center would be a good way to get people used to the idea of riding in something other than a car. 

I agree that it would make sense as the starter line in a larger system.  However, I would hope that if investment is going to be made that a larger system is actually the goal and they plan to make it something that can be expanded upon rather than just being a token 'toy' for tourists that goes to one specific end point and we leave it there.

• Like 1

Great idea. Anyone think Amazon would sponsor? 

Add in a circulator from the SoBro hub that goes up Lafayette across to Broadway, etc (a route that hits the most important spots for businesses/tourists) and circles back down 4th and you’ve got a winner

Prime Line. Let’s get this thing built!

Edited by nashwatcher
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bos2Nash said:

So are you recommending we replace the commuter rail entirely with light rail? Because the two modes cannot co-exist on the same line. 

The biggest problem with this is the service scope. Because the light rail would run along the river, it would miss a very wide scope of people. Running it through a populated area - while expensive from land ROW wise - serves a population of people and allows them to move freely, ala get employees to work. Also, you have to pick one mode or the other as a light rail cannot be safely on the same track line as a heavy locomotive. 

I was thinking that, at least, an exclusive airport to downtown line be created. There could be two other stops at Lebanon Road  and at the large industrial area just southeast of downtown which could be re-zoned to allow 'Gulch' type development.

As for the type of carrier, perhaps a customized commuter rail train could be adapted. Just spitballin' and I appreciate the response.

• Like 2

The current commuter rail is also shared in parts I think so scheduling the frequency necessary would be difficult. If I remember correctly, there are also regulations that require that line to be upgraded with positive train control before more passengers could travel on it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

I was thinking that, at least, an exclusive airport to downtown line be created. There could be two other stops at Lebanon Road  and at the large industrial area just southeast of downtown which could be re-zoned to allow 'Gulch' type development.

As for the type of carrier, perhaps a customized commuter rail train could be adapted. Just spitballin' and I appreciate the response.

That would be a great idea.

I think electrification of the entire line would be good. Then if we went to an EMU style train (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_multiple_unit) we could have the original line and the airport line function together.

Having an EMU would be perfect for building a tunnel under downtown in the future too, because the electrification will already be somewhat in place. 

1 minute ago, Craiger said:

The current commuter rail is also shared in parts I think so scheduling the frequency necessary would be difficult. If I remember correctly, there are also regulations that require that line to be upgraded with positive train control before more passengers could travel on it. 

Correct. They actually cut back on the total trips so they wouldn't have to install the safety system. But if the line were to be electrified then a whole new, modern system would be installed including that safety protocol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2