Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

American adds Charlotte (CLT)-Quebec City (YQB) starting in August: 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/98216418

That would bring the Canadian destinations to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Quebec City. Quebec City doesn't have pre-clearance though so the flight will need to arrive as a full international arrival on Concourse D. Will be interesting to see if they pick mainline like an A319 or a PSA regional CRJ-900. 

I could see AA adding Halix at some point where they have some flights to the Northeast hubs, but CLT would provide better connections to warm beach getaways. Winnipeg and Edmonton seem very long and thin routes and AA doesn't fly to those airports today. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

That would bring the Canadian destinations to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Quebec City. Quebec City doesn't have pre-clearance though so the flight will need to arrive as a full international arrival on Concourse D. Will be interesting to see if they pick mainline like an A319 or a PSA regional CRJ-900. 

I could see AA adding Halix at some point where they have some flights to the Northeast hubs, but CLT would provide better connections to warm beach getaways. Winnipeg and Edmonton seem very long and thin routes and AA doesn't fly to those airports today. 

Should I infer from this news that Porter has decided not to operate its E195s from Pearson to Charlotte?  I think I remember that being discussed as one of their planned expansions a couple years ago?

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

Should I infer from this news that Porter has decided not to operate its E195s from Pearson to Charlotte?  I think I remember that being discussed as one of their planned expansions a couple years ago?

Porter shifted strategy to chasing leisure travel. Looks like the new planes they received got deployed to Florida and Vegas instead. In 2023 they added routes to Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa,  Fort Myers, and Las Vegas. I think that indicates we may be waiting a while. Their US destinations are the mega CSAs (NY, LA, CHI, SF, DC, BOS) + leisure / warm vacation spots right now. We don't fit in the large CSA bucket or leisure / beach. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Quebec City service is loaded - looks to be a Saturday only seasonal service for the Fall using a CR9. Last flight is on 2 November. U.S. originating traffic to Quebec City has really grown over the past couple years, especially in the fall. 

21 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Porter shifted strategy to chasing leisure travel. Looks like the new planes they received got deployed to Florida and Vegas instead. In 2023 they added routes to Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa,  Fort Myers, and Las Vegas. I think that indicates we may be waiting a while. Their US destinations are the mega CSAs (NY, LA, CHI, SF, DC, BOS) + leisure / warm vacation spots right now. We don't fit in the large CSA bucket or leisure / beach. 

To be fair, that was always Porter's plan - expand to major markets in Florida and both the Canadian and U.S. West Coast first before attempting secondary/tertiary markets. They still technically have Charlotte listed as a future destination on their website. 

It's my understanding that their long haul expansion plan hasn't been very successful and the Embraer operation is largely a money burning machine - load factors are abysmal. It's hard to get specific information about their financial state given they are privately held, but I am willing to guess they have a decent amount of capital in reserve and they are willing to burn through that at the moment in an attempt to build marketshare. How long Porter and their creditors are willing to put up with the losses is anyones guess. 

From what I gather, their Ottawa long haul operation has been far more successful than Toronto's, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter redirect their resources from Toronto to Ottawa. 

I personally don't see them serving Charlotte without some type of partnership with AA. 

• Thanks 2

Nice video of A North Phase II: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mcfarlandconstructionus_cltairport-mcfarlandconstruction-jedunn-activity-7125482452805959682-jLQA?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Funny that we have to rely on the construction firms themselves for updates given the airport hasn't updated the Destination CLT page since late 2020. 

• Like 4

On 2/10/2024 at 12:23 PM, CLT2014 said:

As a French Canadian, I am extremely about this one. With the recent AC up gauge from YUL,  Quebec service out of CLT is growing quite well. Interesting that the route doesn't start until August as June/July are big travel months. 

• Like 1

ls this service connected to the cruise schedules for Autumn New England/Atlantic Canada/ La Vielle Capitale (QC)?

16 minutes ago, csweet said:

As a French Canadian, I am extremely about this one. With the recent AC up gauge from YUL,  Quebec service out of CLT is growing quite well. Interesting that the route doesn't start until August as June/July are big travel months. 

40 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

ls this service connected to the cruise schedules for Autumn New England/Atlantic Canada/ La Vielle Capitale (QC)?

Yes - it looks like most cruises that have a final destination of Quebec City dock there Saturday morning. That doesn't give folks a whole lot of time to explore the city, so while cruise traffic may be a factor in the service, general non-cruise tourism in Quebec is the flight's target market. 

• Like 1

I was in Québec City in September a few years ago thinking I had outsmarted the tourists in their summer season crowds. (I had also been there in summer.) Yet a cruise ship was in port that day and the Basse Ville (Lower Town),  was overwhelmed with people. 

As an aside that surprised me QC has tide changes of 15-16 feet, ~5+meters. River width and depth create much of this impact.

https://www.tides.gc.ca/en/stations/3248

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, allthingsplanes said:

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see where it says in there that B and C will be included...

You are right.  I misread that.  It says that it lays the groundwork for it essentially.  Guessing we will see construction on that fairly soon after the expansion though. 

AA desperately needs the gates.  And we need customs to be expanded.

• Like 2

$970,000,000 over 114 airports is an average of $8.5 million per airport. While nice publicity, this is going to be rather minor / small improvements that aren't going to transform the airport experience anywhere (case in point just 16 jet bridges at CLT). The largest grant was $50 million to Fort Lauderdale to connect two concourses behind security and provide retail space. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

CLT is now taking bids for Concourse A Phase 3...this will be a 7 gate add on to Concourse A Phase 2 which will open up in about 6 months. Any speculation on who will go in here?

clta3.jpg

Good question. I would guess United but they barely use their existing gates and they aren't even fighting AA on fares to ORD at the moment. LCCs maybe?