Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

While I think what we all feared what was going to happen is starting to happen.

To be fair.  

Demand to Brazil has been falling across the board.  Several airlines have cut back flights to Brazil, it just happens that Charlotte lost all of its Brazil flights.  Did anyone expect flights to Lisbon and Brussels to stick around long term?  

Flights to smaller European markets that were *A hubs when we were switching to One World?  Seemed doomed from the beginning.  I do expect flights to Manchester to return eventually.

I was almost certain that British Airways would come to CLT finally once again, but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.  I don't buy the "well they don't have to because of the joint-venture".  They are fly to every other current AA hub (even PHX).  I still think they come some day. as well as Qatar.

To the reduction in seats.  

If you look, you will find that even DFW hasn't avoided these.  Many cities that used to see all or mostly mainline.  Ex:  BHM, HSV, LIT, XNA, SDF etc....

Now have seen all of those make way for large regional jets.  This isn't a CLT exclusive thing.

There's just too much overcapacity on flights to Latin America from three airports in Florida (MIA, FLL, and MCO) to make it worthwhile for AA to fly to Brazil anymore.

I sincerely wish JetBlue, Spirit, or SWA would add flights to MCO or FLL to open up more connections to LatinAm-Carribean, along with making it cheaper to visit Florida.  SWA is now becoming an international airline too.  

With SkyTeam controlling ATL and Star controlling IAD, maintaining a fortress hub between the two is a must for AA and oneworld cause Miami is too far south for meaningful domestic connections.  Don't panic peeps!!!

• Like 1

There's just too much overcapacity on flights to Latin America from three airports in Florida (MIA, FLL, and MCO) to make it worthwhile for AA to fly to Brazil anymore.

I sincerely wish JetBlue, Spirit, or SWA would add flights to MCO or FLL to open up more connections to LatinAm-Carribean, along with making it cheaper to visit Florida.  SWA is now becoming an international airline too.  

With SkyTeam controlling ATL and Star controlling IAD, maintaining a fortress hub between the two is a must for AA and oneworld cause Miami is too far south for meaningful domestic connections.  Don't panic peeps!!!

JetBlue will never add CLT-MCO, just not happening any time soon. SWA attempted CLT-MCO, and was gone in about a year.

A lot of people are US/AA loyalist which is such asham because I can't stand flying the new American. I've been flying JetBlue out of CLT since 2007 and haven't turned back since, unless there's a destination jetBlue or there partner doesn't serve. I can tel you right now, loads have been great, better than average for the winter season, yields are up a whole lot. With that said, I think a jetBlue CLT-FLL is around the corner. Let's remember, jetBlue use to operate a flight from CLT to FLL, that ended to two main reasons.

1. The the flight was an afternoon flight which missed all the cruise traffic.

2. jetBlues FLL network had about 20ish flights then, the amount of connecting opportunities were small to none.

With all of that said being said, jetBlue is now a serious player in FLL. With about 90 flights and counting there FLL operation will hit there goal of around 100ish flights out of FLL.

SWA isn't going to have an international operation out of FLL for a few years now. I believe there INTL plans will fail greatly, they were way to late on that game. jetBlue has a very strong brand down in southern Florida and a huge international footprint there as well.... Something I dont think SWA will be able to compete with.

Now, when JetBlue adds CLT-FLL, it'll be the following 2 schedules.

2 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

1 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

Now that's just a well educated guess from me factoring a few things, international banks at FLL, cruise traffic, business and leisure.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Frontier try to CLT-MIA or MCO.

JetBlue will never add CLT-MCO, just not happening any time soon. SWA attempted CLT-MCO, and was gone in about a year.

A lot of people are US/AA loyalist which is such asham because I can't stand flying the new American. I've been flying JetBlue out of CLT since 2007 and haven't turned back since, unless there's a destination jetBlue or there partner doesn't serve. I can tel you right now, loads have been great, better than average for the winter season, yields are up a whole lot. With that said, I think a jetBlue CLT-FLL is around the corner. Let's remember, jetBlue use to operate a flight from CLT to FLL, that ended to two main reasons.

2. jetBlues FLL network had about 20ish flights then, the amount of connecting opportunities were small to none.

With all of that said being said, jetBlue is now a serious player in FLL. With about 90 flights and counting there FLL operation will hit there goal of around 100ish flights out of FLL.

SWA isn't going to have an international operation out of FLL for a few years now. I believe there INTL plans will fail greatly, they were way to late on that game. jetBlue has a very strong brand down in southern Florida and a huge international footprint there as well.... Something I dont think SWA will be able to compete with.

2 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

1 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

Now that's just a well educated guess from me factoring a few things, international banks at FLL, cruise traffic, business and leisure.

All of the above please... I have always been a US Airways guy now I guess AA loyalist but I got down to Miami for work a lot and it is no joke cheaper for me to fly from Los Angeles to Miami than it is for me to fly from Charlotte to Miami... LAX to MIA/FLL has American (MIA), Delta (MIA), Virgin America (FLL), Spirit (FLL), JetBlue (FLL) all flying nonstop... Charlotte just has American flying to both MIA and FLL. Hopefully with the new concourse there will be much more room for airlines to expand their operations and airlines like Spirit, Alaskan, and Virgin moving in (I'm also hoping Allegiant moves from Concord to Charlotte)

2 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

1 daily option

CLT-FLL

FLL-CLT

1) I hope you are right.  With AA vacating councourse A and JetBlue moving there, I hope the latter adds new routes and CLT-FLL makes the most sense for all the reasons you mentioned.

2) I also hope JetBlue signs an interline agreement with Azul airlines of Brazil, which is now flying from MCO and FLL to its fortress hub at Campinas (VCP) in Sao Paulo.  Both airlines were founded by David Neeleman.  Azul has a reciprocity agreement with United but that does no good cause United will never fly routes to Florida from CLT.  As a footnote Delta is adding 4x weekly MCO-GRU service in December, but have no plans to make MCO a focus city.  I think it's a defensive move against both Azul and TAM, but adds to the overcapcity to Brazil.

3) If not JetBlue, I hope someone else adds CLT-MCO in the future.

Edited by ChessieCat

Surprised no one made mention of this before, but it looks like IAG-parent company of British Airways and Iberia-will be buying Aer Lingus and bringing the airline into the Oneworld Transatlantic JV.  Assuming the sale is completed, Dublin will become a Oneworld hub and likely render the CLT-DUB flights safe.  Of course, considering all the uncertainty surrounding the airport from issues such as governing structure, litigation, tax exemptions, and AA/US integration, I would not take anything as a given.

Meet the new person in charge of economic development of CLT property

Charlotte Douglas International Airport now has an economic development manager to guide how CLT uses about 3,300 acres “outside the fence” of the airport.

He’s Stuart Hair, and he comes from the Cleveland County Economic Development Partnership, where he was assistant director.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2015/06/meet-the-new-person-in-charge-of-economic.html

Some interesting calculations from Mike Lowery on the impact of expanded customs pre-clearance at CLT. Basically the new pre-clearance cities will reduce our need for customs capacity from 24 daily summer flights to 18 (a 25% decline in demand). I am not sure Brent Cagle knew about pre-clearance expansion when he decided to delay the new international terminal but I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. Nice move Brent (<-- not sarcastic)

Edited by kermit

I usually am a CLT apologist, and can overlook most of the cosmetic and even maintence things that people here complain about, as the flip-side benefit having lowest costs that help up with the amount of service.  The one thing though that is just terrible, from every angle is the customs.  It truly is embarassing, but never realized the discrepency until 2 days ago, returning from Madrid, which has probably the nicest customs area I've ever seen in Terminal 4.  Though, I can only assume us upgrading at a cost of $7 billion or so, would sort of kill the economics of our airport unless the US govt covered most of it (which they're not). 

On a positive, the flight was basically 100% full, and a very high (> 40%) of what I assume were Spainards taking the flight.  The flight def seems safe with the Iberia hub, and level of passeneger originations on the Madrid end.

I haven't used the facility in a while. Didn't they just add a fourth carousel? It would be nice if there were pictures available on line.

Good to hear about the Madrid flight, granted full flights do not equate to profitable fights.

^Does CLT have computerized kiosks for US citizens arriving from overseas?  Am not talking about Global Entry.  

Those things are the best, just scan your passport, answer some questions, get a printout, and hand it to the agent with minimal hassle. 

Edited by ChessieCat

^Does CLT have computerized kiosks for US citizens arriving from overseas?  Am not talking about Global Entry.  

Those things are the best, just scan your passport, answer some questions, get a printout, and hand it to the agent with minimal hassle. 

Yup.  Used it in March coming back from London.  Took me less than 10min from walking off plane to being on curb outside.  All I had was carry on bag tho.

Yes....CLT has those.  Still a decent long line for both getting to the kiosk and then waiting to show the agent. 

Re: Navigator's comment on his speed.  It def has a lot to do with whether you are the only plane arriving, or if you have 2-3 planes of people going through customs at the same time.

I don't think its been mentioned here before but the second daily London flight has been reduced to 3x per week begining this November. Per Mike Lowery at meckdeck.

(Then back to daily at the end of Feb -- thanks wend28. Apologies I forgot that critical detail)

Edited by kermit

Nothing really new in this article, but it is the first time Ted Reed has stepped back from being a Jerry-worshiper.  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/06/09/american-airs-charlotte-hub-looks-to-3-5-annual-growth-more-local-traffic-and-asia-flights/

In other news, the A/B connector is now open.  

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Terri Pope a few days ago, she said that CLT-Europe flights are doing "very well" this year. With Barcelona and London being the "best performing" routes. Also that Dublin and Madrid flights "responded well" with the upguage to the A330-200. Though she did say that Rome will probably be on an A330-200 next year instead of the -300. She also mentioned that international cross-fleeting could begin next year and that they are looking to make Barcelona or/and Madrid year-round flights. I asked about any new flights to Latin America and she mentioned that a few destinations "might be served" from Charlotte, that are currently served by AA from Miami or DFW.

She also mentioned that AA will begin redecorating their gate areas this summer, which will have wifi and charging tables, and will look like the refurbished terminal at DFW:

http://aadvantagegeek.boardingarea.com/2013/03/27/american-airlines-extreme-airport-makeover-dfw-terminal-a-edition/

She mentioned how check-in had been rearranged with self check-in now in groups of 4 away from the counters instead right up against the counters, and how you will be able to print your own bag tag at the machines and just drop you bag off at the counter. Also that the refurbishment of the CLT Admirals Club will likely begin next year with the C/D club first and that showers will be installed at that club. She said that AA are looking into the possibility of a new club on concourse E.

In other news, CLT really needs to improve the custom and immigration hall. I worked MAD-CLT yesterday and we had to sit on the Tarmac for 30 minutes because the hall was filled with passengers from London, Paris, Frankfurt and Munich. :/

EDIT- DRINKING GAME, every time you read "she" in my post take a shot! :P

Edited by Piedmont767
  • Like 1

The performance of BCN surprises me, though US has historically done well on PHL-BCN.

I would like to see CLT-LIM, which could easily be flown with a 757. CLT-BOG could also be flown with a A319.

I need to check, but I think those flights are crewed with foreign nationals (which makes adding service slightly more problematic for AA).