5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

There is an H & M at Opry Mills.

https://www.simon.com/mall/opry-mills/stores/hm

Listening to Fox 17 this morning  as they were interviewing the average schmo on the street about H & M, and the response was negative. I am not really sure what the right mix of retail fits the needs in that space as long as there is not another Honky Tonk.

4 hours ago, SumnerCountian said:

Once they start actual construction, are they building  both towers at the same time? I would hate for it to end up like the Nashville City Center where there to be two towers there, but they built the smaller one first then canned the other, tall building. 

From all I've heard, everything is supposed to be built simultaneously.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is an H & M at Opry Mills.

https://www.simon.com/mall/opry-mills/stores/hm

Listening to Fox 17 this morning  as they were interviewing the average schmo on the street about H & M, and the response was negative. I am not really sure what the right mix of retail fits the needs in that space as long as there is not another Honky Tonk.

Not impressed with this H&M announcement.  Cheap clothes.

• Like 1

Lots of their clothes are cheap, affordable on trend clothes aimed at young people that don't wanna drop much on their designer counterparts, but you can also get some fairly decent things in there. i needed a suit in a pinch that i bought for around $100 years ago. got it tailored and still wear it to this day and get compliments on it all the time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

H&M is to clothing what IKEA is to home furnishings.  Besides both being Swedish, both have cult-like followings around the globe.  This new store at 5th + Broadway will be a Flagship store which is a big step up from their mall stores.  While their mall stores carry their regular and popular, inexpensive stuff, their Flagship stores have things like personal shoppers and more high-end fashion from international designers such as Lanvin, Versace, Jimmy Choo, Roberto Cavalli, Kirsty Hume, Kenzo, and others.  The only other H&M Flagship stores in the Southeast are in Atlanta and Miami Beach.  So it's actually a pretty big deal for Nashville to get one, and a Flagship store will be a destination in the way an IKEA is a destination (albeit on a smaller scale, obviously).  And the building design will most likely be pretty cool.

Great!  That's much better than what I was thinking it was.  I just figured we were getting another H&M in the market, which was actually a little disappointing considering they're already here.  But the way you've explained it definitely makes me see that this will be great downtown.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I am sure the developers are trying not to be redundant, but ultimately the tenants that sign for the highest rent will be chosen, whether we already have them (like H&M), or we don't (like Saks 5th Ave or Zara). 

Zara product is so much better, in my opinion, but lesser known.

• Like 1

Locals might not get excited about H&M being downtown, but this will be big with tourists who come from areas where H&M has always been something they've heard about but have never seen. It's similar to how Hard Rock Cafe and Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville hardly appeal to locals, but out-of-towners love 'em.

It will be interesting to see if Fifth + Main goes for an overall high-end appeal with their food and retail or tries to keep it more blue-collar affordable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Canuck87 said:

I've been quiet on the board for some time, but I thought I'd chime in quickly just to say that I am excited about the H&M announcement.

I've been staying with family this summer in Toronto and enjoying all the city has to offer. For those who aren't familiar with Toronto, at the center of the downtown are Dundas Square (Toronto's version of Times Square or Piccadilly Circus) and the Eaton Centre (North America's busiest mall). Facing the square and attached to the mall is a massive, three-level H&M flagship store (it is actually one of the ten largest H&Ms in the world).

I happened to drive by that intersection one Saturday afternoon and was blown away at the activity going on. It did remind me of Times Square and Piccadilly Circus, both of which I have visited several times. Lower Broadway is becoming that kind of place!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Some interesting urban H&M images...

214427.jpg

hm-hong-kong-g4-group-arquitectura-ingen

HM-Balloon-Dog-Facade.jpg

the-new-hm-flagship-store-in-midtown-man

20110413__H-M_11_0406_FINAL~p1.jpg

Thank you for posting these.  You beat me to it!  I was going to do this when I got home today, that is post pictures of various H&M Flagship stores just to show that this has the potential to be something pretty snazzy for downtown Nashville.

• Like 3

I agree that the H&M is a big deal. Sure, it may not be for everyone (it's not my thing), but it's kind of a metric of a world class shopping district, which downtown has lacked in recent years. And this store will be very different than the one in shopryland. 

Ask anyone in the hotel/service industry downtown. What do tourist always ask? "Where is the shopping" is what they hear the most. They don't want to have to Uber out to Green Hills. They want to be able to walk out of their hotel into a shopping district. 

I think 5th & Broadway will be a major catalyst for a big change to lower Broadway. Personally, I hope it's the beginning of the end for the trinket stores and airbrushed tee-shirt shops. Having one boot store is fun. Having a zillion souviner shops is just trashy. The honkey-tonks are what make Nashville unique. The rest is just garbage. I hope H&M is just the beginning of bigger things to come. 

Its just too bad that all the new buildings in SoBro weren't brave enough to develop this on their own. 

• Like 4

I saw some interviews on the street about H&M being on Broadway and many expressed their dislike about the announcement,  but looking at the lack of taste in fashion of the people who where been interviewed and some of the passersby,  the H&M can't get downtown quick enough.  

I would prefer a Bergdorfs,  Hermes, and a Bloomingdales instead, but I digress.