Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

The Brevard St Area plan, which encompasses this site, requires that 50% of net ground floor area must be "retail". Unfortunately, the definition of "retail" is open for interpretation (ie hotel lobby, apartment cafe, etc), however, 50% is such a sizeable requirement, there's no doubt that there will be some level of true consumer retail built into this site.

I'd heard Proffitt Dixon was another initial bidder on the site.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-24%20at%201.55.4

I don't think the city owns it yet. I'll find out, in the meantime, here is a larger version of the picture above.

The city does own that parcel, and they gave NASCAR some kind of option on the land (I think when they were hoping for the HQ relo) when they agreed to do the office tower.   I truly hope that they stop expanding the Convention Center, but if they have to keep it for that, sobeit.  

I'm excited to see what Pollack Shores does with the site.   Stonewall could be a very exciting street in a couple years.   

I wish the city would use this parcel-marketing to fund the rest of the 2nd Ward Plan.   The Brooklyn village did no progress, but they could still arrange to market the parcels and the proceeds funding the new street network and park as originally planned.   Especially with momentum shifting towards this area.  

I feel like the city could successfully place a small park in the cloverleaf from Stonewall to I-277 or within some other part of the massive corner of that interchange. I also agree that selling off a portion of the land the city, county, and state own in the area would help keep momentum going in the corridor and possibly help bring the neighborhoods south into the fold.

With the current development landscape these developments are going to feel like they are on an island for a few years. 

• Like 1

The NCDOT 277 plan has that clover leaf going away, if I recall correctly.   :)

Hopefully they do move forward with the original plan to redo Marshall Park in a way to support redevelopment.  Those massive parking lots with 1970s midrise government office towers are pretty depressing.  

But with the edges of the neighborhood on McDowell and Stonewall and Caldwell filling in, in will hopefully eventually move in towards the Marshall Park area. 

• Like 1

The only thing holding back Brooklyn Village is the County, or the owner of Marshall Park. Same thing is holding back Hal Marshall in First Ward, and even Walton Plaza, which is also on Stonewall in Second Ward. Somehow they've been advised that now is not the best time to sell. Seriously, a private consultant actually gave that advice. They must also work for Grubb in Elizabeth, or maybe the infamous Levine.

• Like 1

I guess my questions concern site #4 and site C.  Site #4 is where Actor's Theatre of Charlotte currently sits and I haven't heard anything about them potentially needing to move.  For me and a lot of theatre-goers, this is a gem in the city's art crown.  I would hate to see them move.  Their current site has so much character and is the perfect size for the productions they put on.  Now, that clunky, ugly white monstrosity sitting next to it......I'm ok with tearing that down.

Guys, that was just a master plan.  Have you ever seen a master plan that didn't put random cubic buildings on every possible spot ever?   

That is not city property, and there is no indication that Actors Theater is for sale.   Some guy copy-pasted to show a theoretical maximum build out.  The more significant aspects of that would be the public land and the plan for how to rebuild the street network and support the plan to sell off the newly available parcels after fixing the land-wasting cloverleaf design of the old 277-Caldwell interchange. 

It is possible that Actor's theatre may eventually realize the value of their land if there is a wave of development next door.  They could choose to sell of their parking lot and retain the building, or even decide to relocate with proceeds.   Or they could just stay put and benefit from all the new customers now living a block away.  

Some details about this project have been released: 300 apartments, 125 room hotel and 10,000 sqft of retail: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/atlanta-firm-plans-apartments-retail-and-hotel-at.html

Based on the article it sounds like the city expects there to be some upset bids. Several parties have shown interest in this land (rightfully so). 

• Like 1

Some details about this project have been released: 300 apartments, 125 room hotel and 10,000 sqft of retail: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/atlanta-firm-plans-apartments-retail-and-hotel-at.html

Based on the article it sounds like the city expects there to be some upset bids. Several parties have shown interest in this land (rightfully so).

HOpe someone out bids them. Pollacks plans are a waste of that site.

What would you realistically consider transformative for that block? (not being snarky if it comes across that way)

Something along like the lines of what Crescent is doing with the Whole Foods across the street. I'd rather not see apartments and another small hotel, but rather a condo/hotel combo highrise ala "W Residences Austin". Mix in more retail. 

Anything of real critical mass will be extremely limited at this site due to access constraints. When NCDOT reconfigured the freeway ramps, they placed restrictions on driveways or access points being added to the sites along Caldwell. Crescent was successful in appealing this restriction, only because their ingress/egress would not back up onto the exit ramp off I-277. However, adding a RI/RO along Caldwell at this Pollack Shores site is very unlikely, due to the restrictions in place and due to the fear that cars pulling into the site would back up into the exit ramp storage. Thus, with only one point of access along Stonewall for the entire site, there's very limited uses that can be built here and density is extremely limited as well.

Upset bids were due yesterday on this property. Has anyone heard if a new buyer emerged?

I heard from a reliable source that an upset bid came forward, but Pollack outbid them, I think that sets the due date forward another 10 days. No clue who the upset bid was from.

Luckily with UMUD zoning you can build as much on the lot as you want. As the land basis goes higher you can just add additional apartments, retail, hotel, or office to help offset the additional land price. 

That's assuming the market demand is there.