SunRail

sunshine

FatHead Paula Dockery is holding a rally today against commuter rail. She says Commuter Rail is dead unless something happens before this legislative session ends. Think of her the next time you are sitting in I-4 traffic. Here is a link to a blogger here quotes her and gives some of the facts the fine people of Lakeland have come up with.

http://talesfromthedelkside.blogspot.com/2...t-downtown.html

Here is a link to FatHead Paula Dockerys' Senate web page. Please give these rude people a call and tell them what you think!

http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index....Title=-%3ESenat

BTW: I have been around the block a time or to and IMHO commuter rail is in grave danger.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

From the Sentinel's politics blog (about 1pm today):

CSX Deal Evolving In the Senate

Seate (sic) Majority leader Dan Webster, R-Winter Garden, has offered a new twist in the evolving fight over Central Florida's commuter rail deal with CSX Corp.

Instead of the $650 million agreement CSX negotiated with the state Department of Transportation,which gives the company more than $200 million to make upgrades on its private freight lines throughout the state, he is offering new language set for a key committee vote Tuesday that simply pays the company $450 million for the right-of-way around the 61-mile line that would carry commuter rail through downtown Orlando.

The land around the rail has been appraised for around $420 million, but the DOT agreement with CSX spells out the state would pay $150 million for the line, along with financing other rail upgrades and the relocation of a freight rail hub from Taft Yard to Winter Haven.

The move to further restrict the state dollars is clearly aimed at appeasing senators who had heartburn earlier this month with giving CSX tax money to upgrade private freight lines. But the chairman of the Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations Committee slated to debate it tomorrow said he's still not satisfied.

"I won't be agreeing to it," Sen. Mike Fasano, R-New Port Richey, said Monday afternoon. But he did caution he wasn't sure what the other committee members would do, and that he expected another version of the deal to pop up.

The amendment is a bit of a two-fer -- besides containing the liability insurance language CSX says it needs to complete the transaction, it also would allow a new $2 "surcharge" for rental vehicles in counties like Orange that are home to an international airport. Webster pushed the car tax last year, but it was vetoed by Gov. Charlie Crist.

(A comment posted afterward notes the car tax was vetoed in 2006 by Jeb, not last year by Charlie - TriRail in South FL wants the rental car tax as a funding source so there are two significant regions pulling for it - I'll leave it to GoGators to tell us which bloc is the more powerful - the rental car companies/anti-tax crowd or the south FL/central FL legislators behind this.)

Edited by spenser1058

From the Sentinel's politics blog (about 1pm today):

CSX Deal Evolving In the Senate

Seate (sic) Majority leader Dan Webster, R-Winter Garden, has offered a new twist in the evolving fight over Central Florida's commuter rail deal with CSX Corp.

Instead of the $650 million agreement CSX negotiated with the state Department of Transportation,which gives the company more than $200 million to make upgrades on its private freight lines throughout the state, he is offering new language set for a key committee vote Tuesday that simply pays the company $450 million for the right-of-way around the 61-mile line that would carry commuter rail through downtown Orlando.

The land around the rail has been appraised for around $420 million, but the DOT agreement with CSX spells out the state would pay $150 million for the line, along with financing other rail upgrades and the relocation of a freight rail hub from Taft Yard to Winter Haven.

The move to further restrict the state dollars is clearly aimed at appeasing senators who had heartburn earlier this month with giving CSX tax money to upgrade private freight lines. But the chairman of the Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations Committee slated to debate it tomorrow said he's still not satisfied.

"I won't be agreeing to it," Sen. Mike Fasano, R-New Port Richey, said Monday afternoon. But he did caution he wasn't sure what the other committee members would do, and that he expected another version of the deal to pop up.

The amendment is a bit of a two-fer -- besides containing the liability insurance language CSX says it needs to complete the transaction, it also would allow a new $2 "surcharge" for rental vehicles in counties like Orange that are home to an international airport. Webster pushed the car tax last year, but it was vetoed by Gov. Charlie Crist.

(A comment posted afterward notes the car tax was vetoed in 2006 by Jeb, not last year by Charlie - TriRail in South FL wants the rental car tax as a funding source so there are two significant regions pulling for it - I'll leave it to GoGators to tell us which bloc is the more powerful - the rental car companies/anti-tax crowd or the south FL/central FL legislators behind this.)

Thanks Spenser, but I got to tell you I read both articles and it makes things about as clear as mud. :)

Thanks Spenser, but I got to tell you I read both articles and it makes things about as clear as mud. :)

I take a couple of things from it (and since Go Gators is there, he may have better inside info). One, the Ledger seems to think the powers behind this are moving our direction. Two, Dan Webster (whom I respect a great deal even though I could never vote for him because of his right-wing stands on other issues, but he's usually honest and does look after the hometown stuff) is the Majority Leader and it looks like a lot of powerful folks want this to pass.

Legislating, as they always say, is like making sausage and it's best not to look too closely, but I am cautiously optimistic based on what I'm reading. But, as pointed out, it ain't over 'til it's over (trying to get in even more cliches than Larry Sabato here).

Edited by spenser1058

I take a couple of things from it (and since Go Gators is there, he may have better inside info). One, the Ledger seems to think the powers behind this are moving our direction. Two, Dan Webster (whom I respect a great deal even though I could never vote for him because of his right-wing stands on other issues, but he's usually honest and does look after the hometown stuff) is the Majority Leader and it looks like a lot of powerful folks want this to pass.

:thumbsup:

Its really hilarious that Dockery is telling the press that there is a deal to kill this. This is how you know she is getting pretty desperate. She is creating an alternate reality.

As of 6:45 today...things are looking very good.

The latest on trying to build common cause with south Florida and TriRail, and the unions and trial lawyers not amused:

http://www.miamiherald.com/458/story/504572.html

Keep in mind, although the Democrats are coming back ever so slowly, unions and trial lawyers probably cannot stop this if the Republican majority is ok with it (and many south FL Dems are "on board" due to the TriRail issue). Looks like it could run up to sine die, but the momentum still appears to be in our favor at this moment.

Looks like this could go either way. I am cautiously optimistic.

From The Sentinel.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...ed-csx-dea.html

Mangled CSX deal barely escapes Senate committee

posted by Aaron Deslatte on Apr 22, 2008 1:08:48 PM

Central Florida and CSX would have to sign off on a whole new commuter rail agreement, under a plan by Senate Majority Leader Daniel Webster to keep the battered rail deal from collapsing in the final days of the legislation session.

Webster barely managed to muscle the new agreement through the Senate Economic Development and Transportation Appropriations Committee Tuesday by offering deals to South Florida lawmakers to bolster their own Tri-Rail system with higher rental-car taxes.

But he said afterward the full Senate could still shoot it down.....

I know Go Gators knows more and feels optimistic but I have a real bad feeling about this. I honestly belive that commuter rail is not going to get passed. It just looks bleak. The Ledger article is more optimistic though. Go Gators if you re3ad the Ledger article go to the Dockery quote at the end of the article... Is Dockery softening her stance?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politi...0,2321352.story

Orlando-area commuter-rail deal gets sidetracked

Aaron Deslatte {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee Bureau

April 23, 2008

TALLAHASSEE - The rail deal that would have Central Floridians commuting to work by train survived a key vote in the state Senate on Tuesday, but it's still in danger of jumping the tracks in the next 10 days.....

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080423/.../804230404/1039

Railroad Deal Rolls Closer to Approval

Senate committee's OK sets stage for showdown between 2 competing bills.

By Joe Follick

LEDGER TALLAHASSEE BUREAU

TALLAHASSEE {sodEmoji.|} A controversial deal that would bring commuter rail to Orlando took a major step toward final legislative approval Tuesday with a reversal that could eliminate a promise from the state to pay for a new hub and rail improvements for CSX Transport....

Edited by GregoryMCSE

Go Gators, I know you are up in Tallahassee and have more info; but I am going to call it: Their is no way that a transportion package that includes a deal with CSX is going to pass this session. You heard it hear: Commuter rail is DEAD.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,2703144.story

Face-off nears on commuter rail

Dueling bills, weighed down with extraneous measures, face an uncertain future.

John Kennedy and Aaron Deslatte {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee Bureau

TALLAHASSEE - A wide-ranging transportation package that includes an agreement with CSX Corp. to buy 61 miles of right of way for Central Florida commuter rail is poised for a pivotal vote today in the state House.

Go Gators, I know you are up in Tallahassee and have more info; but I am going to call it: Their is no way that a transportion package that includes a deal with CSX is going to pass this session. You heard it hear: Commuter rail is DEAD.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,2703144.story

Face-off nears on commuter rail

Dueling bills, weighed down with extraneous measures, face an uncertain future.

John Kennedy and Aaron Deslatte {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee Bureau

TALLAHASSEE - A wide-ranging transportation package that includes an agreement with CSX Corp. to buy 61 miles of right of way for Central Florida commuter rail is poised for a pivotal vote today in the state House.

Don't be too sure. As much as half of what gets accomplished in Tally often happens in the last 24 hours of session; if the powers that be want this thing to move, it can still happen. We won't know for sure until sine die and may still not know exactly what got passed (or didn't) for a couple days after that. Stay tuned, as there should be more reports coming today. If the Senate Majority Leader and the next Speaker can't get this done, I'll be a little surprised (on the other hand, Republicans have always confused me :dontknow: ).

If this does not pass, I'll be shocked.

At this point, it would take more than people realize to stop this process. The worst part about everything is how in the world the state can justify spending $491 million to make this happen when there is a shortfall of $1.3 billion.

Lakeland had better start looking at more overpasses like Ocala to accompany the ones they already have in place.

Edited by HeartofFlorida