Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

CBJ sez Northwood is planning 400 res units plus 50,000 sqft of office and retail space

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/northwood-ravin-makes-upset-bid-for-uptown-land.html

I'm no math wiz, but all this out bidding really looks great for the city.  Does this just go into the "general coffers"?  I know the city is battling a $22m deficit right now, so couldn't they just tack that easy breezy $14.5 million right on to that debt?

I'm no math wiz, but all this out bidding really looks great for the city.  Does this just go into the "general coffers"?  I know the city is battling a $22m deficit right now, so couldn't they just tack that easy breezy $14.5 million right on to that debt?

Going towards the NASCAR HOF loan, which I am sure will in turn help with that debt. Not having to make loan payments and interest and such.

Edited by Jayvee

I don't mind 8 floors if done right. This isn't the only parcel along Stonewall. There is the block infront of NASCAR and beside the 3 buildings with the clock tower. That would be better for Highrise also.

I think a mix between different heights would actually be aesthetically pleasing.

I'd actually like to see Walton Plaza be Lowrise/midrise with a single building lining stonewall with height variances from 5-17 floors with each section having a different look and ground floor retail. Maybe safe the ends of the block for a Highrise.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

MOD NOTE: The sale of the city parcels and redevelopment activity along Stonewall is best kept consolidated in the 2nd Ward topic where the parcel sales were always discussed.   Similar to 3rd Ward the last few years, it can be a separate topic if it is a high rise (so Crescent Uptown will remain a separate topic).   

Otherwise, there is too much overlap in the discussion of these parcels to be separate topics for each one, especially with plans likely to yield midrise development.  

Theme song ideas:

"Take me down to the big beige city where the walls are bland and quality's $h!++y"

"We built this city; We built this city on beige-stuc-co"

In celebration of our strong ties to Germany...

"Du...Du hast...Du hast beige"

Hahahahaha!! Fantastic!

• Like 1

Unsubstantiated rumor, but a fairly reliable source:  ATT building Demo'd to make room for a major expansion of the Hilton. Perhaps our 1,000 room hotel by expansion?

But they own the land across the tracks from them. They would just develop a tower there, they have plans for a 400 room hotel there. 

Unsubstantiated rumor, but a fairly reliable source:  ATT building Demo'd to make room for a major expansion of the Hilton. Perhaps our 1,000 room hotel by expansion?

I have to say, I wouldn't be upset if that building was demo'd... If it's for the Hilton expansion, even better. 

Yeah to RDFs point they own plenty of land to expand on. I highly highly doubt the building would be demolished. An expansion would be sweet though

I have always thought the lobby of the Hilton was misplaced.  If they expanded to Brevard, they could make a pretty impressive lobby / front desk area.  Again, just speculating.  That could also lead to making Brevard 2 way from Stonewall to Trade.

Edited by DMann

The parking lot between the existing AT&T building and the tracks would provide a large enough footprint for a 1,000 room hotel unless they wanted to scale it into multiple towers. 

I don't know too much about the AT&T building, but it is the most suburban building in all of Uptown and may not be getting much leasing action. Limited parking, limited views, and at a light rail stop across from the convention center may make the land much more valuable than a crappy office building that probably needs a lot of updating for a new tenant(s). It would be cool to see a building this size in Uptown converted into a startup hub by the city.

The parking lot between the existing AT&T building and the tracks would provide a large enough footprint for a 1,000 room hotel unless they wanted to scale it into multiple towers. 

I don't know too much about the AT&T building, but it is the most suburban building in all of Uptown and may not be getting much leasing action. Limited parking, limited views, and at a light rail stop across from the convention center may make the land much more valuable than a crappy office building that probably needs a lot of updating for a new tenant(s). It would be cool to see a building this size in Uptown converted into a startup hub by the city.

Very good point! Its only 21 years old though. I feel like it has another decade or so of life left. 

Happy Birthday by the way dcharlotte... 

I'd buy drinks for everyone on this board if in fact this building is demoed.  Sole crushing POS hunk of concrete with no redeeming value.