Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I did an RDU to Seattle for October and Charlotte to Seattle for the same dates, it is almost $200 cheaper out of RDU, and it was direct....how upsetting. I may just drive to RDU next time I fly out to Seattle 

I will go out on a limb and say it's highly likely to be a promotional fare that will be fixed for certain period of time to drive the demand. Most anytime a new carrier starts service or new route, they'll have a set fare. That being said, and it may just be me, but driving from here to RDU to save $200 isn't worth my time or hassle. $1000? Yea, different story. The only way I think CLT gets flights that are code shares with American is if it's a foreign carrier. You won't see many new domestic carriers unless it's on a route that CLT has limited to no service on.. 

^^ A six hour round-trip is a non starter for me plus it would take atleast one tank of gas& this flight departs & arrives during rush hour+ if anything goes haywire you might end up in a hotel for a night. 200 dollars isn't worth it for me.

Edited by js4life

We only had one flight to Ottawa... Nothing to sweat about, but it still sucks were losing a route.

On the Alaska Airlines note, very disappointed with them not coming to CLT. Does AA and AS codeshare? Yes, but that doesn't mean Alaska doesn't have a fit here.

Let's be clear, the 4 daily is only in the summer and usually goes right back down to 2 daily or even one daily in the low season.

AS should add a flight here and AA should cut one of there flights and just work together in scheduling. I'm willing to bet people don't would much rather fly on AS metal over AA metal any day. I myself would still fly JetBlue to SEA from CLT but, if I absolutely had too, I'd take AS any day over AA.

At least with adding CLT, it's more of a low risk add, unlike adding routes like LAX-BWI, SEA-BNA, which is Southwest territory.

Edited by JetBlueCLT

Pretty much every mid-sized city around Charlotte has Alaska. The only reason AS isn't starting CLT (yet) is because of the code-share. There is not a lot point starting a new station when you can capitalize on another airline's flight. I do think AS will start SEA-CLT eventually.

Alaska is one of the airlines we have a chance of getting to Charlotte, along with:

-British Airways

-Qatar Airways

-Japan Air Lines

Edited by Piedmont767

American announced that they will delay delivery of 5 787's from 2016 to 2017-2018.  More importantly, it wants to swap its 787-9 orders for the 787-8, which fits nicely for all those routes to Latin America/Europe from MIA, DFW, LAX, and hopefully CLT.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13129411/1/boeings-787-dreamliner-has-a-nice-problem--demand-exceeds-supply.html

American still has to digest the 15 A330-200's that US ordered along with the 22 A350-900's that'll arrive in 2017, so I can see why they now want to downgrade to the 787-8. 

Doesn't the 787-8 make more sense for long and thin routes like CLT-GRU/MAD than the A330-200?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-Douglas-International-Airport-CLT/260026724048476?ref=hl

CLT Airport Facebook Page has posted some interesting posts, such as:

"Concourse D in 1991. How far we've come. And where we're going! Stay tuned! ‪#‎CLT2015‬ ‪#‎CLTAirport‬"

"We're just about ready for takeoff! Are you ready? ‪#‎CLT2015"

"Are you ready? It's coming! ‪#‎CLT2015‬"

I wonder what's going on? Sounds interesting though!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-Douglas-International-Airport-CLT/260026724048476?ref=hl

CLT Airport Facebook Page has posted some interesting posts, such as:

"Concourse D in 1991. How far we've come. And where we're going! Stay tuned! ‪#‎CLT2015‬ ‪#‎CLTAirport‬"

"We're just about ready for takeoff! Are you ready? ‪#‎CLT2015"

"Are you ready? It's coming! ‪#‎CLT2015‬"

I wonder what's going on? Sounds interesting though!

The airport is going to be renamed the South Carolina Matthews Regional Airport of Gaston & Cabarrus. They're going to replace Queen Charlotte holding a crown to Rucho holding the crown. Nikki Haley will also be coming to celebrate the name change and the addition of a new conference room in Terminal D for Lancaster and York counties for job recruitments.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

The airport is going to be renamed the South Carolina Matthews Regional Airport of Gaston & Cabarrus. They're going to replace Queen Charlotte holding a crown to Rucho holding the crown. Nikki Haley will also be coming to celebrate the name change and the addition of a new conference room in Terminal D for Lancaster and York counties for job recruitments.

Hahahahaha. The pre-edited version of this post was even better...Well done.

The airport is going to be renamed the South Carolina Matthews Regional Airport of Gaston & Cabarrus. They're going to replace Queen Charlotte holding a crown to Rucho holding the crown. Nikki Haley will also be coming to celebrate the name change and the addition of a new conference room in Terminal D for Lancaster and York counties for job recruitments.

I can not get over how funny this is. You should post it to the airport Facebook page.

• Like 1

I think the airport's twitter hints all about the upcoming opening of the A/B Connector. After that the last part of the CLT2015 project is the Inline Baggage Screening system which should be fully up and running by the end of the year.

Surely those hints are for more than this.  Since it's now 2015, are they going to roll out a new master plan for the next 5 years?

To be honest, this puts the nail in the coffin for any QR service in CLT for some time. They could have used their connections with AA at CLT as a gateway to the South, but instead chose ATL. My guess is that even with one world connections, the market for CLT-DOH is still too small.

Disagree.  Atlanta can probably support this market on its own, with QR continuing flights to Indian subcontinent.  Lufthansa blanketed the gateway markets first, even when US was Star Alliance before adding Charlotte, and Qatar will likely do the same.

Charlotte was always going to rely on connections, and them serving Atlanta does nothing to change AA customers from the Southeast.

Disagree.  Atlanta can probably support this market on its own, with QR continuing flights to Indian subcontinent.  Lufthansa blanketed the gateway markets first, even when US was Star Alliance before adding Charlotte, and Qatar will likely do the same.

Charlotte was always going to rely on connections, and them serving Atlanta does nothing to change AA customers from the Southeast.

I do agree with you. But Lufthansa did resume Charlotte in 2003 before US joined Star in 2004. Also CLT and the whole of NC does have a lot of O&D to the Indian subcontinent. In addition, QR has 340 aircraft on order. The next most likely US-destinations for QR are Charlotte and San Francisco. So I do think we'll get QR eventually.

Surely those hints are for more than this.  Since it's now 2015, are they going to roll out a new master plan for the next 5 years?

There are still some master plan projects upcoming that were not in the 2015 milestone, but are still in the next 5y.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/Pages/CLT2015.aspx

They are also working on a new Master Plan which will surely adjust the projects above or inform them and likely add new projects.  They are reviewing their debt capacity this summer which will likely come together with a program of work based on what we can afford and priorities for growth.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/02/city-ouncil-hears-big-plans-for-clt.html

I just flew Qatar through Philly.   It's a shame that they didn't extend to our hub, as they offer competitive prices to Asia ( they were 1/3 lower cost to Thailand than other airlines).  

Some updated renderings for upcoming projects which the airport has labeled "Destination Charlotte"

New Elevated Roadway and Terminal Curbfront

CDIA-4-42_render_1080p.jpg

Construction Starts this Summer.

Once the new Elevated Roadway is complete they can build the new ticketing area in 2019 which will be a vast improvement over the current one.

S1_cam6.jpg

More Details here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/Pages/DestinationCLT.aspx

I do agree with you. But Lufthansa did resume Charlotte in 2003 before US joined Star in 2004. Also CLT and the whole of NC does have a lot of O&D to the Indian subcontinent. In addition, QR has 340 aircraft on order. The next most likely US-destinations for QR are Charlotte and San Francisco. So I do think we'll get QR eventually.

The first QR A350-900 flight was DOH-FRA which shows they are not afraid about targeting Star Alliance and SkyTeam hubs.  Here in the southeast they fly to IAD (Star), ATL (SkyTeam) and MIA (1W), which fits with their strategy.

I agree we'll eventually get them-- they have way too many 787-8 and A350-900 aircraft on order to not fly here eventually.

I'm a little confused - will the same lanes be for departures and arrivals when the project is complete?

I am glad that buses will get "priority" and be closer to the building. That seems like it will make it much safer and more controlled .