Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I'd rather see the BB&T monstrosity brought down, but either way it would be nice for 3rd St Station to see some urban improvement

Personally, let it all stay, I'd rather this come to light. 

three-cg1.jpg

Edited by Guest

^What glorious piece of work is this?

Its a concept that Wagner Murray did. 200 hotel rooms 100k of office. But it seems to only be a concept. I reached out to them last year and was shown the door. 

I can't tell if there's a car on the sidewalk or if that's a driveway up against the building.  Either way, odd to purposefully include that in a concept.  Wish it were more than just a concept, especially if those lights at the top are coming up from the pool.  Would make a pretty cool display at night.

I'm talking about the soon-to-be vacant AT&T Tower.  The one with the AT&T logo on top of it.

Floor plates are much too big for hotel, unless they added a central atrium, which would probably cost 25-40 million and be crazy as hell to do.

Edited by Guest

^ Maybe.  The new Hyatt Centric in Chicago is an office-to-hotel conversion.  It was a pretty large office building (the rooms are, admittedly, huge).

We are talking 8100 sq (90 x 90) floor plates on Hyatt Centric vs. 30,000 sq foot floor plates (appx 125 x 250) in ATT. This is like comparing grapes to pineapples. 

We are talking 8100 sq (90 x 90) floor plates on Hyatt Centric vs. 30,000 sq foot floor plates (appx 125 x 250) in ATT. This is like comparing grapes to pineapples. 

Not so much, as AT&T is a "longer" (by dimension on the Brevard St side) than the Centric is on Monroe St in Chicago.  But I'm no architect.  And the rooms wrap the elevator core at the Centric.  

It's pretty clear what kind of hotel that building would be perfect for!

9-hours-capsule-hotel-07.jpg

That would be like 10,000 pods. BAM Convention hotel. 

Not so much, as AT&T is a "longer" (by dimension on the Brevard St side) than the Centric is on Monroe St in Chicago.  But I'm no architect.  And the rooms wrap the elevator core at the Centric.  

the extra 35 feet would have to go somewhere. You would have to have 45 foot long rooms with 35 feet of hallways and elevator core, those are some big Mother Fn rooms.

The parking lot between the existing AT&T building and the tracks would provide a large enough footprint for a 1,000 room hotel unless they wanted to scale it into multiple towers. 

I don't know too much about the AT&T building, but it is the most suburban building in all of Uptown and may not be getting much leasing action. Limited parking, limited views, and at a light rail stop across from the convention center may make the land much more valuable than a crappy office building that probably needs a lot of updating for a new tenant(s). It would be cool to see a building this size in Uptown converted into a startup hub by the city.

While I'm not opposed to the idea of replacing that building with something much bigger/taller - it IS possible to gut the ground floor and make it have a viable street presence without starting over on the whole site.

Another upset bid for the property on Stonewall.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article24428230.html

A company affiliated with the development firm Bond Companies has offered $15.1 million for the land at Stonewall and South Caldwell streets. A real estate company in California also appears to be affiliated with the bid, based on corporate records.

Could be wrong, but it looks like they've only ever done one mid/high-rise.

Edited by birky
  • Like 1

And they are proposing multi-family, retail and a hotel. Sounds a lot better than the previous plans so far. I love competition!

Haven't they all proposed that?

Wonder if the increase in value will lead to a higher density development?

Another upset bid for the property on Stonewall.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article24428230.html

Could be wrong, but it looks like they've only ever done one mid/high-rise.

CBJ suggests that this may not be qualified as an upset bid, aparently their earnest money arrived after the deadline. Council will decide on the validity of the bid next week:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/06/another-bidder-emerges-for-uptown-land-but-does.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2015-06-16&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1434486843