SunRail

sunshine

I find it hard to believe they are out there pouring the foundation for a station when the line is not quite a sure thing. Where is this?

I find it hard to believe they are out there pouring the foundation for a station when the line is not quite a sure thing. Where is this?

No they aren't. This is on 17-92 in Maitland..just south of Maitland Blvd. west side of the road next to the train tracks.

When I saw this site and sign I thought they WERE building a station..but apparently it's not. The build site is for the sign that is posted about 20 yards to the south of the commuter rail sign. I posted the pics to show how confusing it was.

Boy this article sure sounds ominous... I live in Atlanta now and I watched as a semi obscure battle over TAD's (Tax Allocation District) fought by one lawyer basicly brought Atlanta's Beltline project (light rail, parks and jogging trails that loop around the city) to a complete standstill.... When I hear Buddy Dyer say we have no concerns... I grow very concerned....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,7511456.story

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is good news... but the title of the article confuses me. I really really hope that Orlando gets commuter rail... I have never seen a state (and I love Florida dearly) so backwards when it comes to mass transit.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,6055996.story

apparently there is a deal in the works to fund a Polk County USF campus which Lakeland wants in exchange for shutting up about the CSX trains running through downtown Lakeland- stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe that Commuter Rail could possible get killed today. Makes me sick to my stomach. :sick: Florida has to get it together when it comes to mass transit. I do not think the public even knows this is going on today. I am so bitter... Lakeland and Polk county is a cesspool, it is the only place I have ever had the misfortune of seeing a person in full KKK garb, (standing on the side of a road). Paula Dockery and her red neck constituents can kiss my butt. :angry:

Feel free to contact this idiot. She is a public servent. She should get feedback!!

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/View_Page....ors/senate/015/

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...ter-rail-f.html

Commuter rail faces Senate budget showdown today

posted by Aaron Deslatte on Apr 9, 2008 8:31:32 AM

A bipartisan group of senators is planning to divert money intended for Central Florida's commuter rail project when the Senate takes up the state's $65 billion proposed budget later today.

Republican Sens. Alex Villalobos of Miami, Charlie Dean of Inverness, and Paula Dockery of Lakeland are joining with Democrats today to try and steer away millions of dollars intended to buy the 61-mile rail line from CSX Corp. for commuter rail.

The Republicans have filed an amendment transferring $20.1 million from the Department of Transportation's rail development pot to the state court system, set to take a deep cut in the spending plan.

Democrats, led by Broward County Sens. Steve Geller and Nan Rich, want to take another $70 million out of the pot devoted to the CSX deal to soften cuts to educators, community care for the elderly, public defenders and state attorneys.

While Democrats are a minority in the Senate, the crossover of three Republicans has sent Central Florida government lobbyists into a frenzy to take the temperature of all 40 senators last night and this morning before the Senate went into session.

"It will be close," said Fred Leonhardt, a lobbyist for the city of Orlando and LYNX, who said the chamber last night was evenly divided over raiding the rail funding.

Leonhardt said the wildcard will be Senate Majority Leader Dan Webster, R-Winter Garden, who has responded with his own amendment to drain $20 million form South Florida's transit authority.

"He can be very persuasive," Leonhardt said.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

You're right, I didn't know this was going on until today and the Sentinel is reporting that the commuter rail was very nearly shot down today. Here is the article.

I am a bit of a political and urban planning junky. I read a paper everyday and look for articles on Central Florida's Commuter Rail every week day without fail. I had not heard about this vote till I read it in an obscure blog just today! Where is the common man represented in all this? How on earth could the Florida Senate have an unnannounced vote on an amendment to steer 20 MILLION DOLLARS away from Central Florida's commuter rail project. State Senator Gary Siplin (D-Orlando) also voted for this quasi- legal diversion of funds; here is some biographical information about Senator Gary Siplin. http://www.wftv.com/news/8595513/detail.html

This Paula Dockery woman is trying to do everything she can to defeat commuter rail. This effects millions of people in Central Florida. I urge anyone and everyone who reads about this and supports Commuter rail to GET ACTIVE. Let Paula Dockery know that she has shown up on OUR radar and that she can never hope to attain a state wide political position when she has shown herself to be such a PORK BARREL PARTISON. How DARE she try steer 20 million dollars away from commuter rail with a last minute unpublicized vote! NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION PAULA!!!!

Once again here is Paula Dockery's Senate Web page. Tell her how you feel. http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/View_Page....ors/senate/015/

Contact O-towns own Gary Siplin

http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index....FTOKEN=81532341

BTW: I am in no way affiliated with commuter rail. I am just very ANGRY about how our broken system works.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

GregoryMSCE, way to make generalizations about everyone in Polk County...very mature.

We get it, you're angry. There are tons of back stories as to why Dockery is against this bill. None of them being that she is actually opposed to it. However, Sen. J.D. Alexander is the big wig behind getting the CSX deal done. He represents those same "redneck constituents," and is from Polk County (Lake Wales). Are you having your cake and eating it too?

Every evening before the next days session, the calendars are posted on the Senate and House of Represenatives websites. There, you can read everything that will be taken up on the floor. Newspapers are not the place to find that kind of stuff. Or, you may call the Senate President or House Speakers Office to get the info. Its not that its not there, you're just not looking in the right place.

Know all the facts before slinging mud.

* A guy in a KKK outfit is indeed sad to hear. But it doesnt hold a candle to some of the freakish things you see in metro Orlando.

Edited by Go Gators

GregoryMSCE, way to make generalizations about everyone in Polk County...very mature.

We get it, you're angry. But Sen. J.D. Alexander is the big wig behind getting the CSX deal done. He represents those same "redneck constituents," and is from Polk County. Are you having your cake and eating it too?

* A guy in a KKK outfit is indeed sad to hear. But it doesnt hold a candle to some of the freakish things you see in metro Orlando.

Go Gators. When I start worrying about what YOU think I am in serious trouble. Go Knights.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

We get it, you're angry. There are tons of back stories as to why Dockery is against this bill. None of them being that she is actually opposed to it. However, Sen. J.D. Alexander is the big wig behind getting the CSX deal done. He represents those same "redneck constituents," and is from Polk County (Lake Wales). Are you having your cake and eating it too?

Every evening before the next days session, the calendars are posted on the Senate and House of Represenatives websites. There, you can read everything that will be taken up on the floor. Newspapers are not the place to find that kind of stuff. Or, you may call the Senate President or House Speakers Office to get the info. Its not that its not there, you're just not looking in the right place.

"Every evening before the next days session, the calendars are posted on the Senate and House of Represenatives websites."

Are you kidding me? Is it my responsibility to check out the Senates web site "every evening" to see what they are up to? Good government entails transparency. I shouldn't have to dig around government websites "every evening" to find out about a vote that is this important.

Mike Thomas of the Orlando Sentinel wrote a commentary about Central Florida's Commuter Rail on April 6th and he did not bring this vote up. I suppose he should check out the Senates web site "every evening" also.

Go Gators here are some opinions, other than yours...

The Orlando Sentinel described todays vote as a "cash-raid". http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...ter-rail-c.html

Mike Thomas's commentary about Senator Dockery's motives. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/n...,2590678.column

Go Gators here is a defination of Pork Barrel for you.

A political metaphor for the appropriation of government spending for projects that are intended primarily to benefit particular constituents or campaign contributors.

Bottom line Senator Dockery is against more freight trains running through her voters neighborhoods.

As far as your comment "* A guy in a KKK outfit is indeed sad to hear. But it doesnt hold a candle to some of the freakish things you see in metro Orlando. " I am at a loss for words.... how do freakish things compare with the KKK? Are the freaks of Orlando proponents of hate?

Edited by GregoryMCSE