SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

They wish to be particular about who can travel there.

I think I have a solution - The Lynx White Line

Obviously this line cannot connect to the Blue Line or Uptown because reasons, but Lynx Premium Car Service will be available for a modest fee to shuttle riders to select office towers.

:offtopic:

(disclaimer for the humorless: sarcasm.)

I drive through the heart of Southpark every day as well; can't say it's much fun. Despite there being no easy answer to infill congestion vs. sprawl, I'll take the congestion 10 times out of 10.

• Like 1

Took a shot at creating a streetcar line to Southpark.  File under "never gonna happen" but I ran it from Scaleybark Station since it isn't elevated/isolated like Woodlawn/Tyvola.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id=LynxRed

Keep changing but I think this is my finished ideal streetcar loop to Southpark.  It hits quite a few density nodes where large scale projects/apartments exist or will exist.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

Took a shot at creating a streetcar line to Southpark.  File under "never gonna happen" but I ran it from Scaleybark Station since it isn't elevated/isolated like Woodlawn/Tyvola.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id=LynxRed

Keep changing but I think this is my finished ideal streetcar loop to Southpark.  It hits quite a few density nodes where large scale projects/apartments exist or will exist.

Why stop there?  Why not continue it up Sharon and Sharon Amity to Eastland Mall?

I was being unrealistic but not THAT unrealistic  :thumbsup:

It's funny, but the current bus route 27 actually runs between SouthPark and Eastland.

On the topic of light rail, I think the most feasible method of transit to SouthPark is light rail running down the middle of Fairview, and then running alongside the ROW of the transformers that head towards the Woodlawn Station. You could even run it past the station towards Billy Graham, and then to the airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2q-Qs5Pj1JY.kU-Bv5rwj0Og

The problems with the "connect it to the blue line down fairview" is this: LIke 90% of the people working in SP are South Charlotte residents which have no access to 485 unless they are going way out of their way to Pineville station. Park/Colony/Providence/Sharon from the south are the biggest feeders of the Southpark area in the morning. 

At my work, there might be one person who could take the future blue line in from Noda to Southpark. Pretty much everyone else lives in the Park Rd/Monroe/Ballantyne corridor.  Now going to the mall is a different story but I doubt they are going to build a rail line for people to go shopping.

Now if you created a hybrid of morecowbell and SouthendCLT ideas (from Ballantyne to Scaleybark)....that would be a winner.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned yet, but the dome top of the new Lincoln Harris office building has quite a presence in the SP area. (sorry no pics, was driving Fairview)

Agreed.  Even from Uptown really changes the density you see.  Clearly see this from the backside of Tradmark looking at SP.  Cant wait to see when it is clad rather then just the steal skeleton.

The Encore at Southpark (8 story apartments at the corner of Barclay and Morrison) has their topping out ceremony tomorrow.  Even though it is 8 stories above ground, I really doesn't rise much above the treeline on Barclay due to the weird position on the corner and the giant trees they actually left.

Should officially dead projects be removed from the development map? (i would think yes?)

We debated that on the development maps forum... having the dead project exist in some form (dead projects layer or something) creates a data point that shows future development hot spots.  Assembled property that has no current plans is also a data point that can be used to forcast future potential of a neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2015/03/bank-of-america-moves-annual-meeting-out-of-uptown.html?page=2

Not a project, but I thought it was interesting to note. BofA is moving its annual meeting to the Marriott in South Park, they didn't give a reason, but I think it's to hide from protests haha.