Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, GVLover said:

For final clarification, is the office tower 15 or 17 floors? It’s looking like a beast. 

27115B41-9B5F-47A1-B144-D16E4A521AC9.jpeg

Maybe this picture settles the debate of 16 or 17. The left side is on higher grade while the right side is on lower grade and reveals another floor?

Edited by distortedlogic

On 1/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, motonenterprises said:

I disagree. Most cities aren't big cities like you're thinking of. There are more small towns and cities than big cities. What city in South Carolina would this not be considered a beast? What city in Georgia outside of Atlanta would it not be considered one? Hmm. This is a decent sized building.

Yeah, it's definitely relative.  Not just relative from city to city, but time period as well. The Woodside building was 17 stories (though a little shorter) but was built in 1923 and would have definitely been a "beast" for it's time, and the landmark building likely was as well. But for 2020 I can't see a 17 story building being a beast unless it was in a city like Greenwood or something. As for peer cities, I don't think it would be a beast in Cola and certainly not Myrtle Beach. For Georgia, it's pretty much a one horse state for traditional cites. Athens is a smaller college town and Savannah is a historic coastal city like Charleston. For NC;  I don't think it would be considered a beast in our peer cities of Greensboro, Winston Salem, or even Durham (which has 3 buildings over 300 ft). Mobile AL has multiple buildings significantly taller, including RSA at 745 ft; now that would be a beast! 

To clarify: you're speaking in terms of visibility. 

I think Columbia, Greensboro, WS, and Durham would each love to have the additional investment and redevelopment on the size of Camperdown in the heart of their respective urban cores. It's not that they haven't seen something similar before (we have, too), but would they take an additional city block of this caliber? 100% they would each welcome it with open arms. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

To clarify: you're speaking in terms of visibility. 

I think Columbia, Greensboro, WS, and Durham would each love to have the additional investment and redevelopment on the size of Camperdown in the heart of their respective urban cores. It's not that they haven't seen something similar before (we have, too), but would they take an additional city block of this caliber? 100% they would each welcome it with open arms. 

Yes to all of this. And I imagine many larger cities would have welcomed the Camperdown development as well.

14 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah, it's definitely relative.  Not just relative from city to city, but time period as well. The Woodside building was 17 stories (though a little shorter) but was built in 1923 and would have definitely been a "beast" for it's time, and the landmark building likely was as well. But for 2020 I can't see a 17 story building being a beast unless it was in a city like Greenwood or something. As for peer cities, I don't think it would be a beast in Cola and certainly not Myrtle Beach. For Georgia, it's pretty much a one horse state for traditional cites. Athens is a smaller college town and Savannah is a historic coastal city like Charleston. For NC;  I don't think it would be considered a beast in our peer cities of Greensboro, Winston Salem, or even Durham (which has 3 buildings over 300 ft). Mobile AL has multiple buildings significantly taller, including RSA at 745 ft; now that would be a beast! 

It would be a decent sized building in most of those except Myrtle which is a tourist trap city and still doesn't hold the state's tallest. What city in the state is building anything of height lately? Greenwood is actually more in line with an average sized city or town. There are more places that size than there are big cities. By building codes, not opinions this is at least considered high rise. Standards not opinions. Some places build height that isn't needed at that time. Just because these cities have more than one building 300+ feet or more doesn't mean this wouldn't be a significant building for them. What has been built lately of size in those cities? At least Greenville is building. We don't need a 745ft building. I'm not sure Mobile did. Probably more for looks than it was for need.

10 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

It would be a decent sized building in most of those except Myrtle which is a tourist trap city and still doesn't hold the state's tallest. What city in the state is building anything of height lately? Greenwood is actually more in line with an average sized city or town. There are more places that size than there are big cities. By building codes, not opinions this is at least considered high rise. Standards not opinions. Some places build height that isn't needed at that time. Just because these cities have more than one building 300+ feet or more doesn't mean this wouldn't be a significant building for them. What has been built lately of size in those cities? At least Greenville is building. We don't need a 745ft building. I'm not sure Mobile did. Probably more for looks than it was for need.

I don't really disagree with any of that. I guess it's more of my own stab at the lack of a true signature high rise for Greenville while many of our peers have one. I also agree that, over the past decade, Greenville has probably built more height than anywhere in state except maybe MYB, and I don't consider MYB a traditional city so... As for building codes, I get that anything over12 stories is a "high rise", but in my opinion that is outdated. That's why I said its really relative. I don't even think of the Landmark building as a high rise for this day and age. 

I will add that, just for comparison' s sake, Spartanburg's tallest, the BB&T (Advantica ) is listed on Emporis at 250ft, the exact height of this one. That particular building would classify as a beast for that city, as it's the tallest by a good margin, and really stands out there. Spartanburg also has only four buildings over 100ft tall (per Emporis). Greenville has enough "mid-range" height that the Camperdown at 250 won't stand out as much, especially with the Condo building as a back drop and it being on a lower section of DT.

Edited by distortedlogic

9 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I don't really disagree with any of that. I guess it's more of my own stab at the lack of a true signature high rise for Greenville while many of our peers have one. I also agree that, over the past decade, Greenville has probably built more height than anywhere in state except maybe MYB, and I don't consider MYB a traditional city so... As for building codes, I get that anything over12 stories is a "high rise", but in my opinion that is outdated. That's why I said its really relative. I don't even think of the Landmark building as a high rise for this day and age. 

I will add that, just for comparison' s sake, Spartanburg's tallest, the BB&T (Advantica ) is listed on Emporis at 250ft, the exact height of this one. That particular building would classify as a beast for that city, as it's the tallest by a good margin, and really stands out there. Spartanburg also has only four buildings over 100ft tall (per Emporis). Greenville has enough "mid-range" height that the Camperdown at 250 won't stand out as much, especially with the Condo building as a back drop and it being on a lower section of DT.

That's a fair point I guess. And don't get me wrong. I definitely want to see something taller, but at least we're heading in the right direction. Density is good too right? Hopefully that new tallest will be announced in the near future. In the meantime, I'm just glad we're building.

2 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Nah. They can do a little better than that. Lol.

That would be good for the project.

They have what 15,000 sq ft to work with with the larger space?  I guess you could get two three hundred seat rooms in there, just guessing. Maybe a little more? If it showed a mix of first run and art house films, and had a bar and possibly was one of the nicer ones with plush reclining seats and served food to your seats, that would actually be pretty darn cool.   Well now that I think about it, and a bit limiting to just those that could afford it which would be a little bit like the peace center.  One the benefits of a theater is its appeal to all.  I dont think we need another just for the rich (or better off) destination.   I doubt the folks living above it in the million dollar condos would appreciate too many common folk down at their lobby level though.  Maybe it will be a Tiffany and Co.   

Edited by gvegascple

2 hours ago, gvegascple said:

They have what 15,000 sq ft to work with with the larger space?  I guess you could get two three hundred seat rooms in there, just guessing. Maybe a little more? If it showed a mix of first run and art house films, and had a bar and possibly was one of the nicer ones with plush reclining seats and served food to your seats, that would actually be pretty darn cool.   Well now that I think about it, and a bit limiting to just those that could afford it which would be a little bit like the peace center.  One the benefits of a theater is its appeal to all.  I dont think we need another just for the rich (or better off) destination.   I doubt the folks living above it in the million dollar condos would appreciate too many common folk down at their lobby level though.  Maybe it will be a Tiffany and Co.   

Not sure. Is Greenville large enough for one?