Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

June or July of this year??? Wowwiwoww! Hope this comes to fruition.

Also,

US is starting service from CLT-ABQ beginning this June. Operated on an A320

lol and people on A.Net are already saying It's not going to last long and that it wont work because it overflies Ft. Worth  (O'Hare...)

I don't understand the logic on there that Charlotte's Lower cost wont be compatible with American because American has higher cost than US Airways did.... Common sense tells me if American has higher cost than Charlotte should work even better to American's advantage.... The traffic that connects in Charlotte would still have to be connected to another city.

Too many kids on there who talk about "world class premier Uber Goober Megatropagiglopolis Cities" and not enough adults with logic.

CLT-ABQ was a route I thought would be a logical add after the US Airways-America West merger and was shocked to see Clt-Tucson instead.  Glad to see this added, better late than never.  Do you know if it is a seasonal or year round flight.  

I'd be ecstatic about a having Qatar coming to Charlotte, but I'll definitely only believe this when I see it.  They don't really have a suitable aircraft for the route right now, as their 787's aren't fit for long haul flights. 

Any word on British Airways adding a flight to Charlotte?   And this is probably a long shot but what about Japan Airlines?

Edited by CltFlyer

CLT-ABQ was a route I thought would be a logical add after the US Airways-America West merger and was shocked to see Clt-Tucson instead. Glad to see this added, better late than never. Do you know if it is a seasonal or year round flight.

I'd be ecstatic about a having Qatar coming to Charlotte, but I'll definitely only believe this when I see it. They don't really have a suitable aircraft for the route right now, as their 787's aren't fit for long haul flights.

Any word on British Airways adding a flight to Charlotte? And this is probably a long shot but what about Japan Airlines?

I'm very surprised the ABQ is on an A320, when I heard about the new route I expected it to be on an A319 or even a PSA-operated CRJ900 NextGen.

I have heard that Qatar Airways may even use a brand new A350, which do have crew-rests, for flights to the QC. I also have heard that the flight may be timed to capture O&D passengers from Charlotte (and to some extent The Triangle) to the Indian Subcontinent, so have the flight leave Charlotte late morning and arrive in Doha early the next day, before many flights from Doha leave for India. Also bare in mind that the flight may start as early as June or July this year but possibly as late as June/July next year.

As for BA, I haven't heard anything, however route planning is talking about either cancelling the second daily flight to London, making it seasonal, have it operate 5X weekly in the winter or keeping it daily, year-round. Apparently it's either go to become 5X weekly in the winter or remain daily, year-round; but bare in mind that any of the four options they are discussing could happen to US732/733.

JAL I have absolutely no idea if, when, why not, regarding their service to Charlotte. Personally I do think they will launch service to the QC and Philly using 787s. I keep reading on airliners.net: "Oh, PHL-NRT is enviable" And I do think that Philly will get service to NRT, but I also think CLT will get service to NRT. But this is the exciting bit, a rumour is going around that AA may launch service to NRT from CLT ourselves using 777-200s when (and if) they open a 777 base here in the QC. Tokyo Narita is AA's best performing Asian base, why wouldn't we get service to the most profitable Pacific base for AA? DFW-NRT is going to go from double daily 777-200s to one daily 777-300ER, so that's apparently where the 777-200s may come from. It would be great if we (AA) launch our own served to Japan from the QC, I could finally use my Japanese skills!!!

EDIT: Please bare in mind that these are only rumours, they are not set in stone, they are not all facts. I want to start I healthy discussion about this, so if these routes don't come to fruition please do not be mad at me; if they do then great! But I just hope you all enjoy reading about possible future development for our airport.

Edited by Piedmont767

Out of curiosity does anyone remember how long it took from the day Qatar announced the Philly announcement to when they actually began flying?? Wouldn't CLT need more to time to set up a new station for an international airline than what would be given to them if they started flying June/July of 2015???

I'm very surprised the ABQ is on an A320, when I heard about the new route I expected it to be on an A319 or even a PSA-operated CRJ900 NextGen.

I have heard that Qatar Airways may even use a brand new A350, which do have crew-rests, for flights to the QC. I also have heard that the flight may be timed to capture O&D passengers from Charlotte (and to some extent The Triangle) to the Indian Subcontinent, so have the flight leave Charlotte late morning and arrive in Doha early the next day, before many flights from Doha leave for India. Also bare in mind that the flight may start as early as June or July this year but possibly as late as June/July next year.

As for BA, I haven't heard anything, however route planning is talking about either cancelling the second daily flight to London, making it seasonal, have it operate 5X weekly in the winter or keeping it daily, year-round. Apparently it's either go to become 5X weekly in the winter or remain daily, year-round; but bare in mind that any of the four options they are discussing could happen to US732/733.

JAL I have absolutely no idea if, when, why not, regarding their service to Charlotte. Personally I do think they will launch service to the QC and Philly using 787s. I keep reading on airliners.net: "Oh, PHL-NRT is enviable" And I do think that Philly will get service to NRT, but I also think CLT will get service to NRT. But this is the exciting bit, a rumour is going around that AA may launch service to NRT from CLT ourselves using 777-200s when (and if) they open a 777 base here in the QC. Tokyo Narita is AA's best performing Asian base, why wouldn't we get service to the most profitable Pacific base for AA? DFW-NRT is going to go from double daily 777-200s to one daily 777-300ER, so that's apparently where the 777-200s may come from. It would be great if we (AA) launch our own served to Japan from the QC, I could finally use my Japanese skills!!!

EDIT: Please bare in mind that these are only rumours, they are not set in stone, they are not all facts. I want to start I healthy discussion about this, so if these routes don't come to fruition please do not be mad at me; if they do then great! But I just hope you all enjoy reading about possible future development for our airport.

I wonder how long the season will be on CLT-ABQ.  The flight stays on the ground in ABQ from 9:45 PM to 12:50 AM to allow for a red eye to get back into CLT at 6am.  Interesting choice of flight times.  Definitely aimed at business passengers.  

The Qatar flight schedule sounds nearly identical to the one that PHL sees.  Is there really enough O/D from the CLT/Triangle area to the Indian Subcontinent to warrant a QR flight though?  I would assume the flight would be maximized for connections on both ends.

I thought BA would be here by now but I do see them coming eventually.

Call me selfish but I would rather see JAL start the flight with a 787 than just another American flight.  And plus a 772 seems like it would be too large for the market.   

Edited by CltFlyer

I didn't think that ABQ was really a seasonal destination, its interesting it such a short season.  it doesn't  seem like a seasonal flight schedule.

AIso, I  know some of you on here also post on airliners.net and want to promote CLT, but please don't say things that will only feed the troll that is mah4546.  He bashed CLT before the merger was even being talked about, now if it was up to him CLT would be cut from the system entirely.  I'm not sure what his "connections" are, but very rarely have I seen his cryptic predictions from "sources" actually come true.

I'm not actually airliners.net, but I have heavily lurked a.net for years.

Edited by CltFlyer

Miami premium exclusive yields premium high end AA best Latin American playground of course wealthy swedes and poles and sheiks need 14 nonstops a day to go to their winter homes.

Charlotte US Air substandard service not worthy of premium markets just junk yields joe yokel connecting from Norfolk to Birmingham who cares cede that market to Delta

I seriously think MAH is pitbull...dude mentions LA NY and Miami in every song just like MAH' posts

/rant

Reading airliners.net and to some extent FlyerTalk is depressing, I need to take Prozac after reading them, also reading Meck Deck is also depressing. Seriously what is up with people from Miami, posting "Oh, MIA is better than this" blah blah blah. I also HATE working flights to Miami, passengers, who clearly are from Miami, are so pretentious and demanding. I was called slave by an older Russian man with his daughter, nope, sorry girlfriend, on a flight to Miami. "Get me another vodka, slave!" he said in a thick Russian accent. It must be the Floridian sunshine that melts their brains and make them so pretentious, online and in person.

Going back to expansion, I saw a larger diagram of the new Master Plan, it appears that part of C will become international, with D going from the current 13 gates to 6.

Edited by Piedmont767

^I've heard that flights to PBI are hard as well.

My personal favorite is when he compared US first class to FL business class due to US not serving meals on flights less than 3.5 hours. If someone mentions that US and AA basically now have the same Business seat, he loses it. The guy's nuts. There is a US flight attendant active on the board, and when the US flight attendant promoted the merger, he said something on the line of "Your not gonna have a job if it merges, you won't make it at AA".

^I've heard that flights to PBI are hard as well.

My personal favorite is when he compared US first class to FL business class due to US not serving meals on flights less than 3.5 hours. If someone mentions that US and AA basically now have the same Business seat, he loses it. The guy's nuts. There is a US flight attendant active on the board, and when the US flight attendant promoted the merger, he said something on the line of "Your not gonna have a job if it merges, you won't make it at AA".

That is so stupid. Who needs food (that has to be served on real china) and can't be frozen, has to be home made, needs a bread basket, a nice dessert etc on a 3.5 or less flight. American Airlines is not even a nice airline. For the last decade it's been flying the most rag tag aircraft and really, All of the 6 largest airlines (Continental, Northwest, US, United & American) basically had the same level of service.

Edit: Enrilia, the one who makes the OAG post is now claiming his "prediction" came true and he didn't even notice... The "prediction" that Charlotte would get smaller aircraft in place of larger aircraft (which is not true because every month the CBJ post an article about Flights down, Passengers up due to larger aircraft and record volumes). And the validation of his "prediction" .... That Phoenix has a higher percentage of mainline aircraft. Phoenix has ALWAYS had a much higher ratio of Mainline to Express than Charlotte or any other US hub.... :ph34r:  I swear, people need to educate themselves first before speaking with authority....

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1) What will happen to US's legacy 757W's if they won't operate TATL routes from CLT anymore? Will they shift to PHL and MIA?

2) Are Qatar's A350-900's configured for long-range routes like DOH-CLT (with a cabin rest module) unlike their 787-8's?

1)The ETOPS 757, which are in the European configuration, do fly to the Caribbean, today 757Ws flew to (off the top of my head) AUA, SJU, STT, PJU, SXM, MBJ. In fact, any 757 flight from CLT is on European configured 757s, so the 757Ws will stay.

2) Yes the A350 are configured for long haul flights, so they do have crew rest facilities. Akbar Al Baker (Qatar's CEO) mentioned JFK as a possible future A350 destination, so that affirms that they are configured for long haul flights.

Edited by Piedmont767

^Wasnt new signage installed about a year ago? Or were they installed in my head?

Back to the airport:

-New Gate Display Screens have been installed on D. No more old-fashioned dot-matrix looking thing. I attach a picture, which is not mine:

post-30040-0-81675600-1424524023_thumb.j

-Immigration Hall is still as drab and dingy as usual. Had to hold back passengers on 731 from LHR as the hall was full. Anybody know if the updated Master Plan includes anything about renovating the Immigration Hall and expanding it to C, as the plan includes about 12 gates on C to become international?

EDIT: To the person who posted information on FlyerTalk, it was purely speculation and rumours that I have heard going around the employees, here in Charlotte. I clearly mentioned that it is only speculation and it is a rumour, though you posted it as though I claimed that it was fact, I did not.

RUMOUR- a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

Edited by Piedmont767