Gameday Center | Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back and had a decent time of checking out real estate today. I first went to The Cloisters, I liked them but my parents not so much. I then went to the Tennyson which my parents really liked but I didn't. We then went to look at some K2 homes and I really liked the houses that they have on Old Saint Sugistine rd. Lastly we checked out southwood which i must say surprised me it's a very picturesque place and it seems almost surreal. I could see it as being a very enjoyable place to live but it's too far from town.

I just got back and had a decent time of checking out real estate today. I first went to The Cloisters, I liked them but my parents not so much. I then went to the Tennyson which my parents really liked but I didn't. We then went to look at some K2 homes and I really liked the houses that they have on Old Saint Sugistine rd. Lastly we checked out southwood which i must say surprised me it's a very picturesque place and it seems almost surreal. I could see it as being a very enjoyable place to live but it's too far from town.

Your only 4-5 miles from downtown.

I'm used to living at Balirstone Apts. which is right across from Governor's Square Mall and the convenience of being so close to everything is quite nice. You do have a point it isn't really that far but I haven't seen any houses in southwood that I've liked (I only saw K2's mandalay II which is out of my budget) but that's only because I didn't consider it a place I'd want to see and we went there because my parents wanted to see it.

I'm used to living at Balirstone Apts. which is right across from Governor's Square Mall and the convenience of being so close to everything is quite nice. You do have a point it isn't really that far but I haven't seen any houses in southwood that I've liked (I only saw K2's mandalay II which is out of my budget) but that's only because I didn't consider it a place I'd want to see and we went there because my parents wanted to see it.

FYI, you can buy a custom lot and build any house you want (ie any style).

This is a decent time to buy because the market is a little soft.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 8.28.06

SonyShots007-1.jpg

SonyShots008-1.jpg

SonyShots010-2.jpg

SonyShots011-2.jpg

SonyShots018-1.jpg

SonyShots006-1.jpg

• Despite my disappointments with the top floor of the building, I must say it feels me with pride to see the final touches going onto the Gameday Center. This is Tallahassee's second highrise building going up in 2 short years. I'm glad to see downtown moving forward again after virtually no development during the 90s. We must continue at this pace to build a vibrant, 18-hour downtown, and community destination.

• Crews enjoyed a cigar on the patio of a second floor balcony on the West Side of the building when I first arrived with my Camera. Crape Mytrles have been planted, and the fountains are ready to run soon also. I tried to call Gameday today to see when they plan to open for business. I'm also interested in knowing who will be working there as the management group (possible job for myself if I can talk to the right person :D ). I'd also be interested in knowing if they have any plans to do something ornimental with the big box on the top of the building. Say something similar to the object on top of the Florida League of cities building, only scaled to cover up this box with some garnet and gold flashing.

What do you all think of the near-final product?

Have those steps on the Bronough side always been there? I don't think so since I walk that area a lot. Be good to at least access Kleman from Bronough and College.

Oh joy, they planted crappy myrtles, just what this city needs more of!

The view from the Post Office is HORRIBLE. The front view is better, but the best view IMO is from Bronough which technically is the back. The main reason I like that view is b/c that view makes the bldg. look the tallest.

I agree. The building does look taller from the West Side.

I'm hoping they will continue on making the exterior of the building more attractive. The balconies should be painted. Maybe they could do their little Gameday Center logo on the blank side of the building facing the Post Office.

• 1 month later...

Wow, please tell me that's just temporary signage??????

I don't care for the Signage ether. To me the sign looks like something you would pin on to your shirt or fishing cap! I would have preferred single-letter box letters (Ex: T-A-L-L-A-H......) with nice lighting in the back of each letter.

I also don't care for the patios seems like some of the tenets wont have any privacy from the guy next to them. And in some cases looks like if you lean over your railing you could prob see in to your neighbors loft.

As for the Brick work, I don't like how it looks "dry" in some spots and "wet" in others. I have laid brick before on houses and usually this dissipates in a few weeks not a few months so this looks permanent.

As for the landscaping why put up Messy puny little trees (Crape-Myrtles) for such a nice building. I would have preferred Palms for this one.

All in all the building design is nice but I am only a fan of the Bottom-half and not the top half. I love arches in Architectural design.

I have concerns about the cement balconies not being painted. If you're on the ground and look up at them, its not very attractive, and they look as if they would break if too much weight were on them. I would suggest they go ahead and paint the balcony floors the same creme color used on the building.

I'm only fine with this signage because they've used the same signage on their other properties. At least ours doesn't say GameDay like it does in other places. I'm happy with everything from the 10th floor down. The 11th floor and roof are the only disappointments in my opinion.

I don't care for the Signage ether. To me the sign looks like something you would pin on to your shirt or fishing cap! I would have preferred single-letter box letters (Ex: T-A-L-L-A-H......) with nice lighting in the back of each letter.

As for the landscaping why put up Messy puny little trees (Crape-Myrtles) for such a nice building. I would have preferred Palms for this one.

Ah dude excellent observation.....fishing cap pin is the perfect analogy. I don't care if our Gameday signage is similar to all their other properties, our Gameday sits on a prominent spot in town and cheap tacky signage doesn't cut it. I've actually never seen a condo w/that type of "fast food" signage before. As mracca said, single letter signage was the way to go on this one. Bottom line we need a better sign code and enforcement.

And you know I'd have preferred palms to crappy myrtles. Across the walkway they have windmill palms at the Imax that look great and don't drop crappy myrtle carnage all over the sidewalk.

I'm only a fan of this bldg. from the 2nd to 10th floors. The top and bttm need help and it really would not cost too much to fix the problems.

If they could have accomplished the same shaped letters with the individual metal pieces as you all prefer that would be my #1 choice. But I'm not one to complain about something as minor as this.

I didn't complain about the Harry's signage either, and I don't recall hearing any of you complain about it. Nor the signage at the IMAX.

DSCF2207.jpg

DSCF1623.jpg

Archived