Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

I am a Flight attendant for AA (based in Chicago at the moment) and I can’t tell you how many times I hear flight attendants say “oh I hate Charlotte!”.  They say it because they hate the airport not necessarily because of the city.  A lot of them avoid getting work trips to CLT.  But I just find it sad because it prevents them from seeing such a beautiful city.  Another thing that bugs me is a lot of times when I have Charlotte layovers (I’m from Charlotte by the way),  a lot of the flight attendants only walk one block from the hotel and then they say Charlotte is boring.  I’m like dude…..come on….SMH

Don't worry about them. We don't have a shortage or a quota on morons, and we don't need more. Just go along with them.  They will just complain about everything so you can't fix it.  I'm not saying that lots of hotels in the airport area are in screwed up areas, but we certainly aren't alone. They must not realize that airport areas are usually low rent areas. 

Edited by Professor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Professor said:

Don't worry about them. We don't have a shortage or a quota on morons, and we don't need more. Just go along with them.  They will just complain about everything so you can't fix it.  I'm not saying that lots of hotels in the airport area are in screwed up areas, but we certainly aren't alone. They must not realize that airport areas are usually low rent areas. 

We actually have two uptown hotels, one Southpark hotel, and at least 3 or 4 airport hotels that we use.  But even the uptown ones they still complain. Oh well

I had some vendors come into Charlotte yesterday from Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit and they all commented how nice our airport is.  I didn't solicit any feedback from them on their thoughts...came out in the course of our conversation.  A, B, and E at peek travel times can be a mess, but the facilities and amenities are above average.

• Like 3

While I don't really share her opinion on these things, my daughter regularly flies home from BWI. Every trip she raves about how low stress and efficient BWI is (granted she is using the relatively quiet AA concourse), and constantly botches about CLT, crowding and inefficiency. -Every trip- she's gotta tell me how much she hates CLT and loves BWI.

[my kid is 23 and rapidly approaching being a fully-formed human, but I feel like this complaining is the last vestige of her teenagedom].

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know some hotels out near the airport are bad and in precarious areas, but uptown and South Park should be a treat for them unless they are just don't adapt to places that aren't their hometown or usual environment.  Some people just aren't outgoing and are never adaptive or happy. Their problem. As far as the airport, I think it is as good as any large U.S. airport, better than most. Yea, it gets busy, but that is what makes it prosperous.  Charlotte airport has  what was the the second best USO in the U.S. That is a plus for veterans and those on active duty. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

CLT needs to pressure AA to agree to a much more $$$ master lease agreement and figure out how to fund the rebuild of Concourse B and C ASAP. It will be painful. It will be expensive. AA will not like it and will kick and scream (just like their concerns with the Chicago O'Hare replacement terminal)... they will probably threaten to move flights to other hubs saying CLT no longer makes financial sense... but it needs to happen.

AA is just kicking the can down the road right now by packing more and more people into those aging concourses.... B is doing an average of 8.4 departures per day from those 16 gates... that's 135 daily flights on AA at Concourse B... . If AA wants to run that kind of volume through the concourse, it needs to be bigger. 

I don't know what the private discussions are between CLT management and AA. It is a symbiotic relationship, but I'd imagine CLT often feels like AA has the upper hand in negotiations (threatening to cut flying by 40% and routing over other hubs, et.) as they'd clearly be the tenant in a replacement to B and C and the most impacted by operational inefficiencies during construction. If AA went away completely as a hub here and we were the size of RDU... you could just shut down B, C, and E completely and operate out of the nicer A concourses and Concourse D and more than meet demand for a city our size that is not a hub with ~45 to 50 gates. 

Girl AA wouldn’t go nowhere.  They value Charlotte too much.  And I’m not so sure they’d be able to find a city that would be a good alternative.  Maybe Nashville? Doubt it though.  

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

A recent thread on Reddit entitled "Worst Airport in America?" drew a bunch of upvotes and comments. I'll let you guess which airport they're talking about.

I guess it’s a good thing I fly Delta through ATL or DTW (especially DTW) out of GSP instead of American through CLT then. :lol: 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

I guess it’s a good thing I fly Delta through ATL or DTW (especially DTW) out of GSP instead of American through CLT then. :lol: 

Oh yeah Atlanta is never ever crowded or packed on those subway trains underneath connecting the gates.  

• Haha 3

If, and that's a BIG, IF AA were to threaten or downsize their CLT hub , United would be meeting with CLT officials the next day.  They would be happy to finally have a true southeast hub. 

AA and CLT just needs to bite the bullet and replace B & C. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kermit said:

While I don't really share her opinion on these things, my daughter regularly flies home from BWI. Every trip she raves about how low stress and efficient BWI is (granted she is using the relatively quiet AA concourse), and constantly botches about CLT, crowding and inefficiency. -Every trip- she's gotta tell me how much she hates CLT and loves BWI.

[my kid is 23 and rapidly approaching being a fully-formed human, but I feel like this complaining as the last vestiges of her teenagedom].

I believe you are correct in your assessment. Fortunately, our kids generally start seeing reality, forming their own opinions, and questioning their former peer and college instructor driven ideologies the closer they get to 40. 

Edited by Professor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, KJHburg said:

Oh yeah Atlanta is never ever crowded or packed on those subway trains underneath connecting the gates.  

I have never had a single issue with boarding those trains. They run very frequently. Maybe I have just gotten lucky??? And I know Atlanta isn’t the greatest airport there is but I also don’t feel like it’s as bad as some people make it out to be. Their international terminal especially is nice. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

I believe the flights are essentially public charters that are open for scheduled passenger bookings. Viva Aerobus operated into Charlotte pre-pandemic on a similar schedule (once weekly on Sunday) on behalf of Vacation Express. I'm willing to bet a similar arrangement is in place again. 

• Like 2

From Concord airport and Biz Journal:

""Avelo Airlines is bumping up service on its only nonstop route at Concord-Padgett Regional Airport. Flights to Tweed-New Haven Airport in southern Connecticut will increase to four times a week from twice weekly during the peak summer travel season.

The ultra-low-cost carrier said yesterday that high demand led to the flight increase between the two markets.""

• Like 3