SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

Barclay Downs would literally implode if that Target ever got built. It can't handle the traffic it already has and with 1000+ apartments and two office towers under construction...

However the Park South extension to Carnegie (if it ever gets built) would help alleviate a lot of that traffic mess.

Being a South Park resident for the foreseeable future, I'm excited about all of the growth, but traffic is going to suck.  I wish there were plans to bring a streetcar down Tyvola from that Light Rail station, with a few stops on Fairview.  Not sure that's really doable, and construction would make the area a nightmare for a couple of years, but one can imagine.

^ do people still live in South Park?

No.  It's a ghost town.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

^This would be pretty sweet to have ready for the PGA Championship in August 2017, since it's right next to Quail Hollow. Is there a timeline?

I don't think there has been a timeline in.....forever lol.

So....Dee Dee Harris is back with her Ritz Carlon Residences.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/099-111/2014-106%20site%20plan.pdf

http://bhmarc.com/?portfolio=quail-hollow-village

I don't even know what I could possibly say about this.

Personally, I think those buildings are ugly. Just don't care for the typical crap design.

So....Dee Dee Harris is back with her Ritz Carlon Residences.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/099-111/2014-106%20site%20plan.pdf

http://bhmarc.com/?portfolio=quail-hollow-village

I don't even know what I could possibly say about this.

This is actually a joint venture with Stiles and will include a Publix and conventional apartments, not a Ritz Carlton. 

Publix has always been pretty ballsy when it comes to locations. Throughout much of Florida they have been pioneers of setting up shop in urban locations even back when nearly every other grocer only cared about the new suburbs. Some of these older, smaller stores still stand as center pieces of their respective neighborhoods. There are still quite a few really cool and we'll kept art deco buildings. Also, they have never been shy about opening up right across from an established competitor.....and they more often than not end up winning that battle.

^ no connection other than having the same last name...

Harris Teeter was founded by two entrepreneurs, William Thomas Harris and Willis L. Teeter, who started their separate businesses during theGreat Depression in Charlotte, North Carolina, and later merged them.

Harris, an employee of the A&P store on Central Avenue and Pecan that was Charlotte's first supermarket, borrowed funds in 1936 to open the Harris Super Market at 1704 Central Avenue.[6] The store had eight employees. It was primarily a dry goods store because frozen foods andrefrigeration did not become common until World War II. To the family and then employees, it was known as Store #1. This store, known as Harris Teeter store #201, closed on June 5, 2012, and was replaced by a two-story store #401 on the same site, which opened on May 29, 2013.

Harris' store was the first in North Carolina to allow customers to select their own groceries off shelves. Before this time, customers handed a shopping list to a clerk, who then selected the groceries for the customers. The store was also open until 9 p.m. on Fridays, at a time when most grocery stores closed their doors at 5 p.m. This was done to appeal to working families and to capture their grocery shopping after they were paid on Fridays. Later, the Harris Super Market was the first grocery store in Charlotte to add air conditioning.[7]

Harris also ran his own dairy farm and sold products from his dairy in his stores. For his wife, LaVerne, the dairy products carried the brand name of Vernedale Farms. Harris pioneered the first dairy co‑op among local dairy farmers. After running the co-op for several years, he negotiated its sale toPet Dairy.

Harris Super Markets began primarily as a family business. Most of Harris's brothers and sisters were employees, and brothers and brothers-in-law were store managers. His sister, Sarah, ran the accounting department and his wife's sister was Harris's personal secretary. His son, Donald Thomas Harris, began working for the company at 8 years old by sweeping floors. Donald suggested that Harris Teeter should carry more than just food products, and recommended the introduction of health and beauty aids, school supplies, bakeware, kitchen tools, and seasonal items (such as coolers in the summer). His father liked the idea and told Don that he should create and run that division of the company, which he did until his retirement in 1995. He was the last member of the family that worked for the company.

Harris was instrumental in the permanent placement of kindergarten in the South Carolina public school system, and supported the effort to turn Charleston College into what is known today as the College of Charleston.

This may not even technically be in SouthPark, but it's definitely not Myers Park - http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/pollack-shores-purchases-stratford-apartments-on.html

Actually this site is located in the Myers Park school district.  From what I have been told my locals, the east side of Park Rd is considered Myers Park.  This site is at the corner of Park Rd and Selwyn Ave.  All of the homes along Selwyn are considered Myers Park.  So, although definitely not in the heart of Myers Park, it is on the edge of Myers Park for sure.    

Actually this site is located in the Myers Park school district.  From what I have been told my locals, the east side of Park Rd is considered Myers Park.  This site is at the corner of Park Rd and Selwyn Ave.  All of the homes along Selwyn are considered Myers Park.  So, although definitely not in the heart of Myers Park, it is on the edge of Myers Park for sure.    

It's considered Myers Park by realtors.  Kinda like Forest Park is now Dilworth or Myers Park and the north side of Wendover Ave being marketed as Eastover (HA!).  I owned a condo in Selwyn Village for five years and we always used to joke about living in "lesser Myers Park" (and it's hellova lot closer to MP than the project in question).  

Edited by Miesian Corners

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new rezoning for a project with 400 apartments, 150k of office, 75k of retail and 250 Hotel Rooms. This would be on ParkSouth. I wonder if this is a realistic prospect or just an attempt to up zone land for a higher sale price.

400 apartments? Maybe but with almost 1000+ apts under construction within walking distance of that site, I doubt it.  Definitely need the hotel rooms. I work near Piedmont Town Row and our out-of-town guests always complain if they have to book a last minute room as the preferred hotels are usually booked.  I am sure they could lease an office building but I would just be skeptical of another 400 apartments.  

There are so many apartments going in that area I really wish we could get another grocery store on this side of Sharon so those new apt folks could actually walk there. Hello Trader Joes are you listening? 

400 apartments? Maybe but with almost 1000+ apts under construction within walking distance of that site, I doubt it.  Definitely need the hotel rooms. I work near Piedmont Town Row and our out-of-town guests always complain if they have to book a last minute room as the preferred hotels are usually booked.  I am sure they could lease an office building but I would just be skeptical of another 400 apartments.  

There are so many apartments going in that area I really wish we could get another grocery store on this side of Sharon so those new apt folks could actually walk there. Hello Trader Joes are you listening? 

With as much employment as there is around the SouthPark area, I think it could actually use More apartments.

With as much employment as there is around the SouthPark area, I think it could actually use More apartments.

i just think that with 1000+ currently under construction on Carnegie and Barclay (with another 200 planned for phase two of old maersk site). It think it will be hard to lease 1200 "higher end" new apartments over the next 12-24 months, let alone 1600 units. Southpark has little appeal to the young crowd as there is nothing hip/cool to do in the area. No easy access to anything. No night life to walk to. Gotta drive 2m through bad traffic to get to a Teeter. And I am sure prices will be as high or higher than SouthEnd which has access to much much more. It is nice for the sightly older professional but only so many of those folks are apartment dwellers.

I wish wish wish SP had an "entertainment area" that would make the area more attractive for living, not just working. No one says "YES! We get to live next to Taco Mac and some office buildings!"  

• Like 1

Retail follows rooftops.......as strange as it may sound for SouthPark, the infusion of apartments into the district will change some of the retail/restaurant offerings. In turn, the proximity to jobs in the office towers and new/existing retail makes this an appealing place for more than just the younger crowd. Sharon Square is 33% leased with construction still ongoing. SouthPark will not be a hip/cool area to live, not all desirable areas are hip/cool, but it has been a success and still remains one of the most desirable areas to live in Charlotte. That is why apartments are being developed in the district and up Park Road all of which list proximity to Southapark as the reason to live there.

I am only surprised at how long it took AAC to better utilize the land......could have been the bankruptcy. Will be interesting to see what is developed behind Sharon Towers and how some older properties are redeveloped.

I wish wish wish SP had an "entertainment area" that would make the area more attractive for living, not just working. No one says "YES! We get to live next to Taco Mac and some office buildings!"  

Well, Taco Mac has rebranded itself "T.Mac," so clearly it's cooler now.