Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

1001 Church update: 3rd level of garage now up to street level with 10th Ave. North.

Looking  SE from Church Street Viaduct where it crosses over CSX tracks:

1001 Church, Oct 9, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from 10th Ave. North, underneath Church Street Viaduct:

1001 Church, Oct 9, 2022, 2.jpeg

I'm closely watching this one to see if it rises up into the office portion, past the parking garages. 

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is still a "go" to be built -- at least right now? Or will it be capped off at the garage to wait for Amazon or another tenant?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Amazon Two update.

Looking NE from Church Street Viaduct where it crosses over 11th Ave. North:

Amazon Two, Oct 9, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking west from YMCA Way, 1/2 block north of Church St:

Amazon Two, Oct 9, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking NW from 9th Ave. North, 1/8 block south of Church St:

Amazon Two, Oct 9, 2022, 3.jpeg

For me, this tower has a very "1970s modern" look to it. I like the design, but the aesthetic looks super west coast/LA in the 70s, but new. :)

3 hours ago, Manaen said:

A South West Value Partners representative recently said at an event that the current placeholder plan is to be level with Church Street and possibly host food trucks. All depends upon what Amazon chooses to do after that.

Ahh, ok! Dang, that's a bummer, but understandable, given current trends and market conditions. Too bad they can't repurpose the tower into hotel/office/residential mix. Maybe that could actually be an option.

Welcome!!!! Manaen....

16 hours ago, Manaen said:

A South West Value Partners representative recently said at an event that the current placeholder plan is to be level with Church Street and possibly host food trucks. All depends upon what Amazon chooses to do after that.

I Hope that is with the hopes of possibly continuing construction at a later date.

12 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Ahh, ok! Dang, that's a bummer, but understandable, given current trends and market conditions. Too bad they can't repurpose the tower into hotel/office/residential mix. Maybe that could actually be an option.

Amazon might have to get into the Hospitality business....lol AKA Amazon Suites Hotel.....

• Haha 3

On 10/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, Manaen said:

Would hate to see that parcel become a recession victim.

Lot of office space coming online downtown recently… if not Amazon, there may not be enough interest in the short term to fill the full-height ~600’ tower.

There’s already 3 residential towers going in the NY development proper, plus Tony’s 3 towers right next door, so I’m skeptical they’d pivot that parcel to residential.

Could they end up looking to build another hotel in the Yards or would they have signed an exclusivity contract for the Grand Hyatt?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, citywatcher said:

Amazon might have to get into the Hospitality business....lol AKA Amazon Suites Hotel.....

Would not be too surprised given the segments they've already branched into! haha

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

Would hate to see that parcel become a recession victim.

Lot of office space coming online downtown recently… if not Amazon, there may not be enough interest in the short term to fill the full-height ~600’ tower.

There’s already 3 residential towers going in the NY development proper, plus Tony’s 3 towers right next door, so I’m skeptical they’d pivot that parcel to residential.

Could they end up looking to build another hotel in the Yards or would they have signed an exclusivity contract for the Grand Hyatt?

Good point. A hotel option could succeed well there. 

Make it the tallest "all hotel building" in Nashville. Could see that succeeding, especially in that location. 

As it is right now with the market, a 600 foot high skyscraper with office-alone purpose, does not make sense financially, to be honest. So I can understand their reasoning. 

I could see them pause at garage height, take a look to see how the market pans out in 2023, and then based on that, move forward in 2024 or 2025 to either reduce the height of the building, repurpose it as a mixed residential, hotel, commercial building-something like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Would not be too surprised given the segments they've already branched into! haha

Good point. A hotel option could succeed well there. 

Make it the tallest "all hotel building" in Nashville. Could see that succeeding, especially in that location. 

As it is right now with the market, a 600 foot high skyscraper with office-alone purpose, does not make sense financially, to be honest. So I can understand their reasoning. 

I could see them pause at garage height, take a look to see how the market pans out in 2023, and then based on that, move forward in 2024 or 2025 to either reduce the height of the building, repurpose it as a mixed residential, hotel, commercial building-something like that.

If office projects are being cancelled then hotel projects will fare no better. People might be losing their jobs in record numbers. They're not going to be making leisure trips yet alone the reduction in business trips. The "children in the room" are doing a great job.

Edited by L. C. Ice
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not fully understanding the thinking here. Why would they hold off on building this tower? If Amazon don’t want or need it , somebody will. It’s not like it will be completed anytime soon , at least another two years to finish it. Build it as spec , and put the finishing touches on at the end. We see new project announcements happening throughout Nashville, including office. What about the projects just recently across the interstate in Midtown Beaman, Reed, Dairy property etc. those will certainly have office components. And the economy isn’t as bad as some would  like you to think, it’s adjusting and there are areas that need some attention, but the unemployment rate is lower now then before Covid and supply is getting back , sure prices are up but that’s just the greed of these companies to make back what they claim they lost during the pandemic. Amazon is seeing lower numbers now, because they were basically the go to for everyone during these past few years, now that people are getting back to normal shopping routines,  their not getting as much of the pie. I don’t get it, seems like a big farce bout nothing. Build it… and they will come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Not fully understanding the thinking here. Why would they hold off on building this tower? If Amazon don’t want or need it , somebody will. It’s not like it will be completed anytime soon , at least another two years to finish it. Build it as spec , and put the finishing touches on at the end. We see new project announcements happening throughout Nashville, including office. What about the projects just recently across the interstate in Midtown Beaman, Reed, Dairy property etc. those will certainly have office components. And the economy isn’t as bad as some would  like you to think, it’s adjusting and there are areas that need some attention, but the unemployment rate is lower now then before Covid and supply is getting back , sure prices are up but that’s just the greed of these companies to make back what they claim they lost during the pandemic. Amazon is seeing lower numbers now, because they were basically the go to for everyone during these past few years, now that people are getting back to normal shopping routines,  their not getting as much of the pie. I don’t get it, seems like a big farce bout nothing. Build it… and they will come.

I think a lot of it, with this particular building, has to do with Amazon announcing they are redesigning and repurposing a large percentage of their existing and newly built office space, to accommodate the surge in remote/working from home professionals. 

As it stands, with the Nashville Yards development, Amazon has the current roughly 25 story tower, and the brand spankin' newly built roughly 28 story tower next door. I would think--and this is me speculating--that Amazon thinks this is more than enough office space to accommodate in-office and remote/hybrid workers in Nashville, at least for the next forseeable 2-3 years. 

So in Amazon's eyes, the 3rd 45 story or so skyscraper there will not be utilized in the near future.

BUT,  the building could still be built and be marketed to other companies. The concern there though is if the Nashville Yards development company would want to spend 400-500 million or whatever the outrageous cost is, for a 45 story skyscraper, and build it without a committed anchor tenant or two. 

I'd love to see it get built. But it may require some repurposed use thinking for that to happen. At least in the next several years.

• Like 3

Residential demand is up post-pandemic in a way that office isn’t.

Tech companies are leasing significantly lower square footage per employee due to hybrid and work-from-home employment. Yes Nashville is building lots of office, but companies are downsizing and subletting their spaces. I’ve not heard how fully-leased Broadwest’s office tower and One22One are yet. Those plus the new Pinnacle tower will be the primary competitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L. C. Ice said:

If office projects are being cancelled then hotel projects will fare no better. People might be losing their jobs in record numbers. They're not going to be making leisure trips yet alone the reduction in business trips. The "children in the room" are doing a great job.

LICEC returns !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3