Gameday Center | Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever waltz through the plaza after a drink at harrys, or some other intoxicant! IT is so surreal! what a place to call home! Always an interesting shadow, angle, color change, or dome to see! Some of my fondest memories were of renessaince festivals and shakespeare plays when the plaza was more grass then development!

It will remain open space. Before the Challenger Learning Center's land was donated, the space that is currently open was to become the City Hall Annex. However, sacrifices were made so we could preserve that last remaining parcel. Its actually supossed to be reshaped to point toward the Dolphins at the Capitol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Pensacola and Stadium Dr. this is the ugliest building downtown. I can't wait until they finish. That enormous box on the roof is a major eye soar.

I agree TJ! I was driving east on Tennessee the other day and this bldg. came into view and I immediately thought to myself "I"m glad to see a new high-rise downtown, but that tin roof w/the brick looks kinda cheap and tacky to me." I think they did a fine job w/the bldg. but when they got to the roof and top of the bldg. they messed it up. Correct me please if I'm wrong, but I don't think the finished product at the top is what they "sold" us in the beginning w/the renderings???????

Don't worry, the Marriott off of MaComb will be much uglier than this building.

Not if they landscape it w/a few palms! :P

Technically isn't that bldg. on Railroad Ave and Gaines? Only reason I ask this is b/c I am wondering..where does that name change occur? At Gaines? At Madison? or at Pensacola? And doesn't it change names again to the south at FAMU Way to Wannish?

It is Railroad from FAMU Way North to Pensacola Street. Macomb after that.

Look at these pictures... I'll attempt to point out some differences.

Markup.jpgcenter_big.jpg

The red shows the missing roof features that were shown in the initial rendering. These added the most charm to the building, and helped to give the building some character in addition to the much needed brick up top.

Blue line shows the cheap stucco piece that they decided to put along the top vs. what was initially proposed with the roof top features that had more brick than anything else. The way it was before, the attention was taken away from the metal roof (which btw was originally proposed) and put onto the triangular shapes, now the cheap looking metal roof top is the main focus.

Purple box shows the center windows are worlds different from what was initially drawn. Bad move to change this in my opinion.

Looking at the side of the building, the green boxes show, no more balcony for the north side of the building. Seems only thing they remained true to were the bricks throughout most of the building.

^Very good post and info there TJ. Yeah I went back and saw that the tin roof was part of the original design, but w/out the triangles and brick at the top, the roof sticks out like a sore thumb. I think the worst change was the difference in the center w/the windows. That feature really seemed like it could make a difference in the look of the building. In your photo you can't see the entrance, did it change also? I like the rendering's entrance, but I can't tell if it's the same or not. The bldg. now just looks like a brick square box w/a metal roof. Now don't get me wrong, it's not an awful project, but it could have been done much better w/just a few architectural features here and there.

This project really makes me appreciate the Tennyson so much more!

In my opinion the Tennyson looks almost better than its early renderings, and the Gameday center looks worse. Did construction costs increase mid project forcing them to cut back? These look like cost cutting measures.

The metal roof in the renderings looks like it was taller and steeper than the actual roof, as if it were designed to hide that big AC unit better. Luckily, from my office (across the street) I am too close to see that huge box on the roof.

They are putting the last courses of brick on this week where the construction hoist was on the N side of the building. I would not want to be the guy laying brick at the top of 11 stories of scaffolding!

I totally agree with both of you, Poonther and Toolman, I've said many times that the Tennyson looks much better than the rendering and the Tallahassee Center much worse. I know it's harsh to judge the project with it not being complete and all, but at this point we have a general idea of how it's going to turn out.

Tallahassee Center crews were very fast throughout the entire construction process. You can read back in this thread and look at the pictures and see how we commented on the speed at which this building went up. I hope to see them pressure wash the brick when they wrap up the exterior, AND I wish they would paint the rails on the balcony white instead of black. To me, the building would look much better. As it is now, I can see in some way how they are trying to mirror the colors of the buildings at FSU, but the style is Gothic AND Federal, and the black just doesn't look right. Maybe they'll add some shutters to the sides of each window and it'll look like a big Georgian mansion, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I figured while I was dropping my bills off at the Downtown Post office today, I'd go ahead and snap a few pictures of the Tallahassee Center's progress. They've completed the side wall on the left side of the building. Looks like the windows are almost complete. The ground floor exterior is in its final stages as well.

SonyShots010-1.jpg

This Image taken from Ruby Diamond:

SonyShots012-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived