Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

25 minutes ago, NDoran said:

I work as an Airport Director and find that these passenger statistics can sometimes be confused when we are discussing hub airports with many connecting passengers. 

An important distinction to keep in mind: this is a count of total passenger operations, that is both the number of passenger enplanements or (boardings) “folks getting on aircraft” combined with a count of passenger deplanements (deboardings) “folks getting off aircraft”. 

At an airport like CLT, 76.7% were connecting passengers in FY21. Local origin and destination (O&D) passengers departing or returning home (arriving) accounted for 23.3 % in FY21. 

For the latest year, CY23, most of the 53 million passenger operations are transfer/connecting passengers arriving and deboarding (counting as one passenger operation) then boarding a second aircraft to their final destination (counting as a second operation, this time as an enplanement). 

For example, if someone flies from Roanoke to Charlotte then boards a second aircraft for London, this is one person passing through the CLT terminal facilities with the airport counting two passenger operations for that day (one deboarding and one boarding). Roanoke counts one boarding on the first flight. London-Heathrow counts one deboarding on the second flight. Four total across two flights. But CLT (the transfer hub) gets the benefit of counting two passengers operations for that day. 

When that happens, one individual person “counts” as two passenger operations rather than one. This also means that at a hub airport like CLT significantly less than 146,000 individuals are passing through the terminal each day. For the reason that 76%+ of the traffic counted as two passenger operations rather than one. 

On the other hand, the local O&D passenger, for example flying from CLT to Las Vegas on Spirit would only count as one passenger operation for the day. 

If you look at FAA reports - they are usually by calendar year and airports are ranked by the annual count of enplanements only. Generally speaking, airports that aren’t connecting hubs (the vast majority of airports) often have approximately double the count of enplanements. Most all airports tend to tout or publish the larger, more impressive number of total passenger operations (inclusive of boardings and deboardings). 

For the sake of simplicity, you will see marketing people say “ATL had 100 million passengers travel through” or CLT had “50 million passengers travel through”. That’s not exactly true as it’s an overly simplified statement. 

It isn’t 274,000 individuals per day at Atlanta because of how the major hub activity affects the counts. The BTS data also shows this understanding to be true. 

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?20=E&Nv42146=PYg&Nv42146_anzr=Pun4y166r,%20aP:%20Pun4y166r%20Q17tyn5%20V06r40n6v10ny&pn44vr4=SNPgf

Hope this makes sense. 

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2023-09/cy22-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf

http://www.stlannex.com/blogs_2020/blog_airport_connections#:~:text=Charlotte%20Douglas%20International%20(CLT)%20has,percentage%20at%20a%20meager%203.0%25.

https://filecache.mediaroom.com/mr5mr_cltairport/179771/download/CLT%20FY%202021%20Annual%20Comprehensive%20Financial%20Report%20FINAL%201.28.22.pdf

"At an airport like CLT, 76.7% were connecting passengers in FY21. Local origin and destination (O&D) passengers departing or returning home (arriving) accounted for 23.3 % in FY21."

HUGE thank you for this, I've been asking for this particular stat from the people who sell advertising at the Airport. They trot out the big numbers, which is all well and good if I was a credit card company or a macrobrewery. I, personally, am trying to attract people that are leaving the airport to come to Charlotte, so thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Is there a list of airports based on local origin and destination figures?

Lots of data to play around with here: https://data.transportation.gov/Aviation/Consumer-Airfare-Report-Table-1-Top-1-000-Contiguo/4f3n-jbg2/data

https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy/domestic-airline-consumer-airfare-report

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Raleigh, the second most over-served U.S. market (after Austin, relative to local demand) for international traffic is set to announce another international carrier next week. I believe it is Aer Lingus to Dublin. 

Really a testament to RDU’s successful air service development program. 

Given the pharmacuetical industry and contract research organizations and tech companies located in the Triangle do you think it would do good?  I think probably on air freight alone it could be profitable.  Ireland is quite the tech and pharma center itself.     Ireland's Biopharma Sector | IDA Ireland  Look at the companies that are in Ireland and many of those same companies are in the Triangle.  

Plus I am hearing AA is maybe letting British Airways fly their London route and if that happens RDU could have 5 European carriers with this announcement on Monday.  Aer Lingus (maybe) British Airways (maybe taking over route) and Air France, Lufthansa and Iceland Air.  

Maybe CLT should try to attract some foreign flag carriers but I am betting most of their European service is based on their high value tech and pharma industries air cargo. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

Not CLT specific but Charlotte area specific.  Concord-Padgett Regional Airport has an announcement tomorrow and appears to be in line for new service on Ultra Low Cost Carrier Avelo Airlines!

Original flights would be to New Haven, CT with the likelihood of flights to Florida coming in the future.  

Avelo has already set up a base at RDU and operate to several other airports in the Carolinas in Wilmington, Asheville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Greenville, SC.

I supposed they found Concord to less costly and less congested.  This will be Concord's 2nd carrier along with Allegiant.

Not surprising, but I feel like this could be a bigger deal in the near future. Allegiant was suppose to build a "base" with (2) 320's stationed at JQF a couple years back. Instead, they have shrunk their Concord ops. 

If Avelo can figure out solid expansion plans, I could see a 737 being based here with multiple flight adds by EOY. 

I recall Avelo stated in a government filing when they first started flying that they had intentions to serve CLT, but JQF has the space and is likely cheaper to operate so it makes sense. 

I personally cannot imagine they would want to go and compete with Allegiant on their Florida routes - I can't imagine Avelo growing there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

I recall Avelo stated in a government filing when they first started flying that they had intentions to serve CLT, but JQF has the space and is likely cheaper to operate so it makes sense. 

I personally cannot imagine they would want to go and compete with Allegiant on their Florida routes - I can't imagine Avelo growing there. 

Definitely agree - maybe they try northern routes first.

There are FL gaps in Allegiants routes that Avelo could try. PBI, VPS, and RSW all come to mind.

Regarding work at CLT: 
I think this has been asked before, but I can't recall. Are they working on more efficient baggage handling? CLT is still consistently, far and away the slowest bag retrieval I ever experience flying. Experienced it once again last night. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Regarding work at CLT: 
I think this has been asked before, but I can't recall. Are they working on more efficient baggage handling? CLT is still consistently, far and away the slowest bag retrieval I ever experience flying. Experienced it once again last night. 

I would have to go back and lookup what I did before, but they are at least expanding the baggage area to like 8+ carousels (running perpendicular to how they go now).  That alone should at least make the wait better and less congested.  I assume all the new additions will mean new infrastructure in the backend.

While I always complain it takes too long, every time I say I will go get the car in Long Term and have my wife wait for the checked bag...she texts me before I typically gotten to the car and it would have been faster to wait and not circle back LOL. 

• Like 1