Brightline Trains

FLheat

17 hours ago, aent said:

Apparently that train was also short because demand in South Florida has the trains filling up and they need the extra passenger cars. They're also running mismatched colored sets as a result. 

Brightline also ordered additional passenger cars

The order is for a total of twenty new passenger cars, with half to be delivered in 2024 and the remainder to be delivered in 2025.

...its a powerful testament...

The testing is starting late, which means the previously rumored June launch date for Brightline is no longer possible. Earliest possible now is July from what I'm hearing. I think they might not really be wanting to rush it too much as they really don't have enough cars, given the increased demand, until more are delivered next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aent said:

The testing is starting late, which means the previously rumored June launch date for Brightline is no longer possible. Earliest possible now is July from what I'm hearing. I think they might not really be wanting to rush it too much as they really don't have enough cars, given the increased demand, until more are delivered next year.

If you're hearing what I'm hearing some of the testing is revealing adjustments that need to be made along the alignment which I assume would slow things down a bit.

Edited by codypet
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, aent said:

I'm ecstatic that they are short cars because of demand.  this is such a good sign ala viability of the system.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, codypet said:

If you're hearing what I'm hearing some of the testing is revealing adjustments that need to be made along the alignment which I assume would slow things down a bit.

considerable, I'm thinking, if it has to do with the layers that go under the tracks themselves.

originally they said MCO would house 8/12 trains for BL.  Recently they said 10/12, with the other 2 housed in West Palm.  I think they just mean for the WPB to Orlando segment.  How many total trains will it have from Miami to Orl?  And, where else are the Maintenance facilities located at, Dade?

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

originally they said MCO would house 8/12 trains for BL.  Recently they said 10/12, with the other 2 housed in West Palm.  I think they just mean for the WPB to Orlando segment.  How many total trains will it have from Miami to Orl?  And, where else are the Maintenance facilities located at, Dade?

Workshop b is in West Palm.  That's a mini facility.  The main one is in Orlando.  I don't know of any plans to expand Workshop b or build another one.

image.thumb.png.e1a21079934913fc3c0e3213ecdac5e9.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Workshop b is in West Palm.  That's a mini facility.  The main one is in Orlando.  I don't know of any plans to expand Workshop b or build another one.

image.thumb.png.e1a21079934913fc3c0e3213ecdac5e9.png

So Orlando is the main facility for that entire line (ORL to Miami)?

40 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So Orlando is the main facility for that entire line (ORL to Miami)?

Yes.  As foretold by the old Orlando to Tampa HSR. 

Where Brightline's Orlando Facility is located was where the OG HSR facility was intended to go.  That old HSR was going to have ORL to TPA as the first leg and ORL to MIA as the 2nd leg, so the same just flip flopped.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

Where Brightline's Orlando Facility is located was where the OG HSR facility was intended to go.  That old HSR was going to have ORL to TPA as the first leg and ORL to MIA as the 2nd leg, so the same just flip flopped.

so all this time, the WPB maintenance facility alone has been servicing BL in SoFla?

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

My understanding is the Orlando-Miami has 10 trainsets total for operation (plus an extra locomotive). 8 will be stored in Orlando, 2 in WPB. No new facility or expansion to the WPB is planned. Orlando will be expanded as the service grows towards Tampa (or ridership increases to demand it). Once Tampa is completed, there should still be 2 stored in WPB and 12 in Orlando I believe. There are currently 5 colors, red, green, blue, pink, and orange, with 2 sets in each color 

47 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so all this time, the WPB maintenance facility alone has been servicing BL in SoFla?

Yes. They partly have gotten away with that by having more trains then they really needed for the line, from my understanding.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, codypet said:

I guess I got sidetracked with Miami Station.  They probably store trains there at night b/c its so big (and elevated).

Yeah, the great thing about them needing more cars on that first leg is that bc of demand, it goes towards viability, and can offset any low numbers early in the Orlando leg ridership.

14 minutes ago, leondecollao said:

I too am very impressed with Brightline. It’s everything we wish sunrail would  be - free shuttles to sporting events, late night service, weekend service, etc. Pleasantly surprised to see a train project managed and planned so well. 

image.png.3b3a7913d5ec7334daf0469a72ca16c0.png

On 4/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, leondecollao said:

I too am very impressed with Brightline. It’s everything we wish sunrail would  be - free shuttles to sporting events, late night service, weekend service, etc. Pleasantly surprised to see a train project managed and planned so well. 

I still don't know how Orange County doesn't see this. I'd like to see someone start up an effort to protest CFX or Lynx taking over Sunrail when FDOT gives up control and hand it to Brigthline. They've said they're interested, but our local leadership doesn't seem to want it to be well run. The incentives are aligned for Brightline to run it, it will supplement their ridership of the long distance routes.

Edited by aent
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:26 PM, aent said:

I still don't know how Orange County doesn't see this. I'd like to see someone start up an effort to protest CFX or Lynx taking over Sunrail when FDOT gives up control and hand it to Brigthline. They've said they're interested, but our local leadership doesn't seem to want it to be well run. The incentives are aligned for Brightline to run it, it will supplement their ridership of the long distance routes.

Brightline owns their own tracks, no? Sunrail's is owned by our government but don't they connect to CSX's? 

They are not interested because the price will go up and limit working class people from riding it. And they want to control it regardless that FEC could run it better. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

Brightline owns their own tracks, no? Sunrail's is owned by our government but don't they connect to CSX's? 

They are not interested because the price will go up and limit working class people from riding it. And they want to control it regardless that FEC could run it better. 

CSX sold their mainline track to FDOT, right?

the BL track at MCO does connect to CSX to the west.  that's where those train sets come in from...